2018 Politics - As Cocky as the King of Spades

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: 2018 Politics - As Cocky as the King of Spades

Post by Lupine »

^Agreed with all above counts.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

President Obama proved building a coalition by imposing tough economic sanctions is more effective than sending US troops to every conflict in the world. The mission of the US Navy has always been to keep the sea lanes free and open (for all economic commerce). And that's not strictly for the US only, but for the entire world. I think that is a noble and proper mission; however, I have a problem with the hawks constantly griping that we need to spend more on defense and get involved in every little conflict which arises. Afghanistan is the 21st Century Vietnam War, the only thing missing is the numbers of US troops coming home either in body bags or in pieces.

About two weeks ago, a coworker and I were discussing the migrant caravan and how conservatives and others to the far right in the political spectrum keep scapegoating them. I stated the US is to blame for much of the problems in Central and South America and people in the US needs to educate themselves starting with The Banana Wars. The timing of this article is ironic: How US foreign policy in Central America may have fueled the migrant crisis
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Well, the stock market seems to have finally realized that The Donald is president. There goes my retirement savings. :twocents:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

My financial adviser had advised me earlier this year that everyone (meaning the big investment firms) were planning to cash out by summer, because they knew the market was over-valuated. Everything he told me about the meltdown happened almost like clockwork. I'm not too worried as I consider this time to be a fire sale. The timing couldn't be better since I'll actually be able to shovel money into my IRA accounts again.

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Actually, I'm surprised it took so long. I've been expecting it since he started throwing tariffs at everything.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Actually, we're probably safest when the government is shut down these days. :lol:

I just hope that everyone on social security and VA benefits get their payments next week.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

From what I heard they should be safe as it's only a partial shutdown.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The VA actually has a message on their website that their fully funded through the shutdown, but the SSA doesn't have anything up yet.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^His base believes him and that's all that matters.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I wonder how, or if, Foxie reported on that. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I couldn't find any obvious mention of it on their website. They're bellyaching that Nancy Pelosi is vacationing during the shut-down (and ignoring that Trump is doing the same).
Wow that place is a nut-house. :wtf: :peekaboo:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 pm
^I couldn't find any obvious mention of it on their website. They're bellyaching that Nancy Pelosi is vacationing during the shut-down (and ignoring that Trump is doing the same).
Wow that place is a nut-house. :wtf: :peekaboo:
Here is the Fox News bellyaching: Nancy Pelosi is vacationing at Hawaii resort during shutdown

Meanwhile: Trump retreats from public view as government shutdown continues over border wall fight

Taxpayers Dish Out $54,000 For Mar-a-Lago Party Tents For New Year’s Eve
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Fox News is pure comedy. I watched them occasionally during the Obama versus McCain campaign. They had news stories about how Obama's plane smelled worse than McCain's and they had an entertainment segment where they brought on a folk band to perform a pro-oil industry song called "Dig Here, Dig Now." You can't make this stuff up. :lol: