General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

impending upgrade

Post by huggle »

the bad news first:
1) in order to upgrade smoothely I shall have to strip the board tomorrow of all extra features and return it to virgin status. The board will then look pretty strange (for an example see http://sdg3.com/terran ). As the new software version is very different from the old one, I can't simply reinstall the old template but must recreate it from scratch. This and the reinstallation of all additional features (e.g. the youtube tags) will take a while. I think by early June the board should be back to its old look and feel.

2) the automated upgrade pushes the board's software to 3.2.2 - the newest version. However, the database refuses to let itself be upgraded that far. Most boards make it to 3.2.0 It is therefore possible that after the upgrade there might be a few minor malfunctions. As far as I can see no vital ones, though. I'll do the last upgrade manually asap.

Good news:
1) so far, 4 out of 5 upgraded boards work fine even with the not perfectly upgraded database. The 5th is a heavily edited test board. TerranBBS appears to work very nicely and it is about the same size and the same software as ReNext.

I shall strip the board and upgrade it tomorrow starting at about 17:00 CET / 16:00 GMT / 11:00 EST / 08:00 PST (DST, respectively). It'd be easiest for me (and for the updating software) if at that time you could refrain from posting and stay logged out.

Keep your fingers crossed :)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: impending upgrade

Post by RJDiogenes »

Thank you so much for doing all this, and I'm sorry that it's so much trouble. Feel free to just disable the board while you're working on it to make it easier for yourself. :)
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

So far, other than being a little slow at times, everything seems to be working- at least all the essentials.
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

^That would be because we haven't upgraded yet, Lupy - it's tomorrow, not today. ;)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, judging from Terran, it's going to look a little weird for a while, and the controls and stuff will be a bit different. We'll adjust quickly, though, and get everything customized again. And maybe the upgrade will give us new features to play with. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Jim Gamma wrote:^That would be because we haven't upgraded yet, Lupy - it's tomorrow, not today. ;)
Yeah, but the site was down for a good deal of the day.
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

my fault, entirely! I accidentially deleted the database instead of backing it up and it took me hours to recognize the fact since I was working on the upgrade of 5 other boards. Renext is the most complicated one, hence I put it back to the last moment.
btw - I'm starting the stripping now and in about half an hour the upgrade will start
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

test
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

YAY! We're back! :dance: A huge hug for Marius from Lunarpages' helpdesk who gave me the required 6 code lines. :makeout:

It seems that not only our smilies but also most of the aditional buttons survived. This auto-update software isn't as bad as I had feared =)
Jim Gamma
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by Jim Gamma »

Awesome! :)
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Testing, one two three, testing.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

This is great. We survived the enforced upgrade. :D Thank you, huggle. :hug:

Not only did our Smilies survive, but I see that my custom BBCodes survived:

It's weird to see ReNext with the default phpBB skin, but we'll get our beloved custom look back eventually. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I've encountered my first bug in the Hargil's thread. The first few pages of the thread crash with an error that indicates a problem with the BBVideo code. The later pages work, but the embedded videos don't, so there must be a problem with the youtube code as well.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Same problem with the Sea Creature Lounge. Only the last page is accessible. The weird thing is that the last page uses the BBVideo codes, so I don't know why it's not crashing. It's not working, though, because the videos don't embed.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I'm running into some error messages in the TV forum in some of the older threads.

EDIT: It seems to malfunction on any page where there's an embedded video.