Board move

General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Re: Board move

Post by huggle »

Contrary to me :) I'm a learning by doing board admin. With phpBB2.x I was so familiar that I wrote quite a number of hacks and skins. Alas, 3.x has a completely different file structure and I'm not familiar enough with it yet to do major edits or write hacks. And my knowledge about servers would fill a large stamp..

Thanks for the tip, {{{{{Orpheus}}}}}! I'll try it out tonight after work (atm I'm at my office and our stupid security settings classify my domain as unknown and therefore dangerous and block all access to it. Xenophobic IT-settings - what next, I wonder!?)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Sign of the times. :no:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

After you've filled that large stamp, lick it and mail it to me on a letter. I hear we're doing great things with cloning from small DNA samples now.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

no chance :p I keep a very low profile, both on- and offline. And yes indeed, you need only very little DNA nowadays in a sample. PCR has grown so much better today than it was when I was at university. It's sorta funny, though, that the sequencing itself still works exactly like it did back then. Good old enzyme scissors, dye and electrophoresis. And risk of contamination, heehee: for more than 10 years Interpol was after a female serial killer until they found out it was indeed a worker in a forensic glove factory who didn't mind the disinfection directive. Police all through Europe were equipped with gloves that had her DNA on them. Most embarassing.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Qapla! :dance: Using the standard board settings I managed to solve both the attachment and the external link problem. However, it works only for newly posted images.
I'll try to delete them all and overwrite them with a backup so that the board thinks all are new. Keep your fingers crossed :)
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

tries to type with crossed fingers.... :)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

mre, ty00.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

LOL thanks :)
The resize button works nicely now and attachements get automaticaly resized. Old big pics must be rsized manually because they were posted with the old image tags, not with the new resize tag. However, that prob occurs only in the old picture threads so that there is no hurry and I can edit them gradually.
I was thinking of simply exchanging all image tags for resize tags in the backup but unfortunately that's not possible. The board uses image tags in other contexts as well (avatars, signatures, smilies) and they would all get resized.

As far as I am concerned, we can now move at any date convenient to you. Preferably not next weekend, though, as I shall spend that one with my parents and would be difficult to contact in case there's a problem.
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

I note that some of the javascript graphics library files associated specifically with image resizing/pop-outs are missing.

I assume this was intentional, and part of your fix. If not, that could be a quick fix.

Good job!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Very good job indeed. :yes:
huggle wrote:The resize button works nicely now and attachements get automaticaly resized. Old big pics must be rsized manually because they were posted with the old image tags, not with the new resize tag. However, that prob occurs only in the old picture threads so that there is no hurry and I can edit them gradually.
We can help with that and there's definitely no hurry.
As far as I am concerned, we can now move at any date convenient to you. Preferably not next weekend, though, as I shall spend that one with my parents and would be difficult to contact in case there's a problem.
Sounds good to me. :yes:

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Just a quick reminder: it's moving weekend :)

I'll lock the board by 14:00 CET / 13:00 GMT / 10:00 EST / 05:00 PST tomorrow (Saturday).
This is necessary so as to not use any posts or PMs (the only way to avoid that you make posts after the last backup - sorry for the inconvenience).
I'll then backup everything and copy the database files and all attachments, avatars and smilies onto the new server. That will take approximately 2 hours. Allowing time for unexpected problems, the new board should be up and running by 18:00 CET / 17:00 GMT / 14:00 EST / 9:00 PST.

However: if it rains, I shall be unable to move the board because then my internet connection always breaks down.

The new board's address is http://sdg3.com/renext
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

As someone who's done a few board moves in his time, I'll be standing by with chocolate, coffee... and champagne.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's Moving Day! :dance:

I hope it doesn't get called on account of rain. :rain:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

well...its raining in england today, but....
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

no rain so here we go =)

Thanks, no coffee nor champagne for me, Orphy - I'm a teatotaller. But I might ned a piece of chocolate in a few hours (don't tell my diebetician ;) )