2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Post by Lupine »

Another turbulent year for us to dissect.
Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Re: 2019 Politics- Life in Trump World

Post by Orpheus »

When I saw "Trump World" I thought of that old Jackson Browne song:

"...and I hear the USSR will be open soon,
as a vacation park for
lawyers in love."
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Only in Trump World it's the other way around. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Trump vs. Pelosi: The standoff that will define Washington begins today

I've never cared much for Nancy Pelosi but do respect her abilities as a fund raising juggernaut for the Democrats. Meanwhile, I have come to respect how she's been playing President Trump like a well tuned fiddle.

And the lies keep coming: Trump falsely claims Mexico is paying for wall, demands taxpayer money for wall in meeting with Democrats

Here's the odd part about this shutdown -- the MMAC has a vast majority of operations shut down; however, in the area where I worked the contractors are working but the Feds are furloughed. :wtf: :conf:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ :lol:
Gary wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:01 am
Here's the odd part about this shutdown -- the MMAC has a vast majority of operations shut down; however, in the area where I worked the contractors are working but the Feds are furloughed. :wtf: :conf:
Do the president and congress get docked when there's a shutdown? I'm willing to bet not. There should be legislation that the president and congress, as well as all their support staff, do not get paid during a shutdown and can never recover those lost funds.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 pm
^^ :lol:
Gary wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:01 am
Do the president and congress get docked when there's a shutdown? I'm willing to bet not. There should be legislation that the president and congress, as well as all their support staff, do not get paid during a shutdown and can never recover those lost funds.
Everyone still gets paid, although some members of Congress are donating their salaries during the shutdown. The problem is that this is not a shutdown, per se, but rather Trump's refusal to sign legislation which will fund a select few agencies for either a few weeks or months. He's decided holding them hostage for his "big, beautiful, wall" is worthwhile. Fortunately, he is losing more leverage with each passing hour.

Meanwhile: Trump tells Democrats shutdown could last for months, years as talks fail to yield deal

I love this nugget I found in the comments.
Let me sum up trumps negotiating skills:
1. Brag self up to epic proportions.
2. Bullyboy his demands. Insult the other party.
3. Whine about how unfair it is when he doesn't get his way. Twitter rant.
4. fold arms, pout.
5. attempt bullyboy demands again.
6. whine when he doesn't get his way. twitter rants with insults and pity party for self.
7. fold arms, pout.
8. repeat.
9. find new thing to distract base, so they forget he lost.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's amazing. He's failed at pretty much everything he's ever done. His only success was as a reality TV star. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

It's even more amazing that so many are so fanatically devoted to him.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

A friend of mine works at the MMAC and is a FTE. He's upset and frustrated at not knowing if he'll be paid this cycle as he's been caught up in the shutdown. I feel like laughing at him, because he sent me a text last week stating, "Pocahontas is running for president", and I called him out for idiotic name calling. He's also the one who referred to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as "a libtard". Years ago, he proclaimed President Obama's "rampant, ridiculous spending" to be "unsustainable". Meanwhile, the federal deficit has exploded under President Trump, but nary a peep. Oh well. You broke it, you deal with it.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Hypocrisy is intrinsic to politics.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:05 pm
I don't think there are really that many. The ones that are are just noisy and orchestrated.

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

Post by Orpheus »

I dunno. Even if the approval polls are heavily skewed, he does seem to have a sizeable plurality who approve of him.

Meanwhile, though I know we have an election coming next year, I'm thinking of organizing a small escape from the Trump-verse to the Wakanda-verse.

I realize this may mark me as a traitor, but available evidence suggests that I must be on the tail end of a trend that began years ago, perhaps before the 2016 election.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:50 pm
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:05 pm
I don't think there are really that many. The ones that are are just noisy and orchestrated.
Orpheus wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 am
I dunno. Even if the approval polls are heavily skewed, he does seem to have a sizeable plurality who approve of him.
At least one website is putting his approval at 41.4%. While that's not a majority by any stretch it's still a large number of people who somehow think he's doing a good job.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, but how many of those are going to approve of a Republican president by default, just because he's not a Democrat?

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

GOP Strategist Calls Ocasio-Cortez ‘The Little Girl.’ She Lets Him Have It.

She has a lot of energy and (IMHO) many good ideas; however, she needs to exert some self control and learn how the political process works; otherwise, she'll find herself marginalized and then out of office in two years.

Meanwhile: Trump: 'I don’t care' that most federal employees working without pay 'are Democrats'

The quicker this Presidency crumbles, the better off we'll all be.

If anyone's interested, Robert Reich has a YouTube channel. I watch his presentations whenever I can and shake my head in remembrance when I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh and how he'd rail against anything Mr. Reich advocated.