Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Check-in Thread #96: Almost Spring Version

Post by RJDiogenes »

Potrzebie!
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I survived. Actually, Machu Picchu wasn't as hard to climb as Temple Del Sol. I posted some pics on FB if you're interested.

The place really is amazing. I felt like I was in an Indiana Jones movie the whole time. In fact, the character of Indiana Jones is based on Hiram Bingham, the professor who discovered Machu Picchu in 1911.

So I haven't died yet and there are only 2 days left before I return home to Richmond.
Lupine wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 pm
I'd love to see Machu Picchu.
I would find some way to visit here. It's so worth it. The place is ethereal and jaw-dropping.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 pm
scottydog wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 am
Last night at dinner, I had a bit of a Twilight Zone moment. The Wife's oldest sister is with us, and she finally blurted out how she was tired of me saying that I was going to die on this trip. "If you say you're going to die one more time, I'm going to kill you."
Man, your first novel is writing itself. :lol:
More like a short story, and I need you to write it. :writing:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM.
So I haven't died yet and there are only 2 days left before I return home to Richmond.
the way you keep on and on and ON about dying, you'll bring on your own death within hours of your return! :D if fear is not going to prevent you doing things, it has no purpose so throw it away.
computing then double workshift today - more 'wet n windy' all morning anyways.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

Is it only Thursday?
scottydog wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 am
I survived. Actually, Machu Picchu wasn't as hard to climb as Temple Del Sol. I posted some pics on FB if you're interested.
Cool. I will check them out. :yes:
The place really is amazing. I felt like I was in an Indiana Jones movie the whole time. In fact, the character of Indiana Jones is based on Hiram Bingham, the professor who discovered Machu Picchu in 1911.
I'll have to check that out, too. :book:
More like a short story, and I need you to write it. :writing:
We should make it an action movie: Virginia Allison and the Temple of Vertigo. :whip:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 am
the way you keep on and on and ON about dying, you'll bring on your own death within hours of your return! :D
Ah, an ironic ending to our movie!
if fear is not going to prevent you doing things, it has no purpose so throw it away.
And there's our hero's catchphrase. :cooldude:

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Thursday, all :hello:

Today's our last day in Cusco before flying back to Lima. We have nothing scheduled. The WIfe wants to go shopping so I'll probably tag along with her.
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 am
if fear is not going to prevent you doing things, it has no purpose so throw it away.
Actually, fear does prevent me from dying. This week I've hiked a lot of trails along sheer cliffs, with no railing, on uneven rocks. Fear of plunging to my death has kept me safe.

I think you're saying that irrational fear has no purpose. I know all about that, and you're right. For example, I once had a terrible fear of flying. Statistically, I knew that flying is much safer than driving, and faith in that knowledge helped me to let go of that fear.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 am
Virginia Allison and the Temple of Vertigo. :whip:
The character of Virginia Allison would have to be female. So I prefer the moniker of Richmond Allison.... and the Temple of Chocolate.🍫🍫🍫 He's heard about the Legend of the Incan Chocolate Catacomb, undiscovered yet believed to contain an entire mountain of chocolate deep in the Andes. :whip:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Oddn'n ends today. Trash, market, ect.
scottydog wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:44 am
Today's our last day in Cusco before flying back to Lima. We have nothing scheduled. The WIfe wants to go shopping so I'll probably tag along with her.
Have fun! :hello:
scottydog wrote:
The character of Virginia Allison would have to be female. So I prefer the moniker of Richmond Allison.... and the Temple of Chocolate.🍫🍫🍫 He's heard about the Legend of the Incan Chocolate Catacomb, undiscovered yet believed to contain an entire mountain of chocolate deep in the Andes. :whip:
I've seen evidence of that.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^Ahhh... I forgot about Andes candies. They're really good :drool:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I think there's only one more day to go....
scottydog wrote:
Today's our last day in Cusco before flying back to Lima. We have nothing scheduled.
That's when the danger is greatest. :unsure:
The character of Virginia Allison would have to be female.
But think of all the opportunities for misdirection, misunderstanding, and irony. :D
So I prefer the moniker of Richmond Allison.... and the Temple of Chocolate.🍫🍫🍫 He's heard about the Legend of the Incan Chocolate Catacomb, undiscovered yet believed to contain an entire mountain of chocolate deep in the Andes. :whip:
I can see him barely outrunning a giant chocolate ball. :flee:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

We managed to power through our big crunch at work this week. Minor tasks here and there before the implementation which will occur either tomorrow or early next week. Management is happy, because a lot of people will be on PTO next week (spring break), so a skeleton crew will be able to handle any tasks. Another developer and I reviewed what may be an issue when a site we hit for data changes one of their login pages. We were sweating bullets because the change will happen Sunday, and since I am unfamiliar with everything I had a devil of a time trying to get through it last week. We spent a couple of hours formulating a plan and, after a but of testing, believe we have a proper solution. The general consensus is the change that will be implemented *won't* affect our process; however, we want a backup plan just in case. We should be good to go with a final round of testing tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I'm checking out a house about 5 miles from the office tomorrow, after work. Unfortunately, the listing agent only put one picture in the listing, so I don't have any ideas as to the size of the interior. The back yard looks sizable from what I can see on Google Maps.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm
I can see him barely outrunning a giant chocolate ball. :flee:
Virginia Allison would run toward the chocolate ball :lol:
Gary wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 am
The back yard looks sizable from what I can see on Google Maps.
A big back yard is only good if it's low maintenance. It's no fun mowing a large yard.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM.
Actually, fear does prevent me from dying. This week I've hiked a lot of trails along sheer cliffs, with no railing, on uneven rocks. Fear of plunging to my death has kept me safe.
but you hiked them anyway n- so the fear was not needed. caution is all that is needed - fear is an uneccessary nuisance. you could have enjoyed it more if you had no fear.

nothing much going on for the next few days - another Lupeisode of life, lol. its wind or rain everyday for the next 4-5 except sunday, but i have no plans and l is busy then.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

In a mere eight hours, the weekend will arrive. :bounce:
Gary wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 am
Another developer and I reviewed what may be an issue when a site we hit for data changes one of their login pages.
Can you coordinate with that site, or is it a unilateral link?
scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am
Forget the action movie, we've got a Warner Brothers cartoon. :lol:
A big back yard is only good if it's low maintenance. It's no fun mowing a large yard.
We need the next generation Roomba.
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 am
but you hiked them anyway n- so the fear was not needed. caution is all that is needed - fear is an uneccessary nuisance. you could have enjoyed it more if you had no fear.
Would people remember to be cautious without fear?

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

Yesterday was a bizarre day. I worked at the church until noon, went grocery shopping, and then came home to find that one of my husband's recovering addicts he helps, decided it was okay to let themselves into my house when no one was home. I lost my temper. It took the rest of the rest of the day for my anger to subside. She won't be making that mistake again. Then, an old coworker from the previous dentist office called me. She asked me if my paychecks were ever short. The assistant found out they were severely shorting her pay, and now this coworker looked into it, and found they shorted her $6000 last year. She is no longer there, because as soon as I left, they began nit picking her over petty things, and cut her hours (as they did to me), and treating her poorly. Now they are doing the same to the assistant. I used to find it odd that they would say awful things about all of their past employees. I am now convinced that they are the problem, and are doing something more shady besides ripping off employees. My checks were never short, except maybe a few dollars one or two times, but it wasn't enough to say anything. I just figured I had miscalculated by an hour or two. His wife knew I kept a close watch on my hours.

Today is work until 4pm, then work the church fish fry from 4:30-8:30 pm. My mom will be spending the weekend with me, again.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Friday, all :hello:

We begin the first leg of our journey home. That means flying to Lima, where we'll spend the night before flying home to Wash DC tomorrow :flying:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am
scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am
Forget the action movie, we've got a Warner Brothers cartoon. :lol:
Seems like my entire life is one big WB cartoon :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 am
Would people remember to be cautious without fear?
Yeah, that's my thought. Maybe Maddy is saying that fear should lead to caution, and once cautious we should let go of the fear. That makes sense.

The only time I got "afraid" was when the trail or steps up or down were extremely close to a sheer cliff. I'd feel a brief second or two of fear and then really focus on how I planted my foot and how I could use my hand to grab onto a rocky outcrop on the noncliff side.
Cayla wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:13 am
The assistant found out they were severely shorting her pay, and now this coworker looked into it, and found they shorted her $6000 last year.
Wow, what a day you had. This former coworker should request that backpay and threaten to sue if she doesn't get it. That is one toxic workplace -- I'm glad you're free of it.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :yawn:

Might do some recycling today. Currently doing laundry. Will probably prep for a Pirate Faire tomorrow.
Cayla wrote:
I worked at the church until noon, went grocery shopping, and then came home to find that one of my husband's recovering addicts he helps, decided it was okay to let themselves into my house when no one was home. I lost my temper. It took the rest of the rest of the day for my anger to subside. She won't be making that mistake again.
:wtf: Yeah, I would have been rather irate myself.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 am
We begin the first leg of our journey home. That means flying to Lima, where we'll spend the night before flying home to Wash DC tomorrow :flying:
Have a safe journey! :hello:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 am
Cayla wrote:
The assistant found out they were severely shorting her pay, and now this coworker looked into it, and found they shorted her $6000 last year.
Wow, what a day you had. This former coworker should request that backpay and threaten to sue if she doesn't get it. That is one toxic workplace -- I'm glad you're free of it.
Wow that does seem like a bad place. :no: