Garden Club V: Herbs, Vegetables, and Blooms

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Re: Garden Club V: Herbs, Vegetables, and Blooms

Post by Madeliaette »

in an allotment, yes..
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Now that our weather is warming up dramatically, we're buying veggie seeds -- green beans, black beans, carrots, spinach, and tomatoes
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

I ordered $71.00 worth of seeds. I got: Brad's Atomic Grape Tomato, Zucchini Green Bush Squash, Early Prolific Straightneck Squash, White Scallop Squash, Easter Basket Mix Radish, Bonny Best Tomato, Red Welsh Bunching Onion, Muncher Cucumber, Marketmore 76 Cucumber, New Kuroda Carrot, Table Queen Acorn Squash, Golden Butterwax Bean, Jade Bush Bean, Purple Teepee Bean, Red Express Cabbage, Little Gem Lettuce, Little Marvel Garden Pea, Laxton's Progress No. 9 Garden Pea, Golden Cal Wonder Pepper, King Of The North Pepper, Lilac Bell Pepper, Orange Bell Pepper, Free Seed Variety 1, Black Nebula Carrot and a free packet of White Tomesol (tomato) seeds (there's like 5 seeds in the packet. woohoo! :D).

I love the idea of purple beans and peppers, and blue/red/orange/green tomatoes! White squash, red cabbage, purple carrots, radishes of many colors... it's just such a whirlwind of color!
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:20 am
How about honeysuckle? I love honeysuckle?
Right now I am trying to rip out the invasive non-native honeysuckle plants, then eventually I will add in some native ones. :yes:
huggle wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:52 pm
Or what about a buddleia? Butterfiles love it
They are pretty, but no non-native plants (except veggies :) ). I have a few non-native, but they were planted by family years ago, and they can't spread where they are, so I am keeping them. Besides the honeysuckle to rip out, there is burning bush to rip out. They are pretty, but invasive. I've grabbed seed from a lot of native flowers to see which ones will thrive. The only one I missed getting seed from is Bee Balm. We have it everywhere, but I want some safe in a garden (a lot of it is in the ditch where it gets cut down by the county).
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Elara wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:11 am
I ordered $71.00 worth of seeds. I got: Brad's Atomic Grape Tomato, Zucchini Green Bush Squash, Early Prolific Straightneck Squash, White Scallop Squash, Easter Basket Mix Radish, Bonny Best Tomato, Red Welsh Bunching Onion, Muncher Cucumber, Marketmore 76 Cucumber, New Kuroda Carrot, Table Queen Acorn Squash, Golden Butterwax Bean, Jade Bush Bean, Purple Teepee Bean, Red Express Cabbage, Little Gem Lettuce, Little Marvel Garden Pea, Laxton's Progress No. 9 Garden Pea, Golden Cal Wonder Pepper, King Of The North Pepper, Lilac Bell Pepper, Orange Bell Pepper, Free Seed Variety 1, Black Nebula Carrot and a free packet of White Tomesol (tomato) seeds (there's like 5 seeds in the packet. woohoo! :D).
No Goofy Grape? :grape:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

We've planted beans, spinach, asperagus, and potatoes :D
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

ordered $71.00 worth of seeds.
:eek: :Ahhh: i dont think i have ever spent more than £5 a year on seed myself....
i plucked the last of the b sprouts today - one was rather big...almost a mini cabbage!.
bs's.jpg
bs's.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

The crocus, hyacinths, and daffodils are coming out of the ground. Our daffodils have buds.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

^ ours have bloomed. i currently have daffs, violets, primrose, camelia, and those spotty leafed pinky purple thingys i like in flower. its nice to see color other than green!
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Yes, it's great to see spring springing!
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

Ordering peat pots tonight so I can start my seeds.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:10 pm
No Goofy Grape? :grape:
I got Brad's Atomic Grape Tomato, how much goofier can you get? :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:08 pm
:eek: :Ahhh: i dont think i have ever spent more than £5 a year on seed myself....
It is a lot, but most years I spend about $30.00 on plants, and maybe a few dollars on whatever seeds I am out of. This year, I am growing my own plants, so needed that seed, plus I am almost out of everything I normally plant, and bought some need kind of seeds. Next year I will be buying more new kinds of seeds to try, because I will be putting in even more beds.
I still have fruit trees to purchase. :eek: And rhubarb, plus some blackberries. :yes:
Cayla wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:52 am
The crocus, hyacinths, and daffodils are coming out of the ground. Our daffodils have buds.
The only ones coming up so far, are the stick flowers. The rest are still hiding under the new snow. :)
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Elara wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:13 am
I got Brad's Atomic Grape Tomato, how much goofier can you get? :lol:
Good point. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

Madeliaette wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:46 pm
^ ours have bloomed. i currently have daffs, violets, primrose, camelia, and those spotty leafed pinky purple thingys i like in flower. its nice to see color other than green!

I just want to see green, again. Everything here is still brown and dead.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette »

there is always green here - we have evergreen shrubs!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

We have a few evergreen trees around. There's a couple in the woods behind my Mother's house. Nothing else is showing any sign of life yet, though.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla »

The crocus have finally bloomed!