Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Post by RJDiogenes »

New episode in the morning! :bounce:
Gary wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm
Oh hell no. Burns was a bungling surgeon. Shaw is a very competent "grease monkey". He proved his mettle.
I'm just getting your goat. :lol: But they actually did retcon Burns' abilities over the course of the series, probably to justify his continued presence.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Okay, good news. I got my wish. Lore is not the super weapon. And the character that we saw in the previews is not really Lore, entirely. And we even have Data back again, and in a closer-to-the-real-thing version than we had in season one. This show just keeps me guessing, and also keeps throwing plot holes at me. Good stuff, though. They're really hot dogging the one-last-hurrah adventure theme.

And it turns out that the real super weapon is Picard's original corpse. Which was being kept on ice at the Daystrom Station, along with such perverted, dreadful weapons as the Genesis Device, Pitbull Tribbles, and the complete recordings of Slim Whitman. This very likely has something to do with Picard's time with the Borg-- either there are some remaining stealth nanoprobes or some genetic alteration. And whatever it is has likely been passed on to Jack. But why do the Changelings need both Picard's corpse and Jack?

Jack also appears to have inherited Picard's Eurythmic Syndrome, or whatever that is, but this seems highly dubious. First of all, it's a bit of a plot hole that Beverly didn't check Jack for this right off the bat, since she's the doctor who diagnosed Picard after his adventure in time. Secondly, Picard was asymptomatic up until the time of his diagnosis in his 60s, and well after. Third, it's highly unlikely that Jack's early onset of symptoms would be coincident with the Changeling infiltration. If what's going on in Jack's head is connected to the Changelings' plot, it's even possible that Picard was misdiagnosed all along.

And we finally get to see Geordi again, even if he is a grumpy old man-- but I love the dynamic of the old man and his two cute daughters. I'd watch that series. And he's a commodore, which means that he now outranks both Captain Riker and Retired Picard-- in fact, he's now the senior officer on the ship. And after all these years, he got to reactivate his best friend from the Enterprise voyages. The look on his face....

The new Data turning out to be a "golem" was quite a surprise, and nicely similar to the solution I had for the aging android problem back when TNG was still on the air (in fact, this episode had a few similarities to that). So this final adventure is really turning out to be a reunion of the entire cast-- except maybe Wesley, but who knows what surprises remain in store (and dare we hope for an O'Brien appearance?) And this twist of the resurrected Data being a multiple personality, which even includes Lal, though I don't know how they managed that, is intriguing-- will the personalities shift, or ultimately merge into a new being?

Some more thoughts:

Lots of great Worfisms in this episode. "Tart mead." "I am relieved-- I was practicing deception." "I said it."

Not many Shawisms, but I loved how he geeked out over Geordi after sneering at Picard and Riker all this time. Also, the look on his face in the "burgle" scene.

Daystrom Station is not just for computers anymore. What a house of horrors. This could be a setting for Star Trek's first Horror-themed series. Forget Section 31-- how about Section X?

The Starfleet Museum was also very cool and well designed, although you'd think there would be more ships than that by this time. It also gave the impression of being very understaffed. I wonder where it is. But it was nice seeing all those different ships. The 1701-A survived intact, which seems like something of a miracle. The Defiant and Voyager were there. And the... New Jersey? Is that random or a reference I don't get? It seems like there are other existing Constitution-classes that they could have used.

It's nice to see that there are still commodores in this era. Commodores were always my favorite during the TOS days-- that sweet spot between crazy captains and useless admirals.

The idea that the cloaking device on a a hundred-and-fifty-odd-year-old Klingon ship is still active and is compatible with the Titan and is proof against 25th-century sensors strains my credultiy to the point where I may need an MRI-- but, still, kinda cool.

Seven's reminiscing about her time on Voyager was sweet. It makes me think of a couple of long-term jobs I had where we were like a family, but it came to an end. It's nice to see her say how much it meant to her and it makes me want to see a Janeway series that tells us where everybody is and what they're doing.

Characterization in general has been top notch. I think this is the first time Star Trek has allowed characters to live full lives and actually grow and change.

Data's holographic eye beams were a surprise. I wonder if Picard can do that. I guess he can watch TV in bed and it turns itself off when he falls asleep.

I was a little disappointed that Moriarty wasn't really Moriarty, but at least we can hold onto the idea that the actual Moriarty is enjoying his simulated existence.

An actual flashback to "Encounter at Farpoint!" So groovy. Although it does kind of emphasize how ugly the 25th century is. Haha. Riker looks like a baby. :lol:

Captain Cackle grows less impressive with each episode. I mean, what's with the smoking? It just looks embarrassing. Why does she even exist? She's like the "distracting" attack on the recruiting station. A campaign of stealth should not involve attention whoring.

And now Riker is Cackle's captive (the transport-inhibiting tag was a nice touch). He was holding out pretty nicely under her lame torture until it was revealed that they're holding his wife hostage. Oh, no. What a tough break that shape shifters just happen to have the spouse of the guy that they randomly captured on board....
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'll be watching this new episode tomorrow :dance:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I wasn't too thrilled with the fleet museum either. A lot of those ships should not have looked so pristine. Don't forget the Titan is actually a rebuilt/upgraded 24th Century vessel, so it's possible the old cloaking device could work. One thing I couldn't clearly see was the one "exhibit" at Daystrom that had USS Enterprise on the label. What the heck was that?

I didn't pick up on that being Picard's corpse that the Changelings want. It's possible they want the Borg nanoprobes so as to incorporate them into their modified physiology. Heck if I know. I couldn't get a good look at Georgi's eyes, but am I to assume those are implants?

Neat trivia -- The US Navy brought back the rank of Commodore back around 1990. When I enlisted one went Captain, Rear Admiral Lower-Half, Rear Admiral Upper-Half, and then One Star Admiral. Yeah, going from Captain to Commodore to Rear Admiral makes more sense.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:01 pm
One thing I couldn't clearly see was the one "exhibit" at Daystrom that had USS Enterprise on the label. What the heck was that?
I don't know, but apparently I missed a lot-- including the corpses of Captains Archer and Kirk. Apparently Daystrom Station is the final resting place of anyone who commanded an Enterprise.
I couldn't get a good look at Georgi's eyes, but am I to assume those are implants?
Probably he got newer implants somewhere along the line. I doubt if he'd be satisfied with biological transplants at this point.
Neat trivia -- The US Navy brought back the rank of Commodore back around 1990. When I enlisted one went Captain, Rear Admiral Lower-Half, Rear Admiral Upper-Half, and then One Star Admiral. Yeah, going from Captain to Commodore to Rear Admiral makes more sense.
Oh, cool, I didn't know that. I remember looking it up in my Uncle Mike's book-- Bluejacket Manuel, I think it was called-- back in the 70s and being disappointed that it no longer existed.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:35 pm
Gary wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:01 pm
One thing I couldn't clearly see was the one "exhibit" at Daystrom that had USS Enterprise on the label. What the heck was that?
I don't know, but apparently I missed a lot-- including the corpses of Captains Archer and Kirk. Apparently Daystrom Station is the final resting place of anyone who commanded an Enterprise.
I couldn't get a good look at Georgi's eyes, but am I to assume those are implants?
Probably he got newer implants somewhere along the line. I doubt if he'd be satisfied with biological transplants at this point.
Oh, cool, I didn't know that. I remember looking it up in my Uncle Mike's book-- Bluejacket Manuel, I think it was called-- back in the 70s and being disappointed that it no longer existed.
Yes, the Bluejacket Manual. Such a shame I never kept my copy :no:

I am not sure how I feel about the Data Golem. What the hell is he supposed to be anyway? Is he a cyborg? I got lost in some of the discussions about him.

11 Amazing Star Trek Easter Eggs In Picard’s Daystrom Station
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Good episode, as usual :thumbsup:

Some observations:

* I didn't expect Geordi to be such an inept father :lol: But the again, on TNG he was kind of socially inept, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

* It's still jarring to see Geordi's eyes. They're very expressive, and it makes me appreciate LeVar Burton's acting skills that he could be so expressive on TNG while wearing his visor.

* I hate hearing how elderly Picard and Worf sound. They have old-men voices now. Weirdly, Riker's voice sounds the same as it did 35 years ago. But wow, you're right RJ, the flashback to Riker in 1987 was like watching him as a high school student :lol:

* To enhance my enjoyment of this series, I have to suspend my judgment about a bunch of issues I don't understand. Picard says he's seen Data die twice, and yet here he is again. Picard himself has died more than once. Death is never permanent on Star Trek, and I guess I okay with it because I enjoy the characters and am glad to see them together onscreen again.

* How Data is now a conglomeration of several other characters is beyond my understanding. Whatever -- I enjoy seeing Brent Spiner. And I agree, where is Colm Meany? Where are references to Sisko or other DS9 characters? I wish DS9 and ENT had more representation on this series.

* Makes sense for a grease monkey like Shaw to be in awe of Geordi. Very nice touch :yes:

* Geordi needs one more attractive daughter for a new series to be called Geordi's Angels :lol:

* Are Jack and Geordi's daughter a couple yet? :sex:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 pm
But why do the Changelings need both Picard's corpse and Jack?
More will be revealed :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 pm
Characterization in general has been top notch. I think this is the first time Star Trek has allowed characters to live full lives and actually grow and change.
I agree and it's good to see.
This list is really good. I really want to see Attack Tribbles in action :lol:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Picard sounding is a bit jarring on the soul. Worf sounds like a very wise elder. I can dig it.

Star Trek: Picard S3E6 "Bounty" EVERY EASTER EGG in Daystrom Station & the Fleet Museum!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:14 pm
Yes, the Bluejacket Manual. Such a shame I never kept my copy :no:
Actually, I'm fairly sure I still have my Uncle's, since I'm such a hoarder. He gave it to me when we were still living in Dorchester, so it probably dates back to 1968 or 1969.
I am not sure how I feel about the Data Golem. What the hell is he supposed to be anyway? Is he a cyborg? I got lost in some of the discussions about him.
They've been pretty vague about it. It's a more advanced android body, closer to human, and it ages-- which does not strike me as a great advancement. What it basically amounts to is that Brent Spiner is now able to play Data at his natural age.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:51 pm
* I didn't expect Geordi to be such an inept father :lol: But the again, on TNG he was kind of socially inept, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
Aw, c'mon, his kids turned out pretty good.
* I hate hearing how elderly Picard and Worf sound. They have old-men voices now.
Actually, I was thinking that Picard sounds more robust this year than in the first two seasons. Worf does sound a bit aged at times-- when he uses his offended voice, it goes a bit too high.
Picard says he's seen Data die twice, and yet here he is again.
Data died at the end of Nemesis and Picard was the last to see him alive. Then he got to share Data's death scene in season one, although that was a virtual copy of Data restored fractally from an engram or some stupid-ass thing. Now we have a Data based on the self-copy that Data uploaded to B-4, so it's really closer to the real Data than season one data was. Also, since Data was originally killed in a ship explosion, it's possible that he (or at least his head-- his head has a habit of popping up now and then) was thrown clear and may be found at some future date and restored.
How Data is now a conglomeration of several other characters is beyond my understanding.
He's just a multiple personality now, like Sybil.
And I agree, where is Colm Meany? Where are references to Sisko or other DS9 characters? I wish DS9 and ENT had more representation on this series.
With all this Dominion stuff going on, I think there's a good chance we'll see DS9-- possibly even travel through the Wormhole.
Geordi needs one more attractive daughter for a new series to be called Geordi's Angels :lol:
I'm on board for that show.
Are Jack and Geordi's daughter a couple yet? :sex:
Unless he wants to incur Geordi's wrath, Jack better stay off that lawn. :lol:
I wonder if changing Genesis to Genesis II is a wink at the failed Roddenberry pilot from the early 70s.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:57 pm
With all this Dominion stuff going on, I think there's a good chance we'll see DS9-- possibly even travel through the Wormhole.
You're right, and that's something to hope for :thumbsup:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:49 pm
You're right, and that's something to hope for :thumbsup:
Wil Wheaton says that there is a surprise legacy character appearing in the next episode-- I'm guessing it's somebody from DS9. Probably either Kira or Weyoun.
Now it occurs to me that the Face could be Weyoun.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Saw another of those articles which is speculating that the legacy character we'll see returning is Locutus. Why? Because the antagonists in the story stole Jean Luc Picard's body.

The plot thickens!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I've been thinking that the season is leading up to a showdown between Picard and Locutus, which would be pretty surreal. But I think we will probably see several independent legacy characters appear aside from that. Since the title of this week's episode is "Dominion," I think it will be Weyoun-- I can't think of any other character specifically associated with the Dominion, aside from the Female Changeling, and I don't think she would be part of the extremist group.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Gary wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:25 pm
Saw another of those articles which is speculating that the legacy character we'll see returning is Locutus. Why? Because the antagonists in the story stole Jean Luc Picard's body.
Fascinating. I can't wait to find out :popcorn:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:29 pm
I've been thinking that the season is leading up to a showdown between Picard and Locutus, which would be pretty surreal. But I think we will probably see several independent legacy characters appear aside from that. Since the title of this week's episode is "Dominion," I think it will be Weyoun
It has to be Weyoun, right? How else can we get the much-needed Jeffrey Combs to appear? This is going to be great :popcorn: