Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, my goodness. So much bad and so much good. But, so far, it's coming down heavily on the good side-- if they can maintain this for just one more episode, we'll have a worthy finale for modern Star Trek to carry us through to the next revival. :lol:

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way: The Borg, of course, but that was inevitable and it will be worthwhile if they do away with them for good. Jack is in the hands of the Borg Queen Mother after a five-minute Trek across the galaxy in a shuttle. Shaw is dead, and just to add insult to injury, they had to give him the corniest last words of all time-- I really hoped they would let the poor asshole live. And we get another surprise cameo, only to see her die (after confusing Starfleet with the Federation). And lastly, the entire diabolical scheme to destroy Starfleet and the Federation hinges on Starfleet being stupid enough to put their entire linked-up fleet in Earth orbit (although, to be fair, we don't know how long the Changelings have been infiltrating key positions).

But let's forget all that for a while, and focus on the good stuff: Through many tortuous and contrived plot developments that nobody in their right mind would believe for a Planck instant, the entire original crew of the Enterprise-D is reunited on the classic bridge of the restored Enterprise-D, complete with carpet and Majel Barrett's voice, to face the ultimate threat to their way of life. Such a beautiful thing to see.

And that ultimate threat turns out to be-- and I don't know if this was deliberate on the part of the writers or just the inevitable outgrowth of Trek values, but if it's deliberate then the writers deserve Oscars or Emmies or Chrome Headers and Hemmies, or whatever they give out these days, because it's absolutely ingenious-- the ultimate threat to the Next Generation is... the Millennial Generation! Oh, my sides! I can't begin to say how much I love this. :veryhappy:

After more than fifty years of (mostly) promoting classic American liberalism against various metaphors for Right-Wing obstinacy, the Federation stands on the brink of being destroyed from within by a metaphor for the Woke Folk. Talk about timely. Only the old and wise are immune to the siren song of self sabotage! At least we know that in Star Trek the good guys will win-- I think.

Just give me a minute to catch my breath here. I've got a stitch. :D

Okay, some other important thoughts:

What is it with the one-shot-kill phasers? Did they lose the technology for the stun setting along with the ceiling lights?

In order to reserve the E-D for the Next Gen alone, Seven and Raffie were clumsily left on the Titan-- I hope this does not bode ill for either or both.

It didn't really seem necessary for Shaw to sacrifice himself-- I think he really believed he needed to die at the hands of the Borg.

The Borg have been using the transporter to slowly add their DNA to Starfleet personnel, explaining Jack's vision. Very clever indeed. But if they've been doing this for years, what exactly did they need Picard and Jack for?

As much as I'm tired of the Borg, that Village of the Damned moment was nicely creepy.

Where's Agnes during all this?

I think Jack may end up fulfilling the role I had envisioned for Seven-- assuming the crown and then dissolving the collective entirely.

Geordi's kids better be okay. I wonder if it will be the connection between Jack and Sidney that will keep him grounded.

I love the idea of Geordi tinkering with the E-D on Sunday afternoons, working his way through a six pack and listening to a ball game on the radio, like it was a 57 Chevy or something.

Poor Shelby. She elbowed her way past Riker like she wanted, only to die at the hands of the Borg. Or maybe she'll surprise us and survive.

And what about Janeway? You'd think the Borg Queen would be even more interested in her than Picard.

Why was the red door made of wood with peeling red paint and a brass doorknob? That would have no significance to a child of the 24th century.

We still don't know who the Big Giant Head is-- or are we to assume that it was the Borg Queen using an Instagram filter?

One fear I have is that Starfleet will suffer such staggering losses in the last episode that it will be necessary to keep the E-D in service. While I'd love to see the E-D stay in active service, and be the aesthetic template for future ships (since every design since has been pretty much butt ugly), that's not the way to do it.

So here we go into the final episode of Picard, and possibly Star Trek in general, with Jack assimilated, Raffie and Seven trapped on the Titan, Sidney and Alandra zombified, and the Over-The-Hill Gang riding out to save the day. This has the potential to be amazingly good or horribly bad.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Bah. I found the restored E-D to be nothing more than shameless pandering to a subset of fans. I would have thought they'd have picked one of the other ships of the fleet museum that is older than the E-D. Hell, I could have stomached their using the HMS Bounty or that Constitution Class vessel. The E-D was destroyed upon crashing on Viridian III and should have been salvaged for materials to be used in other builds.

*inhales* Pass the Tylenol. Hallelujah.

I had the same two questions rj had as well: How can the Borg Queen be calling out to these folks, and where is Alice?

I wouldn't say Seven and Raphi have been left on the Titan. After all, Seven was the XO and Shaw transferred command to her before dying. I didn't like his passing. Great character.

Shelby took two phaser hits (that I could see) from about five feet away. I think it's safe to say "She's dead, Jim". We haven't seen them adjusting the phasers, but remember they have 10 settings that range from Stun to Kill. My bet is they've set their phasers to kill when we weren't looking. I also noticed the phasers look more like ENT and ToS phasers than the TNG era.

Oh, and one final note: I CALLED IT! I said waaaaaaaaaaaaaay, back something about Locutus was passed to Jack. Either Data or Geordi said the DNA mutation the Borg had implanted into Picard was designed to replicate across the Transporter networks the Federation uses. I have to say that was a very original bad guy idea a later group of writers devised based on earlier events. This is much better than the angry BIG BAD who is still ticked about that parking ticket on Rigel IV.

I laughed loudly at Data's comment about hoping to die quickly. Worf's comments about the weapons array on the E-D being insufficient were equally enjoyable.

Something I kept meaning to bring up is why Geordi outranks Riker. Geordi was a Lieutenant and Riker was a Command when TNG first premiered. I would have expected Riker to be at least a 1-star or 2-star Admiral.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:16 am
Bah. I found the restored E-D to be nothing more than shameless pandering to a subset of fans.
:hello: :lol:
I would have thought they'd have picked one of the other ships of the fleet museum that is older than the E-D.
Actually, I was expecting they would somehow grab the Enterprise-F. I figured that stuff about being decommissioned was a mix of foreshadowing and misdirection. I never thought we'd see the D again. Last season, I had it in the back of my mind that Q might restore it, because I figured it would take the power of a Q to do it.
I had the same two questions rj had as well: How can the Borg Queen be calling out to these folks, and where is Alice?
I'm afraid they're going to ignore Alice, just like they're ignoring Soji and most everyone else from the first two seasons-- it's a miracle that Raffi survived being ignored.
I wouldn't say Seven and Raphi have been left on the Titan. After all, Seven was the XO and Shaw transferred command to her before dying.
I'm thinking, or hoping, that they will take back the Titan and make a triumphant appearance at a crucial moment.
I didn't like his passing. Great character.
Hasn't Seven used her Borg powers to save people on the brink of death before?
Shelby took two phaser hits (that I could see) from about five feet away. I think it's safe to say "She's dead, Jim".
I'm afraid so. That was really worse than what they did to Ro and Hugh.
I also noticed the phasers look more like ENT and ToS phasers than the TNG era.
I did notice Jack's TOS phaser.
Oh, and one final note: I CALLED IT! I said waaaaaaaaaaaaaay, back something about Locutus was passed to Jack. Either Data or Geordi said the DNA mutation the Borg had implanted into Picard was designed to replicate across the Transporter networks the Federation uses. I have to say that was a very original bad guy idea a later group of writers devised based on earlier events. This is much better than the angry BIG BAD who is still ticked about that parking ticket on Rigel IV.
Yeah, that was a good and surprising plot twist.
I laughed loudly at Data's comment about hoping to die quickly. Worf's comments about the weapons array on the E-D being insufficient were equally enjoyable.
I also liked Worf's line that what happened to the Enterprise-E was not his fault. :lol:
Something I kept meaning to bring up is why Geordi outranks Riker. Geordi was a Lieutenant and Riker was a Command when TNG first premiered. I would have expected Riker to be at least a 1-star or 2-star Admiral.
Also, Shelby was a lieutenant commander in "Best of Both Worlds," and now she's a fleet admiral. Part of it is that Riker turned down promotion at least three times, and part of it is that he took a long, unspecified leave of absence when his son died.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:46 pm
Gary wrote:
Bah. I found the restored E-D to be nothing more than shameless pandering to a subset of fans.
:hello: :lol:
I would have thought they'd have picked one of the other ships of the fleet museum that is older than the E-D.
Actually, I was expecting they would somehow grab the Enterprise-F. I figured that stuff about being decommissioned was a mix of foreshadowing and misdirection. I never thought we'd see the D again. Last season, I had it in the back of my mind that Q might restore it, because I figured it would take the power of a Q to do it.
Using the E-F would have been (to me) lame as well. For chrissake there are HUNDREDS of ships in Starfleet!! Let's see more of them!!!!!111@@@ {inhale} {enhale} Anyway, the E-F is too new, so it wouldn't fit the needs. I could have lived with Geordi having grabbed either the Defiant or the New Jersey (the latter better fitting the bill of an old ship).
RJDiogenes wrote:
I wouldn't say Seven and Raphi have been left on the Titan. After all, Seven was the XO and Shaw transferred command to her before dying.
I'm thinking, or hoping, that they will take back the Titan and make a triumphant appearance at a crucial moment.
I hate those JIT (just in time) moments. They are formulaic and smack of lazy writing.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I didn't like his passing. Great character.
Hasn't Seven used her Borg powers to save people on the brink of death before?
I don't remember; however, he was pretty much roadkill.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I also liked Worf's line that what happened to the Enterprise-E was not his fault. :lol:
I would love to know what happened that necessitated the E-E to be decommissioned so early.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Also, Shelby was a lieutenant commander in "Best of Both Worlds," and now she's a fleet admiral. Part of it is that Riker turned down promotion at least three times, and part of it is that he took a long, unspecified leave of absence when his son died.
Ah, I didn't realize Riker had taken time off after the death of his son. I can't remember when that was to have happened, but you bring up a good point where he kept passing up taking his own command. I know TNG was an ensemble show, but that would have made for even better character development/interaction by having people rotate in and out.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Just watched episodes 8 and 9, and so now I'm caught up :dance:

I gotta say this is all good stuff. One thing I absolutely loved, even though it was cheesy as hell, was the clever way that Data defeated Lore. I could see it happening immediately and it really does speak to the power of love in defeating hate.

When planning this season, the showrunners probably had a checklist of "must-haves" and they've done a great job of checking all the boxes:

Reunion of old cast members, check.
Reunion aboard the old Enterprise D, check.
Humorous lines from Worf and Data, check.
Heartfelt conversations between Riker and Troi, check.
No Wesley Crusher, check.
Return of classic villains, the Changelings and Borg, check.
Main characters mush have dark, deep secrets, check.
New women characters and characters of color, check.
New badass Captain offers initial resistance, check.
Said Captain then comes around and aligns with the crew, check.
Said Captain then dies, proving he's only been a plot device, check.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:34 pm
if they can maintain this for just one more episode, we'll have a worthy finale for modern Star Trek to carry us through to the next revival. :lol:
:lol: Exactly. Just like no one ever really dies in Star Trek, no franchise ever dies, either -- as long as it makes money.
RJDiogenes wrote:
....the ultimate threat to the Next Generation is... the Millennial Generation! Oh, my sides! I can't begin to say how much I love this. :veryhappy:
Actually, it's people under 25 who are fighting their elders, which means they're Generation Z, also known as Post-Millennials. To be honest I'm unsure how Post-MIllennials differ from Millennials, if they do at all.
RJDiogenes wrote:
So here we go into the final episode of Picard, and possibly Star Trek in general, with Jack assimilated, Raffie and Seven trapped on the Titan, Sidney and Alandra zombified, and the Over-The-Hill Gang riding out to save the day. This has the potential to be amazingly good or horribly bad.
I suspect it will end on the good side. I have a few friends who hated Picard seasons 1 and 2 but who love this 3rd and final season. IMHO, they're all pretty good quality, but some definitely have more black-and-white evaluations.
Gary wrote:
I CALLED IT! I said waaaaaaaaaaaaaay, back something about Locutus was passed to Jack.
I bow to you :worship: That was a great call and I didn't see it coming.
Gary wrote:
I laughed aloud, too. In fact, Data delivered that line exactly how Leslie Nielsen would have in the movie Airplane :lol:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:28 pm
I hate those JIT (just in time) moments. They are formulaic and smack of lazy writing.
Yeah, but Raffi and Seven need their heroic beat.
I would love to know what happened that necessitated the E-E to be decommissioned so early.
Either they're leaving it to the imagination or they're referencing something in the novels, I guess.
Ah, I didn't realize Riker had taken time off after the death of his son. I can't remember when that was to have happened
I don't think they were very specific, but I don't really remember either.
I know TNG was an ensemble show, but that would have made for even better character development/interaction by having people rotate in and out.
Probably. It worked well for M*A*S*H. But Voyager is the show where I would have preferred a greater turnover.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:18 pm
One thing I absolutely loved, even though it was cheesy as hell, was the clever way that Data defeated Lore. I could see it happening immediately and it really does speak to the power of love in defeating hate.
Yes, that was a great development. They've done a decent job of developing the characters this season.
No Wesley Crusher, check.
Don't count out Wes yet. They may have a Bro moment planned for him and Jack. He may decide to take him away, like he did with Soong's daughter, to teach him how to use his powers wisely.
Actually, it's people under 25 who are fighting their elders, which means they're Generation Z, also known as Post-Millennials. To be honest I'm unsure how Post-MIllennials differ from Millennials, if they do at all.
Well, it would have been less quippy to say that. :lol: Anyway, I have reason to be somewhat optimistic for Gen Z.
I have a few friends who hated Picard seasons 1 and 2 but who love this 3rd and final season. IMHO, they're all pretty good quality, but some definitely have more black-and-white evaluations.
They were inconsistent and frustrating, but I don't hate them.
I laughed aloud, too. In fact, Data delivered that line exactly how Leslie Nielsen would have in the movie Airplane :lol:
That's what we need. A Star Trek movie in the style of Airplane!. :lol:
I still like the image of Geordi with a six-pack of Narragansett and the Red Sox on a transistor radio as he putters away with the warp core on a Sunday afternoon. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Spoiler alert? I'm taking no chances. I'll wait to watch this video until after the final episode 10.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:57 am
Spoiler alert? I'm taking no chances. I'll wait to watch this video until after the final episode 10.
It doesn't have any information about Episode 10. I grabbed it from a feed last night.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Gary wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:42 am
scottydog wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:57 am
It doesn't have any information about Episode 10. I grabbed it from a feed last night.
Okay, good. Watching now.... argh, too bad that Alison Pill isn't returning :(
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It does confirm that Captain Cackle was conferring with the Borg Queen on her hand phone. Now I'm thinking that there's some significance to the fact that they didn't show us her face in the last episode. Maybe that ugly face was not a disguise. :afraid:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I wouldn't mind seeing Shatner's Kirk get a grand finale in a movie or limited series, but they better hurry. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »