2018 Politics - As Cocky as the King of Spades

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: 2018 Politics - As Cocky as the King of Spades

Post by RJDiogenes »

I almost want to see The Donald or his boy try to stop or censor Mueller. I want to see if Congress will step up now, or wait until the changing of the guard.
Gary wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 pm
I agree, although it seems more and more today's 22-year old is nowhere near as mature and capable as they were 20 years ago; 40 years ago; or even 60 years ago.
I couldn't agree more, but this all happened almost a quarter of a century ago. She's about 45 now. How time flies. :time:
That aside I can go either way, although conservatives love her because she exposed a dirty demmy-crat as a sex-crazed maniac.
Most Democrats have been a bit frisky. The only one without some kind of scandal going on was Obama-- but look at what he had waiting for him at home. :D
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:07 pm
I almost want to see The Donald or his boy try to stop or censor Mueller. I want to see if Congress will step up now, or wait until the changing of the guard.
This Congress had clearly signaled that it won't step up no matter what. Our only hope that is that the Democrat House will actually do something useful.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Rebecca Watson's take on the politicization of California's fires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJll3jg27jg
Perhaps the latest Fallout is God's punishment instead. :unsure: :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Apparently the fires are god's punishment for voting for The Donald. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:57 pm
This Congress had clearly signaled that it won't step up no matter what.
Actually, they've said that they will pass legislation to protect the investigation if necessary. I'd like to see if they'd actually do it.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 pm
Lupine wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:57 pm
This Congress had clearly signaled that it won't step up no matter what.
Actually, they've said that they will pass legislation to protect the investigation if necessary. I'd like to see if they'd actually do it.
And the answer is....
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, but nothing has happened that Mueller needs protection from as yet. Note that it passed the Judiciary Committee.

It does seem to point toward some procedural issues, though, where a couple of people can block a vote that most of the Congress critters seem to want.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The wisdom of our President.
TRUMP: You look at our air and our water and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including – just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.
:mellow: :wtf:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, man. :lol: This retarded circus clown is the leader of the free world, and he can't form a coherent thought or compose a complete sentence. It's really true that in America anybody can grow up to be president. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

There are news stories abound regarding Cohen's having lied to Congress. It's telling how The Orange Menace is fuming and lashing out madly.

A web of lies and deceit: The Trump-Russia plot thickens with Michael Cohen guilty plea
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Now if something would just come of it.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's starting to look like Mueller has quite a bit. And by the time it becomes public, the House will be in the hands of those other guys.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 pm
It's starting to look like Mueller has quite a bit. And by the time it becomes public, the House will be in the hands of those other guys.
If the House is smart, which I believe its members are, they will not impeach. There is no way the Senate would convict. Trump would become a martyr and most likely win reelection -- especially if Hillary Clinton can't take a hint and stay away. My understanding is the incoming members of the House will hold a lot of hearings and will most likely stymie any of the GOP's idiocy. After all, the House controls the purse strings. ;)
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

[ur=https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/politics ... ndex.htmll]Trump struggles to replace Nikki Haley at the United Nations[/url].

I'm cracking up at this article, because Trump uses his third grader vocabulary in support of Heather Nauert while the more level headed people don't believe she's up to the task. I especially like the part which details how she'd get grilled (meaning, shredded) by a Senate confirmation. Unfortunately, the Republicans have a safe margin for votes. Either way, I'm somewhat mortified she's a Trump loyalist, but I'm also laughing that she's fully invested in this dumpster fire of a presidential administration.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:43 am
If the House is smart, which I believe its members are, they will not impeach. There is no way the Senate would convict.
I suppose whether or not they impeach or convict will depend on how bad the situation turns out to be-- if it's bad enough, even the Republican Senate will have no choice but to act. But, aside from how cool it would be to see something like that from a historical perspective, I don't think impeachment is the best option under any circumstance. Whether he's convicted or not, or removed from office or not, he would, as you say, become a martyr for the real hard-core whackjobs-- moreso if he does get removed or is forced to resign. The best outcome for the country would be for the Republicans to nominate somebody else in 2020. The second best outcome for the country would be for him to lose the general election. The worst outcome for the country would be for him to be impeached and removed (although, as with Nixon, it would be a strong demonstration that the system can work).

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I came across one of the more nuanced denonments of George Bush's life.