Check-In Thread #89 - The Thread of the Snake

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
jgc
Senator
Senator

Re: Check-In Thread #89 - The Thread of the Snake

Post by jgc »

Good afternoon. :hello:

Jim, I hope it goes very well. :yes:

Cayla, Queenie certainly does have me trained! I can't walk passed her in a room without her asking me to stop and pet her. At one point, she was starting to pull out her fur in certain spots, but now that I give her so much more attention and petting, she seems to be better. At least, her fur has all grown back! :james:

Today seems to be a quiet day around here. I was going to go for a walk, but as soon as I thought that, it started to thunder. Changed my mind right quick, I can tell you! :lol:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Apparently, my Uncle Jim has had a minor stroke. He's out of the hospital already, with only right-sided weakness, so nothing too terrible. He's down in Florida and there are conflicting reports about whether he's coming back to MA.
Jim Gamma wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 pm
Just booked a ten-day holiday to Ireland (Dublin). :) Not my first solo trip to another country but the first solo international trip where I don't know anyone there. :) This will either go very well or very badly...
I vote for very well. :D

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:20 pm
Apparently, my Uncle Jim has had a minor stroke. He's out of the hospital already, with only right-sided weakness, so nothing too terrible. He's down in Florida and there are conflicting reports about whether he's coming back to MA.
Glad it was only a minor one.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, now hopefully they can prevent more from happening. I wonder if it's related to that valve replacement that he had.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Jim Gamma wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 pm
This will either go very well or very badly...
Either way, you win. If it goes well, that's wonderful. If it goes badly, in fact very badly, you can write a best-selling novel that becomes a blockbuster feature film :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:20 pm
my Uncle Jim has had a minor stroke. He's out of the hospital already, with only right-sided weakness, so nothing too terrible.
I'm sorry to hear this. Do you know if he was on blood thinner before the stroke? Also, I'm curious if they caught it early -- was he living with someone who was able to recognize the symptoms and get him help right away?
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM.
We have a great Indian market here -- you'd love it. They have a great selection of Indian produce, foods, and spices
:yes: :thumbsup: i have to go to Brighton to get such goodies every 2-3 months - i can buy some in worthing but at twice the price and a few poor replicas in supermarkets...but to get a good selection at a reasonable price of Indo-Thai etc groceries, one needs to go to Taj in brighton.

Fingers crossed nothing major follows, RJ and nthat your trip is fun more than forlorn Jim.
yesterday i got san all day bus pass and started off in Worthing, home for salad, then decided not to waste the ticket so after popping a book back to the local library bussed to rustingon instead of walking to have a gander at their libary selection.then it was off to check the plot - i definitely wont nweed to water for a few days - and i will go down at the weekend to pick gooseberries and check again. i caught L gardening as i passed on my way home so stopped for a natter and she was turning stuff out her garage so i came home loaded with things like plant pots and bird feeders...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

The next couple of days should be easy ones, so hopefully this will be a short week that feels like a short week.
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:42 am
I'm sorry to hear this. Do you know if he was on blood thinner before the stroke? Also, I'm curious if they caught it early -- was he living with someone who was able to recognize the symptoms and get him help right away?
Yes, he's with my aunt, so they probably got him to the hospital right away. They don't really communicate a lot of information, so we don't know exactly what happened. Not sure about his meds, either, but I'm sure he's probably on something because of the valve replacement.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 am
Fingers crossed nothing major follows, RJ
Me, too. He just turned 80 recently and he's always been in amazing health, so he should be okay if they can prevent another one.
i caught L gardening as i passed on my way home so stopped for a natter and she was turning stuff out her garage so i came home loaded with things like plant pots and bird feeders...
That was a productive visit. :D

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Wednesday, everyone :hello:

Some writing and editing to do today. I hope Lupy got his synopsis written yesterday :yes:
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 am
:thumbsup: i have to go to Brighton to get such goodies every 2-3 months
My daughter's band is touring the UK and Europe right now -- they did a show in Brighton last week. Now she's in Brussels. :cooldude:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:23 am
He just turned 80 recently and he's always been in amazing health, so he should be okay if they can prevent another one.
I wonder if they can figure out what caused the stroke and what they can do to prevent a future one.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

It's back to work for me. I'm bracing myself for a rough one. I'm on my own, and no one has been at the office since Thursday. I'm sure the answering machine is full, and there is a ton of mail to sort, and a ton of checks to process. I'll probably be bombarded with phone calls, too.

I hope your uncle gets better soon, RJ.
I'm sure your trip will be fun and exciting, Jim.
Your daughter must be having the time of her life, scottydog.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, folks. :yawn:

Just the usual day here.
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 am
Some writing and editing to do today. I hope Lupy got his synopsis written yesterday :yes:
Part of it. Synopsis's are a pain the in the butt. It's like re-writing your book, cutting 90% out and still make it sound interesting.
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Good afternoon. :hello:

Today would have been a perfect day to sleep ... all day. It's cloudy and rainy and just makes me tired. The cat, too.

If I can get up the energy I might do a little housework. Not my favorite thing, but better than taking a walk in the humidity and rain.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

That was a fairly inoffensive day. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 am
My daughter's band is touring the UK and Europe right now -- they did a show in Brighton last week. Now she's in Brussels. :cooldude:
Woohoo! :cooldude: Is she taping her shows or posting highlights online or anything?
I wonder if they can figure out what caused the stroke and what they can do to prevent a future one.
Hopefully. He was readmitted briefly because he was slurring his words, but there was nothing new going on, so they sent him home again. If I was admitted to the hospital every time I slurred my words, I'd never go home again.
Cayla wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 am
It's back to work for me. I'm bracing myself for a rough one. I'm on my own, and no one has been at the office since Thursday. I'm sure the answering machine is full, and there is a ton of mail to sort, and a ton of checks to process. I'll probably be bombarded with phone calls, too.
Ugh. That's the downside of a long weekend.
I hope your uncle gets better soon, RJ.
Me, too. He's not the type to react well to being compromised.
Lupine wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm
Part of it. Synopsis's are a pain the in the butt. It's like re-writing your book, cutting 90% out and still make it sound interesting.
"...and then a bunch of really cool stuff happens that you'll really like when you read about it, following which an interesting event occurs...."
jgc wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:05 pm
If I can get up the energy I might do a little housework. Not my favorite thing, but better than taking a walk in the humidity and rain.
Can you get one of those boats with a big fan in the back and zip around the Everglades looking for ancient ruins and living dinosaurs, or something?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm
Woohoo! :cooldude: Is she taping her shows or posting highlights online or anything?
She did a live-stream on Facebook of one of their performances in England. That was probably 5 days ago. I'll ask her if there's a way to see a video of one of their live Euro shows.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:11 pm
Synopsis's are a pain the in the butt. It's like re-writing your book, cutting 90% out and still make it sound interesting.
Sounds like mission: impossible. Cue dramatic music. :sing:
scottydog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm
She did a live-stream on Facebook of one of their performances in England. That was probably 5 days ago. I'll ask her if there's a way to see a video of one of their live Euro shows.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Okay, okay. I'd love to see it, I'd love to see it. :D

Lupy, did you mention that you live near Victorville? It was mentioned in today's Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Apparently a hundred houses were swarmed by tumbleweeds last month. I'm not sure if I should believe it or not. :mellow: