The Orville - Season One - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: The Orville - Season One - SPOILERS!

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, he's pretty much got it. Just like the older Trek shows, you want to go live on the Orville with those people-- if I had to live on Discovery, I'd jump out an airlock. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Great video and I agree with what he says. Thanks, Lupy :yes:
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

RJDiogenes wrote:My artistic license supersedes your medical license. :D
Touché. As they say: ars longa, vita brevis.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

:D :quill:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

Oh, man, THAT is how you do an opening episode to a space opera. Fantastic! They got the humour maybe a little too juvenile, the science was a little off but still broadly made sense, and I liked the Chekhov's Gun of the seed. :D Looking forward to episode 2! :D
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

I agree. They sure got off to a better start than ST:TNG. In fact, I'd say that. despite the heavy homage to the TNG look-and-feel, this show would have worked just as well if TNG had never aired.

I remember when Quark was the comedy SF genre darling among geeks and college students. Even in that pre-TNG era, Orville would've smashed it into the dirt. Even though I've always been a Hard SF overanalyzer (It's a game some scientists play, but for me, bad science really did hamper my enjoyment of many shows), I completely concede that Orville hits the philosophical high points that make SF so very valuable. I predict you'll like it even more over the next several episodes.

It's clearly a labor of love by real fans of shiny Trek optimism, and I sure can use some of that -- but it makes you think, too, if you're so inclined, as Jesus noted in his "Parable of the Mustard Seed".

What? A scientist can't have studied theology in their youth?

I look forward to your future comments so I can relive the season.
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

^OK, I'll admit I googled that parable... :D

Episode 2 was brilliant, I completely got where Lieutenant Kitan was throughout. I've been in the "Oh shit, I'm in charge of a crisis situation with no manager around" situation a few times, it never gets any easier - you just have to trust the advice you've got available and hope. I loved the pop culture references, though I thought Kitan might have traded them Kermit for a minute. :D

The whole zoo thing has been done a few times before (notably Menagerie from TOS) but they definitely had a spin on it I've not seen before. I like how matter transmission is something that's out there but Earth hasn't discovered yet, it makes it clear there's still stuff they can't do, stuff they have to research.

I hope we get to see more of Kitan in command, she needs practice to get her confidence up. :)

Episode 3 was a great morality play, though I kind of wish Bortas had won in the end. I guess it shows how hard it is to change a society, and how thorny these issues are - I particularly liked Kelly's comment about what humans would do if someone were born with three legs.

Episode 4 will be up within a few days here. :)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Jim Gamma wrote:Oh, man, THAT is how you do an opening episode to a space opera. Fantastic! They got the humour maybe a little too juvenile, the science was a little off but still broadly made sense, and I liked the Chekhov's Gun of the seed. :D Looking forward to episode 2! :D
The balance gets better as they go along, I think.
Orpheus wrote:I agree. They sure got off to a better start than ST:TNG. In fact, I'd say that. despite the heavy homage to the TNG look-and-feel, this show would have worked just as well if TNG had never aired.
I liked "Encounter At Farpoint" a lot. The first season generally was troubled and uneven, but it really felt like TOS.
I remember when Quark was the comedy SF genre darling among geeks and college students.
I had no interest in that when it was on the air, but now it's in my Shopping Cart at Amazon.
It's clearly a labor of love by real fans of shiny Trek optimism, and I sure can use some of that -- but it makes you think, too, if you're so inclined, as Jesus noted in his "Parable of the Mustard Seed".
Indeed. It's pretty much what I wished for Discovery to be, more or less.
Jim Gamma wrote:The whole zoo thing has been done a few times before (notably Menagerie from TOS) but they definitely had a spin on it I've not seen before.
Yeah, it was definitely an homage to TOS and TZ (although I missed the TZ part the first time around), but with a good dose of originality.
I hope we get to see more of Kitan in command, she needs practice to get her confidence up. :)
You'll get your wish. ;)
Episode 3 was a great morality play, though I kind of wish Bortas had won in the end. I guess it shows how hard it is to change a society, and how thorny these issues are - I particularly liked Kelly's comment about what humans would do if someone were born with three legs.
It was a sad ending, but more realistic. It is hard to change a culture, but you can plant the seeds. This episode was an example of Star Trek done better than Star Trek. Really nice. It's not the last of the sad endings, though.

Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

No, I don't doubt it... this doesn't seem like a series that pulls its punches, for all that it's labelled as comedy. :)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Indeed. It's got levels. :yes:

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

Jim Gamma wrote:^OK, I'll admit I googled that parable... :D
I wish I had. At some point over the decades I started calling it the Parable of the Mustard Seed, which is a different parable. I meant the Parable of the Sower.

Yikes, I think I've been making that mistake for 10-15 years now. I can recall some very confused debates back then. Now I know why. I usually fact-check myself better than that.
Episode 2 was brilliant, I completely got where Lieutenant Kitan was throughout. I've been in the "Oh shit, I'm in charge of a crisis situation with no manager around" situation a few times, it never gets any easier - you just have to trust the advice you've got available and hope. I loved the pop culture references, though I thought Kitan might have traded them Kermit for a minute. :D

The whole zoo thing has been done a few times before (notably Menagerie from TOS) but they definitely had a spin on it I've not seen before. I like how matter transmission is something that's out there but Earth hasn't discovered yet, it makes it clear there's still stuff they can't do, stuff they have to research.

I think I like this episode even better on re-viewing (with added context/familiarity) than I did the first time around, when I was distracted by the newness of everything
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Orpheus wrote:I agree. They sure got off to a better start than ST:TNG. In fact, I'd say that. despite the heavy homage to the TNG look-and-feel, this show would have worked just as well if TNG had never aired.
I agree, and I'm finding The Orville to hold up to multiple re-viewings. They seemed to have assembled a terrific ensemble cast. At first, I didn't like the fact that Bortus is so much like Worf, but they've taken Bortus in some interesting directions that go well beyond Worf.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Orpheus wrote:Yikes, I think I've been making that mistake for 10-15 years now. I can recall some very confused debates back then. Now I know why. I usually fact-check myself better than that.
Imagine how I feel. I've been calling it the Parable of the Piccalilli Seed.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Looks like Seth MacFarlane read our minds about what works for Orville.

The bad news is that the new season probably won't show up for a year....

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Bad news revoked. Looks like Orville will indeed be here for the Fall season.