Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

A new forum spawned from the terrible crash of 8/08.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

Post by Madeliaette »

and GM again.
yesterday i did cleaning, cleaning cleaning - today i am doing hill hike/shop trotting, plot trotting, and cleaning. :hello:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Check-in Thread #97: Berkelium Kurt

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Hmm. Berkelium Kurt sounds like a character in an SF novel. :saucer:
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:37 am
Actually, there's good news on that front. I'll teach my normal load next year after all. Given the 2 faculty departures this year, I consider myself lucky. :dance:
That's good news. Are they hiring somebody new?

:tea:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Friday, all :hello:

Just a couple of meetings today. A pretty light day overall. Tonight a friend of mine who is a Chef is opening a new restaurant. The Wife and I will have dinner there to support her.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:41 am
That's good news. Are they hiring somebody new?
Yes, TPTB have come to their senses and are hiring a new person to fill the void. So, apparently, an organization sometimes actually does the right thing. Who knew :shrug:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Good morning, all. :coffee:

No major plans today other than some genealogical research later.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Nothing better on a rainy day than kicking back to read and watch TV. It's kind of cool that I can do both on the same device. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 am
Tonight a friend of mine who is a Chef is opening a new restaurant. The Wife and I will have dinner there to support her.
That's nice. What kind of a restaurant is it?
Yes, TPTB have come to their senses and are hiring a new person to fill the void. So, apparently, an organization sometimes actually does the right thing. Who knew :shrug:
I'm a little suspicious. :unsure:

Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

ISP terminated my service on the first. I was thinking because my bill is paid on the 11th that it would be terminated on that date. They were actually nice enough to explain the issues and restored service. Naturally, I'll pay for another month as it's looking like I won't be terminating service until the 26th. Meanwhile, the IRS rejected the lender's request for the transcripts of my taxes. So, the lender directed me to the IRS's website so I could download the transcripts myself. Well, that entails creating an account with the IRS. Out of the many avenues of proving my identity, the only one I have is a mortgage. Unfortunately, every possible combination of digits and letters I know which comprise the account were rejected. Three failed attempts led my being locked out for 24 hours. Last night, I received a physical letter from the IRS which explained the reason for the rejection. Seems the form is for requesting four years of taxes and the lender requested three. I reported that to the lender, who promptly decided since she thinks the '9' in '2019' where I dated the form looks like an '8' (which it doesn't), let the IRS to think I incorrectly dated the form. I was so furious I was going to call and give her an earful. I tried the IRS website again and still no go. I was able to request the documents via telephone; however, it will take 6-10 days for the documents to arrive. The lender was trying to put the onus on me like it's a major deal. Honestly, I could care less if this delays the closing due to their incompetence. The person I've been dealing with is an assistance of the woman who has been building my file. My main PoC has been on vacation but will be returning next week. I'm going to swing by her office and show her the rejection forms and point out where the IRS rep highlighted where missing data belongs.

Spoke with a lawyer about drawing up a contract to sell my house and learned some interesting law facts. Buyer, tile guy, and electrician will all be over tomorrow which means "something" will happen.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ah, bureaucracy in the age of the Internet. Gotta love it. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

We had a great dinner out tonight and now I've collapsed on the couch.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 pm
Nothing better on a rainy day than kicking back to read and watch TV. It's kind of cool that I can do both on the same device. :lol:
I'm impressed that you can read on a device. I prefer good old fashioned paper.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 pm
That's nice. What kind of a restaurant is it?
Hard to say exactly. They served seafood and steak, so maybe just good old fashioned American.
Gary wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 pm
I reported that to the lender, who promptly decided since she thinks the '9' in '2019' where I dated the form looks like an '8' (which it doesn't), let the IRS to think I incorrectly dated the form. I was so furious I was going to call and give her an earful. I tried the IRS website again and still no go.
This all sounds nightmarish. I bet your blood pressured reached dangerously high levels :mad:
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

GM. hopefully, i never have to sell/buy a house in the US...
yesterday was plot, hike-shop, shop, work. today will be arundel then plot and tomorrow is a day out with L!
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Poor Gary! Apparently you're caught in a Murphyonic field. I hope it'll dissolve quickly!

Today is spring cleaning day for my harddrive and server. (And IRL it's laundry day, tidying up day, shopping day and perhaps also window cleaning day, depending on how the weather develops).
I shall attempt to upgrade the board Sunday morning European time (starting around 8 am GMT)/ Saturday night US time (midnight PST, Sunday 3 am EST) since that's the time most users are in bed or otherwise busy offline. I'll do it manually which takes between 2 and 4 hours, depending on how much editing is to do.
scottydog wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 pm
Hmm, do they have cougars in Germany? :wiggle:
not the real sort. We are a bit short of feline species on this continent: all we have is wild cats and lynxes.
But I have an El Cugar guitar strap on my old Strat. Does that count? And I play a Fender Jaguar when I find the time :D

Totally off-topic: I've been wondering for ages about these check in threads' titles. Are there any rules or are the names completely random?
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I almost forgot that today is Saturday. I'm off to breakfast with Mom and Chloe.
scottydog wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 am
I'm impressed that you can read on a device. I prefer good old fashioned paper.
I do, too, but there are certainly advantages to e-books. For one thing, they take up no room. And they are generally cheaper. And they appear immediately when you buy them. And the Kindle is actually really nice to read on.
Hard to say exactly. They served seafood and steak, so maybe just good old fashioned American.
Sounds good to me.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:16 am
yesterday was plot, hike-shop, shop, work. today will be arundel then plot and tomorrow is a day out with L!
Good, you don't have to wait until Monday. :yes:
huggle wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:11 am
I shall attempt to upgrade the board Sunday morning European time (starting around 8 am GMT)/ Saturday night US time (midnight PST, Sunday 3 am EST) since that's the time most users are in bed or otherwise busy offline. I'll do it manually which takes between 2 and 4 hours, depending on how much editing is to do.
So you'll be right in the middle of it all when I get up. I'll try not to panic. :D
Totally off-topic: I've been wondering for ages about these check in threads' titles. Are there any rules or are the names completely random?
Most of the time Maddie starts the new Check-Ins, so she makes them up. She can explain better than me, but the names always have something to do with the number. For example, Berkelium is atomic number 97. Sometimes the references are more obscure, though....

australis
Centurion
Centurion

Post by australis »

<casual wave in passing>
“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.”
― Terry Pratchett
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Happy Saturday, all :hello:

I'll meet up with a couple of friends at our local coffee shop this morning. Then it's nap time. TONIGHT.... The Wife and I perform our foxtrot/swing formation dance with our dance group at our USA dance party. There will probably be an audience of 100 people. It's a 3-minute routine which we've practiced flawlessly a million times -- which means we're destined to screw up tonight :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:16 am
hopefully, i never have to sell/buy a house in the US...
It's a ridiculous bureaucratic nightmare. Seems like no one around here likes to keep things simple.
huggle wrote:
I've been wondering for ages about these check in threads' titles. Are there any rules or are the names completely random?
I've been wondering, too. Maddy's imagination lurks in the stratosphere :cloud:
scottydog wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 am
there are certainly advantages to e-books. For one thing, they take up no room. And they are generally cheaper. And they appear immediately when you buy them. And the Kindle is actually really nice to read on.
You're right about the Kindle being easy on the eyes. That really surprised me when I bought my Kindle a few years ago.
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Good morning!

I'm going to work at the church rummage sale today.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Another day. :yawn:

Is something happening today? I can't remember. :unsure:
huggle wrote:
The thread titles are an enigma wrapped in a mystery and deep fried inside a tortilla, then seasoned with onion.
australis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:47 am
<casual wave in passing>
:hello: