Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Post by huggle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm

happy clover day :)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Good evening, everybody. :hello:

I spent a quiet day reading and looking at DVDs. So much for having Irish ancestry. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:14 pm
Somehow, I didn't die on this trip, despite numerous opportunities. So much for premonitions.
You'll just have to choose a more dangerous destination next time. :whip:
:lol: Or perhaps, "There's a Mummy on the wing!"
I hope he's tightly wrapped.
Do you know if it was arson? :no:
I haven't heard anything yet, but I figure it's either a really stupid arsonist or there was some kind of electrical problem that wasn't fixed the first time.
Lupine wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:56 pm
The Pirate Faire was fun. The weather was near perfect. :pirate:
Well, shiver me timbers. :thumbsup:
huggle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm
happy clover day :)
May all your clovers be quadrilateral. :yes:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Today I took a long nap and caught up on my TV shows, including The Walking Dead and The Orville. :tv:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm
You'll just have to choose a more dangerous destination next time. :whip:
I was invited to give a talk in Germany in May, so that's my next trip. Unless there's a time-travel component, say, to 1942, it should be safer than Peru.

Elara
Censor
Censor

Post by Elara » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Happy St. Paddy's Day, everyone! And Tuesday, Happy St Joseph's day! Wear red. :)
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 am
Ooh, muddy pond pictures. I hope you're going to post some.
I've got them on the computer, now I just have to decide which ones to use. A few of the runoff streams look like artwork.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:14 pm
You really are a Superhero Cow-girl. I didn't realize that horses needed de-worming.
"Super Cow-girl" hmmm... I like that, makes me a super hero. :pony:

Oh yeah, they get worms, lots of worms. Bots are the worst, but all of them are icky. I have pictures from today's first dead worm droppings. ;)
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm
I spent a quiet day reading and looking at DVDs. So much for having Irish ancestry. :lol:
I am a bad Irish lass, since I really don't drink (anymore). Haven't had any since 2006. In fact, thinking about this, I just decided that I'm saving my drinking days for when I turn 86. Then I'll buy me some good brandy, like my grandpa, and have a shot a day... or not. :lol: I don't even agree with my Czech roots (brandy), as I prefer Schnapps. That used to be my birthday drink, one shot of peach Schnapps.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Elara wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Happy St. Paddy's Day, everyone! And Tuesday, Happy St Joseph's day! Wear red. :)
Beer on St. Paddy's Day, aspirin on St. Joseph's Day. That's well timed. :lol:
Oh yeah, they get worms, lots of worms. Bots are the worst, but all of them are icky.
Your horses get Bots, too? :unsure:

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Changed the oil in my car and rotated the tires. Turns out I didn't have to do so until 167.5K miles (currently at 165.5 miles) :unsure:

Oh well, there was a bright side since doing so showed the thermostat housing has a bit of seepage, which tells me the gasket is going bad. So I'll be ordering a new gasket along with a new master cylinder and brake hoses. The master cylinder has an internal leak, the symptom of which is the brake pedal slowly falls to the floor when the vehicle is stopped.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Elara wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 pm
I have pictures from today's first dead worm droppings. ;)
I can't imagine what this looks like, and I'd like to keep it that way :lol:
Gary wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm
Changed the oil in my car and rotated the tires.
I can't imagine doing this, and I'd like to keep it that way :lol:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 am

Yesterday was St Patrick's Day, and I never thought about that! Except that it's my mom's birthday. My Irish mother born on St Patrick's Day. I've been trying to remember what year she was born. I think - going by how old Dad was when he passed, and Mom was 3 years older than him - this would be the 101st anniversary of her birth.

TODAY would have been Dad's birthday. We always only had one birthday celebration for them each year. Good times. :yes:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 am

GM.
Well lets hope you have good times by getting that job jgc.
I have plenty of non-fiction books. Mostly science and history.
um...for my non fiction, i read Tibetan Buddhist text/commentaries, Indian philosophy, and UK/Australian birdlife/nature books.... :D
yesterday turned the week back right again after a horrid run of miserable days. L was supposedly busy with guests - but they were unwell, so just as i was on my third coffee trying to convince myself to do something or other, she rang and invitied me out! we hiked the hills behind Arundel and plan to walk right thru to Amberley and back in summer. today's coffee-meet is postponed til tomorrow, but we have a couple of things planned for it so i have sometnhing to look forward to...

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Restless night last night, but at least this should be an easy week....
Gary wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm
Changed the oil in my car and rotated the tires. Turns out I didn't have to do so until 167.5K miles (currently at 165.5 miles) :unsure:
Maybe you can add that 2k to the next cycle, kind of like Daylight Savings Time. :lol:
jgc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 am
Yesterday was St Patrick's Day, and I never thought about that! Except that it's my mom's birthday. My Irish mother born on St Patrick's Day. I've been trying to remember what year she was born. I think - going by how old Dad was when he passed, and Mom was 3 years older than him - this would be the 101st anniversary of her birth.

TODAY would have been Dad's birthday. We always only had one birthday celebration for them each year. Good times. :yes:
Happy Birthday to both your mom and dad. I hope you had a nice day remembering those happy memories. :yes:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 am
um...for my non fiction, i read Tibetan Buddhist text/commentaries, Indian philosophy, and UK/Australian birdlife/nature books.... :D
I probably don't have anything like that. :D

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:46 am

Happy Monday, all :hello:

Our Spring Break is over and it's back to school. Today I have about 8 meetings, back-to-back-to-back. Except for one, they're all pretty short, maybe 15 minutes.
jgc wrote:
TODAY would have been Dad's birthday.
Happy birthday to your Dad. I can remember your posts about watching football games with him. My dad took me to many games when I was growing up :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am
... this should be an easy week....
Sounds like the beginning-of-the-year craziness for you is OVER. :dance:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 am
yesterday turned the week back right again after a horrid run of miserable days.
Glad to hear that L was available for you :yes:

Lupine
Consul
Consul

Post by Lupine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Good morning, crew. :coffee:

Odds'n ends here.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:56 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I was hoping that Cayla would tell us how her paranormal investigation went. :ghost:
scottydog wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:46 am
Sounds like the beginning-of-the-year craziness for you is OVER. :dance:
It actually may be. Today was fairly un-crazy for a Monday.
Lupine wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm
Odds'n ends here.
Just odds here, and they're all against me. :lol:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 am

Happy birthday to jgc's parents!

Elara, she only had access to the basement, and there is nothing of value there. In fact, there isn't much of anything there, except for some kitchen items, my canning items, a bed, a bench, and a kitchen table. We have let her crash here a few nights, whenever she needed a safe place to stay. I have some of her valuables hidden in my house. Her husband tends to find and sell her stuff for drug money. It's a sad existence for some of these people.

I celebrated St. Paddy's Day sleeping the entire day away on my couch. My Irish ancestors would have been disappointed in me. :lol:

Addie said the Manor was "amazing". She and her step-sister had a lot of fun searching for ghosts. They think they have pictures of ghost hand prints (probably just other persons handprints). We also have videos of the ball rolling in different directions by itself. I still haven't been able to figure that one out. She got to talk to my friend, Kathy, the owner. She was invited to come volunteer at Halloween time for the lantern tours. My mom got suckered into adopting a section of flower bed to tend to this summer. I have a few outdoor places to take Addie to investigate when the weather is nicer.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 am

Oh! I forgot...there was a horrible accident in front of my office, this morning. The road was closed, but I was able to get into the parking lot from the one side. A car was stopped by the police, and set to be impounded. While the tow truck driver was getting it ready to tow, another car (a Honda Acura, I believe) came speeding up the wrong way on the four lane road. It slammed into the tow truck, and pinned the tow truck driver. The Honda hit the tow truck so hard that it actually damaged the tow truck. A tow truck had to come to tow the tow truck. The entire side of the Honda was smashed. I have know idea how the driver survived. There was blood everywhere! I have the dash cam video from the local news site on my FB wall. The tow truck driver is going to be okay.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life. -Jean Luc Picard

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am

Cayla wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 am
A tow truck had to come to tow the tow truck.
This would be funny except for the blood that was everywhere. I hope there were no deaths :no:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:18 am

Cayla wrote:
Oh! I forgot...there was a horrible accident in front of my office, this morning. The road was closed, but I was able to get into the parking lot from the one side. A car was stopped by the police, and set to be impounded. While the tow truck driver was getting it ready to tow, another car (a Honda Acura, I believe) came speeding up the wrong way on the four lane road. It slammed into the tow truck, and pinned the tow truck driver. The Honda hit the tow truck so hard that it actually damaged the tow truck. A tow truck had to come to tow the tow truck. The entire side of the Honda was smashed. I have know idea how the driver survived. There was blood everywhere! I have the dash cam video from the local news site on my FB wall. The tow truck driver is going to be okay.
Yikes. :unsure: He's lucky. The guy in the Honda must have been stoned. You just never know when some disaster is going to strike out of the blue like that. :no:
Cayla wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 am
Her husband tends to find and sell her stuff for drug money. It's a sad existence for some of these people.
Sounds like she needs to cut him loose right away.
Addie said the Manor was "amazing". She and her step-sister had a lot of fun searching for ghosts. They think they have pictures of ghost hand prints (probably just other persons handprints). We also have videos of the ball rolling in different directions by itself. I still haven't been able to figure that one out.
That's great. She'll be ready to join the X-Files in no time. :D

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Post by Gary » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am

The sellers who didn't want to deal with realtors must have changed their minds, because my agent's assistant asked if I was still interested in it. We're scheduled to look at it Wednesday. We'll see what happens.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:25 am

GM. the tadpoles in the pond are just emerging from the eggs, meanwhile, the ones at work are all fat and going well - due to come home to their pond in a week or two's time to meet their smaller brothers and sisters.
ahead today - coffee with L - and popping in to the bathroom guys for me, mowermen for her, and strolling about with daffs for us both.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:31 am

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Well, that was a restless night of Apocalypse dreams. Hopefully today will be as quiet as yesterday.
Gary wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am
The sellers who didn't want to deal with realtors must have changed their minds, because my agent's assistant asked if I was still interested in it. We're scheduled to look at it Wednesday. We'll see what happens.
Good luck. :thumbsup:
Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:25 am
the tadpoles in the pond are just emerging from the eggs, meanwhile, the ones at work are all fat and going well - due to come home to their pond in a week or two's time to meet their smaller brothers and sisters.
I didn't realize those other frogs were just on loan.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:21 am

Happy Chewsday, all :hello:

Today I teach my morning classes, then I may sneak away this afternoon to see the new Captain Marvel movie. Tonight The Wife and I are having dinner at my mother-in-law's house :sing:
Madeliaette wrote:
the tadpoles in the pond are just emerging from the eggs, meanwhile, the ones at work are all fat and going well
Glad to hear that Mother Nature is doing well in the UK. Just curious -- how is your honeybee population doing? Our bees are struggling here in the US due to declining habitat, climate change, and use of pesticides :no:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 am

scottydog wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am
Cayla wrote:
This would be funny except for the blood that was everywhere. I hope there were no deaths :no:
Amazingly, there were no deaths. Both the tow truck driver, and the driver of the speeding wrong way car, are in serious condition, but expected to recover.

Hopefully, today will be a less eventful day.

Lupine
Consul
Consul

Post by Lupine » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Allergies made for a rather restless night.
Madeliaette wrote:
GM. the tadpoles in the pond are just emerging from the eggs, meanwhile, the ones at work are all fat and going well - due to come home to their pond in a week or two's time to meet their smaller brothers and sisters.
Nice! :yes: We have roadrunner eggs on our porch. I doubt that some of the older ones will hatch as the parents weren't being very diligent at that time, but I have hopes for some of the newer eggs.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:31 am
Well, that was a restless night of Apocalypse dreams.
Hopefully they weren't premonitions. :unsure:
Cayla wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 am
scottydog wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 am
Cayla wrote:
Amazingly, there were no deaths. Both the tow truck driver, and the driver of the speeding wrong way car, are in serious condition, but expected to recover.
Good that everyone will be alright. The way people drive out there I'm amazed there aren't more wrecks.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Lupine wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm
The way people drive out there I'm amazed there aren't more wrecks.
You should see the way people drive in Peru. It's the Wild West -- no driver follows any rules. It was almost like watching the demotion derby.

Elara
Censor
Censor

Post by Elara » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm
Beer on St. Paddy's Day, aspirin on St. Joseph's Day. That's well timed. :lol:
:yes: :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm
Your horses get Bots, too? :unsure:
Yep, only surprisingly, much ickier ones. :as:
scottydog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 pm
I can't imagine what this looks like, and I'd like to keep it that way :lol:
Oh, you don't want to see them? Silly me, I would swear you said you do want to see:

Cover your eyes!

Fair warning!

Too late.
Tiny worms- big problems.jpg
:D
jgc wrote:

Made it easy for them to remember each other's birthday. :yes:
Cayla wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 am
Elara, she only had access to the basement, and there is nothing of value there. In fact, there isn't much of anything there, except for some kitchen items, my canning items, a bed, a bench, and a kitchen table. We have let her crash here a few nights, whenever she needed a safe place to stay. I have some of her valuables hidden in my house. Her husband tends to find and sell her stuff for drug money. It's a sad existence for some of these people.
Well that's good. That'd still be plenty bad. Yikes, she needs to get free of him, or he will drag her back down with him, eventually.
Lupine wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Nice! :yes: We have roadrunner eggs on our porch. I doubt that some of the older ones will hatch as the parents weren't being very diligent at that time, but I have hopes for some of the newer eggs.
That is so cool. I'm hoping for baby Roadrunners soon! :yes: