Doctor Who Series 11

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Doctor Who Series 11

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah, that's kind of odd. :conf: The Christmas Special had become something of a tradition.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, and I haven't heard what the reasoning for the change might be.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

An OK episode. I loved seeing the Doctor wear a fez again and there was good use of red herrings. I did find the Amazon allegory a little over the top and the plastic-looking robots gave it a been there done that feel. Still the characters did a good job carrying the show.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The Fez is back! It only appeared on On Demand at lunch, so I've only seen the first half or so.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

A nice "Whodunnit" where the culprit was not the obvious target. Well done.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

There were several nice red herrings in this one-- the biggest one being the main plot. What started out as an apparent satire of Amazon turned into a subversive indictment of the Millennial Generation. "My generation, we change things, we make things happen." Solving problems by making things worse. And the sneaky bureaucrats and insidious artificial intelligence were actually trying to help-- in fact, it was actually the AI who sent the cry for help (and this also answered my initial question of why such an efficient company would just be delivering a fez that was ordered two Doctors ago-- it obviously duplicated a previous order as a medium for the message).

That said, the highlight of the episode may have been the middle-aged HR lady ripping the head off the robot. :lol:

As has been typical, the banter and chemistry between this group of Companions was strong. Initially I thought it would be amusing to have them along for the ride unintentionally, somewhat like Tegan, and spend the season trying to get home, but I like how eagerly they've adopted the roles of freelance troubleshooters. The standout moment of the episode was Yaz asking to take the pendant back to her deceased co-worker's family. There were actually a couple of particularly sad deaths in this one, the repentant family man and the insecure young lady-- until near the end, I was still expecting one or both to turn up alive.

I just hope this doesn't lean to a bubble wrap ban-- I love bubble wrap.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 pm
There were several nice red herrings in this one-- the biggest one being the main plot. What started out as an apparent satire of Amazon turned into a subversive indictment of the Millennial Generation. "My generation, we change things, we make things happen." Solving problems by making things worse. And the sneaky bureaucrats and insidious artificial intelligence were actually trying to help-- in fact, it was actually the AI who sent the cry for help (and this also answered my initial question of why such an efficient company would just be delivering a fez that was ordered two Doctors ago-- it obviously duplicated a previous order as a medium for the message).

That said, the highlight of the episode may have been the middle-aged HR lady ripping the head off the robot. :lol:

As has been typical, the banter and chemistry between this group of Companions was strong. Initially I thought it would be amusing to have them along for the ride unintentionally, somewhat like Tegan, and spend the season trying to get home, but I like how eagerly they've adopted the roles of freelance troubleshooters. The standout moment of the episode was Yaz asking to take the pendant back to her deceased co-worker's family. There were actually a couple of particularly sad deaths in this one, the repentant family man and the insecure young lady-- until near the end, I was still expecting one or both to turn up alive.

I just hope this doesn't lean to a bubble wrap ban-- I love bubble wrap.
I hope that bubble wrap is actually explosive and is used in an upcoming episode. I also got a kick out of how The Doctor disarmed the company president with Yaz explaining how The Doctor doesn't like guns. :lol:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think Ryan popped some of the bubble wrap at the beginning. I don't think any of the explosive wrap was actually shipped-- it was all with that army that got destroyed.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

A commentary I found on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51BOF-EF7g

Mostly sums up my thoughts.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:22 pm
A commentary I found on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51BOF-EF7g

:lol: @5:27. Other than that, I have been enjoying Whittaker's interpretation and hope she stays 3+ seasons.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

So far, from what I heard, the ratings are pretty good- despite some of the clowns on Youtube insisting that the ratings are collapsing and the show is on the verge of cancellation :rolleyes:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:55 pm
So far, from what I heard, the ratings are pretty good- despite some of the clowns on Youtube insisting that the ratings are collapsing and the show is on the verge of cancellation :rolleyes:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Per the stats on Wiki, the ratings are up from last year-- which is kind of sad, since Doctor Capaldi is my favorite of the modern Doctors.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:22 pm
Ditto. I wish he had included Doctor Capaldi's full quote from that episode:

"I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right. Because it's decent. And above all, it's kind."

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^The crowning moment of the 12th Doctor.

New episode tonight! :yes: