Check-In Thread #94: Nontotient Plutonium NBA

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Check-In Thread #94: Nontotient Plutonium NBA

Post by australis »

Yep, hnugs for Emma. I don't understand how they can get away with it..
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

:hello: australis.

That is my idea of a perfect day, Madeliaette. Dogs, hiking ruins, and coffee.

Poor emma. :no:

Gary, every now and then, we all need a day to do absolutely nothing.

scottydog, can you and your wife take pieces of the cake to work to share with your coworkers?
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Monday, all :hello:

I spent 90 minutes last night digging out from the snowstorm. I was able to un-bury our two cars and carve a pathway from our backdoor to the driveway, and from the driveway to our front door.

This morning I'll shovel the driveway -- it's about 60 feet long. We have a foot of snow and it's the wet, heavy kind. We'll be stuck at home for a few days, as Richmond has only a few snow plows and we live at the bottom of a hill. There will be no cars making it up that hill for a while.

RJ, let us know what the BBB says.

Cayla, because we're trapped at home, I'm just going to have to be a hero and eat that cake all by myself :lol: :yum:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, crew. :coffee:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:39 am
scottydog wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 am
That's really unconscionable. It's too bad she wrote them that check; she'd have been much better off ignoring the bills they sent. I hope she finds a way to get her money back.
Yeah, usually having overdraft protection is a good thing, but it sure backfired this time. We'll see what the Better Business Bureau says today, and then we'll have a better idea what to do next.
Has she tried contacting the business itself? Unconscionable, perhaps, but what happened may actually be illegal. Emma is someone with vascular dementia and I'm certain that the business wouldn't want to be known as a place that ripped off a wounded veteran.

Glad you stopped by, australis! :hello:
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Scotty, wouldn't rolling the snow away be easier since it's the sticky sort? Like making a snowman, I mean.

Welcome back, australis! :hello:

{{{{{{{Emma}}}}}}} I keep my fingers crossed that those guys will have to pay you back and get fined till they squeak! :banned: Perhaps you could point a few Green Berets in their direction?
Are you going to have enough to last you over the holidays? If not, please don't hesitate let us know and we'll organize help.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Looks like I'll be getting my exhaust fixed on Wednesday....
australis wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am
Yep, hnugs for Emma. I don't understand how they can get away with it..
Me neither. Hopefully they don't.
scottydog wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:21 pm
This morning I'll shovel the driveway -- it's about 60 feet long. We have a foot of snow and it's the wet, heavy kind. We'll be stuck at home for a few days, as Richmond has only a few snow plows and we live at the bottom of a hill. There will be no cars making it up that hill for a while.
Yikes. It's a good thing you have all that pork.
RJ, let us know what the BBB says.
I will. I usually talk to emma about an hour from now.
Lupine wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:51 pm
Has she tried contacting the business itself? Unconscionable, perhaps, but what happened may actually be illegal. Emma is someone with vascular dementia and I'm certain that the business wouldn't want to be known as a place that ripped off a wounded veteran.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Just posting on the BBB forums might be enough to get them in line. I don't know if there's any higher level she can go to in the store itself, but there might be-- it might be a chain with a corporate headquarters or something.
huggle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 pm
Perhaps you could point a few Green Berets in their direction?
That's a good idea. :D
Are you going to have enough to last you over the holidays? If not, please don't hesitate let us know and we'll organize help.
I'm not sure about that yet. We'll have to figure it out.

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:36 pm
Lupine wrote:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Just posting on the BBB forums might be enough to get them in line. I don't know if there's any higher level she can go to in the store itself, but there might be-- it might be a chain with a corporate headquarters or something.
Did she mention the name of the place?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 pm
Indeed she did. Lionesse Beauty Boutique and the reviews on Yelp tell me that she's not the only one they've scammed. I just signed up and added my own review.

Her friend Kent was there, fixing her computer and iPad, and setting up her new phone and Blu Ray, so I only talked to her for a couple of minutes. She talked to the BBB, but they asked for the ZIP code of the place where the products come from rather than the store. I don't understand why they asked that and I'm not sure how to find out, so she's going to call again and see if she can get more specific information about what they need and why. I can always call the corporate headquarters of Lionesse if need be, but we'll see.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

huggle wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:43 pm
Scotty, wouldn't rolling the snow away be easier since it's the sticky sort? Like making a snowman, I mean.
That's actually brilliant. It would be like killing 2 birds with one stone -- a clean driveway and a kickass snowman, too! :santa:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am
Her friend Kent was there, fixing her computer and iPad, and setting up her new phone and Blu Ray
I'm glad emma has people to help her out. RJ, you've been a great friend to her. Thank you.
Lupine wrote:
Good morning, crew. :coffee:
I like being called 'crew'. Makes us all sound like we are all crewmembers aboard the spaceship Earth. :saucer:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM.
That is my idea of a perfect day, Madeliaette. Dogs, hiking ruins, and coffee.
was delightful for us too!
i forgot you guys all celebrate christmas - s-word - is there anyway we can transport scottydogs spare goodies to Emma? she could mnaybe freeze the cake and have that to celebrate with, if not traditional, at least a delicious treat?
I don't understand why they asked that and I'm not sure how to find out, so she's going to call again and see if she can get more specific information about what they need and why.
sounds to me they are being specifically difficult - if Emma is not the sole scamed one, maybe its their way of preventing people from compalining - make it 'too hard' to lodge a complaint???? i guess they didnt bargain for Emma and us lot - Emma isnt the sort to go down without a fight for her rights and we'll all back her up....
well the bathroom is more or less done. the decorator needs to come twice to paint two coats on ythe ceiling , the electrician needs to fix the light/switch, and the manager needs to come check everything is done right and i am happy with the job. i could use the shower now - but the electric wires and ceiling might get wet/damp, so i will be patient and wait til weds night after work. i may put my bathroom things in their again and use the basin though. L has her work start today - they're fitting a wardrobe and dressing table in her room...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I'm dropping my car off after work tonight, so I might be running late. I'm going to a different place and they have different hours, so I have to go after work instead of before.
scottydog wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 am
I'm glad emma has people to help her out. RJ, you've been a great friend to her. Thank you.
Unfortunately, I can't do much. Thank goodness for her friend Kent, or she wouldn't be online at all probably.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 am
i forgot you guys all celebrate christmas - s-word - is there anyway we can transport scottydogs spare goodies to Emma? she could mnaybe freeze the cake and have that to celebrate with, if not traditional, at least a delicious treat?
scotty's spare goodies are probably all gone already. :lol: The best way to get resources to emma is by using Amazon Prime to get her a Whole Foods gift card overnight.
sounds to me they are being specifically difficult - if Emma is not the sole scamed one, maybe its their way of preventing people from compalining - make it 'too hard' to lodge a complaint????
No, this is the Better Business Bureau asking for the information, so they must have some reason. Advocating for consumers is what they do, so I'm sure they're not trying to be difficult. I just have to understand exactly what they're looking for.
well the bathroom is more or less done.
Congratulations! You'll finally be able to take a temperature-controlled shower whenever you want to. :yes:

:tea:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

I'm wondering if there is a cosmetology or esthetics state board in California, where emma can report them. In Ohio, estheticians have to have state licensing. Spas and salons also have very strict guidelines to follow. If there is a negative report against one, a state official does an investigation, which includes an inspection of the facility.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Chewsday, all. :hello:

The high temp will get into the 40s today, so enough snow will melt that I think I should be able to get out and run a few errands.
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 am
is there anyway we can transport scottydogs spare goodies to Emma? she could mnaybe freeze the cake and have that to celebrate with, if not traditional, at least a delicious treat?
Good idea, but alas, our party's guest-of-honor stopped by our house last night to claim her cake, along with some of the other food. Without 4-wheel drive, we can't make it up the hilly road, but she can.

Oh, and congrats, Maddy, on getting that bathroom pretty much done. :gold2:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

the painter has been and done coat one - coming later to finish off. the electrician and manager come tomorrow... but i took an after video anyways - as all but the ceiling and light were done. so....(when they load - in about 20 minutes) here they are:

BEFORE - ewwwww, gross: https://youtu.be/YvfIoEg9cCU
AFTER - ahhhhhh, luxury: https://youtu.be/zRwha4TvkA8

big difference eh? :)
i also had a coffee visit from m who came to thank/pay me for dog sitting over the weekend
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^The new bathroom looks spectacular! :eek: I want to fix mine up now.

Good morning, companions on Spaceship Earth. :alien2:

Need to get more firewood today but little else is on the immediate agenda.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am
Lupine wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 pm
Indeed she did. Lionesse Beauty Boutique and the reviews on Yelp tell me that she's not the only one they've scammed. I just signed up and added my own review.
Yeah, there seems to be a common complaint about that place. And if you can rack up several thousands of dollars in bills before realizing it they seem to be rather over-priced as well. :no:
Cayla wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:36 am
I'm wondering if there is a cosmetology or esthetics state board in California, where emma can report them. In Ohio, estheticians have to have state licensing. Spas and salons also have very strict guidelines to follow. If there is a negative report against one, a state official does an investigation, which includes an inspection of the facility.
I'll look that up in a bit.