The Watching Thread #4

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Re: The Watching Thread #4

Post by Gary » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:03 pm

The show Lucifer was canceled by Fox, but a campaign to save the show resulted in Netflix picking up the series. So, while waiting for Season Four to arrive, I spent the last few evenings catching up from where I left off in Season Two. As is typical with Netflix, the new seasons will have stories ranging from 55 minutes to just over 1-hour in length with 10 episodes per season. That means much better stories that are fleshed out.

I also watched to Netflix original movies: 2036 Origin Unknown and Outlaw King. I didn't like the former as the story was too surreal and enigmatic toward the ending. The latter was a fantastic history piece.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:28 pm

^The one about Robert the Bruce looks good.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Mission Impossible: Fallout. Once again, the writers and actors are able to make a spy story that has a great pace, fantastic action sequences, and a non-boring story.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 pm

I love shows get saved by fan campaigns and getting picked up by streaming services-- I just wish it would happen to shows I care about. :lol:

Imagine if online petitions and Netflix existed back in the 60s and 70s....
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

emma glitch
Patrician
Patrician

Post by emma glitch » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Lupine wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:28 pm
^The one about Robert the Bruce looks good.
Tell me more about this please.
Emma Glitch's Reason to Live at http://emmaglitch.com/

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:55 pm

It's this one: Outlaw King. I haven't seen it yet.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Watch Bohemian Rhapsody last night. Loved the movie. It's amazing how truly lonely Freddie Mercury was, yet his talent and energy were boundless. It's scary how much Gwilym Lee looks like Brian May.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 pm

The Mr. Robot guy does an amazing Freddie as well. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Today, while lazing around, I watched The Vampire's Ghost from 1945. It was 57 minutes long. All in all, a fairly standard Vampire movie, but with the twist of taking place in the African jungle.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:05 am

I started watching The Americans via Netflix DVD. I think it's an interesting perspective by portraying Reagan as a crazed man out to destroy a very worried Russia. I never paid heed to the ongoing discussions back when some of you were actively watching the series, so, no spoilers please!

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Watched The Equalizer 2 the other night. Good, but not as good as the original. Too formulaic as the good guys gone rogue trope.

Meanwhile, disc #2 of Season 1 of The Americans arrived yesterday. The disc failed during playback 20-minutes into the first episode (#4 of the Season). Reported it to Netflix and am now waiting for a new disc.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Finished S1 Disc 3 of The Americans on Thursday. Pretty brutal how the Russian embassy guy was taken out while the Jennings are enduring relationship difficulties.

Last night, I watched a new movie on Netflix titled The Highwaymen. It was an interesting movie from the perspective of the law enforcement officers tasked with tracking and apprehending Bonnie and Clyde.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:47 pm

Finished Season 1 of The Americans. I'm really digging this show, although it would have infuriated my extreme right-wing father because the show depicts the Russians as people concerned about their future. Plus, it doesn't exactly paint (Saint) Reagan in a glowing light :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 pm

I wonder how he'd feel about The Donald cozying up to The Vladimir.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:29 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 pm
I wonder how he'd feel about The Donald cozying up to The Vladimir.
He never trusted the Russian and would have blown a gasket over that. As much of an authoritarian as my dad was, he would have had a difficult time voting for Trump unless Illinois had had a Libertarian on the ballot. He would have rather eaten his own foot than vote for Hillary.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Same with a lot of people as far as Hillary goes-- which is why so many people "held their nose and voted for Trump," as CNN put it.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 pm

S2E2 of The Americans has a nice flub when exterior shots of Newport News, Virginia are presented as the scene sweeps past the naval base. The carrier shown in that scene is CVN 75, which is the USS Harry S. Truman -- a ship that construction started in 1993 :lol: The other ship in the background appears to be a LHD (Wasp Class amphibious assault ship), the first of which wasn't launched until 1987! The events at this time of the series take place circa 1982.

I'm curious if the child actors had to be taught how to use a landline telephone.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:33 pm

Joshua Kennedy's new movie, House of the Gorgon, arrived today, so I've got that on speed dial for this weekend. Come to think of it, Chris Mihm's latest movie, Queen of Snakes, should be coming this month, too.
Gary wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 pm
S2E2 of The Americans has a nice flub when exterior shots of Newport News, Virginia are presented as the scene sweeps past the naval base. The carrier shown in that scene is CVN 75, which is the USS Harry S. Truman -- a ship that construction started in 1993 :lol: The other ship in the background appears to be a LHD (Wasp Class amphibious assault ship), the first of which wasn't launched until 1987! The events at this time of the series take place circa 1982.
It's an alternate timeline. :D
I'm curious if the child actors had to be taught how to use a landline telephone.
Yeah, those phones we had when we were kids must look like the crank phone at the General Store on Petticoat Junction to Millennials. :lol:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Last night was Into the Spiderverse.
Miles Morales is a New York teen struggling with school, friends and, on top of that, being the new Spider-Man. When he comes across Peter Parker, the erstwhile saviour (sic) of New York, in the multiverse, Miles must train to become the new protector of his city.
The animation and the story were really well done. A lot of good humor that wasn't cheesy. I was impressed with the number of stars who provided the voices.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:13 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about that one. I might give it a try, since I like that sort of alternate-universe thing.

MeTV has started showing the earliest episodes of The Carol Burnett Show, edited down to a half hour. It's really cool seeing all those old shows and stars again. The episodes I've seen so far have had Don Adams, Diahann Carroll, and the Smothers Brothers, among others.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:59 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:13 pm
I've heard a lot of good things about that one. I might give it a try, since I like that sort of alternate-universe thing.

MeTV has started showing the earliest episodes of The Carol Burnett Show, edited down to a half hour. It's really cool seeing all those old shows and stars again. The episodes I've seen so far have had Don Adams, Diahann Carroll, and the Smothers Brothers, among others.
I'll rig up a TV antenna at the new house so I can watch. I can remember the family watching the show when I was really young. Many times the folks were in tears from laughing so hard.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:32 pm

The actors often crack each other up during the skits, which is infectious. Whenever Harvey Korman and Tim Conway work together, neither one can ever keep a straight face. :lol:

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:32 pm
The actors often crack each other up during the skits, which is infectious. Whenever Harvey Korman and Tim Conway work together, neither one can ever keep a straight face. :lol:
IIRC, there was always a bet to see who could get who to break first. It's always evident Tim Conway could get everyone to break first. This is one of my favorite.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:28 pm

I love that. :guffaw:

And nobody could ever keep a straight face whenever Tim Conway did his little old man. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Chris Mihm's fourteenth movie, Queen of Snakes, came out this week, so I watched it today, along with the commentary and extras. This one was pretty small in scale-- more like an episode of a TV anthology than a movie-- but of his usual quality and with some subtle connections to his larger universe. About 90% of the story concerned two characters, a young woman and her invalid mother. One nice touch was that there was a scene filmed in the local retro-style theater near Minneapolis where his movies always debut-- which I've visited twice-- just before it underwent some renovations to modernize it.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 pm

The trailer for Westworld season 3 is up:

:pony: