Breaking (And Repairing) NEWS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Breaking (And Repairing) NEWS!

Post by RJDiogenes »

In this thread, we shall post noteworthy news items related to TV, movies, books, and other things that will interest the citizens of ReNext.

We start off with some very good news indeed: The renewal of the surprisingly wonderful The Orville for a second season. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Breaking (And Repairing) NEWS!

Post by scottydog »

^^ That's good news. I haven't watched The Orville yet but there's no doubt I'll eventually get to it.
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

<bitterBrownshirt> Renewed? Bah! In my day you knew a show was great if it was CANCELLED before it aired a dozen episodes! </bitterBrownshirt>
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good news about The Orville. :yes: At least I'll have one show that isn't being cancelled next season.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The success of Discovery has led to CBS All Access developing a new Twilight Zone revival. Hopefully it's better than Discovery... and the previous revival.
Orpheus wrote:<bitterBrownshirt> Renewed? Bah! In my day you knew a show was great if it was CANCELLED before it aired a dozen episodes! </bitterBrownshirt>
Amazing how times have changed, isn't it? Back then, Fox would cancel a show almost as soon as it aired. These days we got an unprecedented fourth season for Sleepy Hollow and now a renewal for Orville.
Lupine wrote:Good news about The Orville. :yes: At least I'll have one show that isn't being cancelled next season.
Which of your shows has been cancelled? The one that broke my heart this year was Dark Matter. Not only was it good, but it was designed to be a five-year arc and ended on a major cliffhanger.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Well it's almost certain that Once Upon a Time isn't coming back and it only made it to this season by the skin of its teeth. I heard that Disney practically had to threaten ABC to bring SHIELD back and now they're moving it to the Friday night death Zone with OUAT. And I don't have high hopes for Elementary since like the other two it barely got renewed and it's only getting a partial season this time.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Agreed, on all counts. Although, I don't think Inhumans did very well, so that may help SHIELD if there's no other Marvel show to replace it. I think Disney wants Marvel on the air all the time-- plus the networks are more tolerant of lower ratings on Fridays, so if SHIELD can maintain last year's numbers it may be okay (this could theoretically help OUAT, too).

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits have been rebooted a few times. I liked the 90s version of The Outer Limits. A great show that was canceled was Firefly. Glad some of you like The Orville. It's not my cup of tea while I'm instead (surprisingly) enjoying Discovery. :lol:

Then, sadly, it appears House of Cards might conclude without wrapping up the story. Netflix has a mess on its hands with the collapse of 'House of Cards'
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

It's rather sad that a whole show has to go down just because of what one actor did. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:Agreed, on all counts. Although, I don't think Inhumans did very well,
Amazingly the previews talked of a "season finale" and not a series finale.
Gary wrote:The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits have been rebooted a few times. I liked the 90s version of The Outer Limits.
I never saw the 90s version of The Twilight Zone, but I did like the 80's. I liked the original Outer Limits but never cared for the remake.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ I tried to watch the 90s TZ, but it was too bad.
Lupine wrote:It's rather sad that a whole show has to go down just because of what one actor did. :no:
That's a lot of people out of work-- probably not what the whistleblower intended.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, the next season of Doctor Who is still about 37 years away, but we just got a look at the new Doctor:

I'm sure I'm not the only one reminded of Mork. :D I also see some echoes of prior Doctors in there, too.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I like it. The last 4 or 5 Doctors have been rather bland in their clothing.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I was just saying that to my Brother today. The Doctors from the original series all had very distinctive outfits, but the modern Doctors could pretty much walk down the street without anyone noticing-- it's nice to see a little eccentricity.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:I was just saying that to my Brother today. The Doctors from the original series all had very distinctive outfits, but the modern Doctors could pretty much walk down the street without anyone noticing-- it's nice to see a little eccentricity.
Tennant's was a bit eccentric. The earlier Doctors, from 3 - 7, were less eccentric and more off the wall weird. I think the Doctress' look will evolve slightly as she settles into the role.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think Capaldi's was the most eccentric and even he probably wouldn't have turned any heads. The original Doctors were definitely weirder.