Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Post by RJDiogenes »

There were a few problems with the Enterprise finale that suggested that the historical reconstruction was inaccurate. One that bugged me that isn't mentioned in the article is that everyone was the same rank ten years later-- poor Hoshi and Travis got a more raw deal than Harry Kim and they were actually competent. :lol: I'd love to see Archer get the Picard treatment so that Enterprise could get a proper reunion and finale.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ That's a great idea. But just as DS9 has been ignored in this new era of televised Trek, I suspect Enterprise will, too :no:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

DS9 has been referenced a few times, most notably with the Changelings in Picard, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more. I think Paramount is getting that message from the Picard feedback. Unfortunately, they've already committed to a couple of Discovery spinoffs-- but I'm actually wondering if this writer's strike might help with that. Writer's strikes often result in a lot of cancelled projects.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I think Avery Brookes has retired from acting, and the actor who played Rom is dead, so that takes out two of my favorite characters. I wonder what a DS9 'reunion' would entail considering the Cardassians were fighting for their independence.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I don't think Avery Brooks was ever into the Star Trek thing like most of the other actors are. Although the Chakotay guy came back, and he was the same. I'm not sure what the status of the Jake Sisko actor is, but it might be cool for him to reappear. I'd love to see that DS9 has been upgraded to a real starbase, and Bajor and Cardassia are at peace, and exploration is going on through the wormhole. The plotline could involve the Changeling terrorists, since that was completely dropped in Picard. The trouble is that everybody but Kira has probably moved on in all these years, so it would take some contrivance to bring them all together.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:43 pm
I don't think Avery Brooks was ever into the Star Trek thing like most of the other actors are. Although the Chakotay guy came back, and he was the same. I'm not sure what the status of the Jake Sisko actor is, but it might be cool for him to reappear. I'd love to see that DS9 has been upgraded to a real starbase, and Bajor and Cardassia are at peace, and exploration is going on through the wormhole. The plotline could involve the Changeling terrorists, since that was completely dropped in Picard. The trouble is that everybody but Kira has probably moved on in all these years, so it would take some contrivance to bring them all together.
I would say Bashir would have left Starfleet to pursue medicine on his own terms, as he always dreamt of practicing "Frontier Medicine"; the O'Briens would be retired; Ezri could still possibly be in Starfleet; Quark may or may no longer be Grand Nagus; and we pretty much know how things turned out with Worf. Kira may either still be on the station, could be serving in a different political position, or could be retired.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Any speculation about how Garak and Gul Dukat turned out?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:31 pm
I would say Bashir would have left Starfleet to pursue medicine on his own terms, as he always dreamt of practicing "Frontier Medicine";
That's an interesting thought. He may be out there in the No Man's Zone where Beverly was. They could have potentially crossed paths over the years.
the O'Briens would be retired;
Would O'Brien retire? Maybe, since he has a family. But he might have some quiet, stable job like Geordi's at the Fleet Museum. Actually, he's one that I could see still at DS9.
Ezri could still possibly be in Starfleet;
Yeah, she was young so she's probably a counselor on a starship somewhere, if she hasn't been killed in one of the numerous incidents where most of the fleet was destroyed.
Quark may or may no longer be Grand Nagus;
I forgot he was Grand Nagus. We know from Picard that his bar is now a chain, so he could be anywhere.
Kira may either still be on the station, could be serving in a different political position, or could be retired.
Kira is a very interesting case. I don't see her ever retiring. But she could have kept her Starfleet commission and is now the Admiral in charge of the new DS9. She was a hero of the resistance, so she could be president, or former president, of Bajor (or whatever equivalent they have). She was also always very religious, so she could have eventually become a Kai in her older years. All of these have interesting possibilities.
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:33 am
Any speculation about how Garak and Gul Dukat turned out?
I think Dukat ended up in Wormhole Hell with Sisko-- if they brought back Sisko, they'd probably bring back him too. The actor is 80 years old, but doesn't seem to be retired. I think Garak was headed back to Cardassia, so anything could have happened to him over the course of 25 years. The actor is 81 years old. What I'd like to see from him is a cameo where he is just... plain simple Garak, the tailor. Give the guy some peace of mind in his old age.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I don't recall Kira being commissioned as a Starfleet officer. She had been promoted to Colonel later in the series, and Bajor is her home and area of concern. I think Garrack would have finally returned to Cardassia, cleansed of his banishment since he helped free Cardassia from the Dominion.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I thought I remembered seeing Kira in a Starfleet uniform at the end of the series. But she was definitely more focused on Bajor than the Federation, so she may be more likely to become a president or a Kai. Although Bajor did join the Feds somewhere along the line, so she could also have wanted to have some influence in Starfleet.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I believe the title of Kai is bestowed upon someone in the religious vocation. That's something I definitely don't see Kira doing. I could see her continuing up the ranks (she had been promoted to Colonel) and either retiring to run for elected office or to finally enjoy a peaceful life.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah, Kai is a religious position, and Kira was always depicted as being very religious, so I can see her taking that route in her older years. She could definitely ride her resistance-years cred to political office or a high rank and position in the military. Whichever way she goes, I see her going to the top-- she's too high strung to retire and go fishing. :lol:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

Hi all. I've just kind of skimmed thru this page of posts but there is something I can pretty much guarantee: No one will ever do anything to fix that farce of the last episode of Enterprise. I have the series, but won't watch that episode. :no:

Anyway, I've finally made w my As far as episode 8 of Picard. Now you guys are going to think I'm weird, but here goes: (remember - nothing deep or insightful. Just shallow observations) Every single time the Shrike showed up, They used the exact same sound effect that was used for the Martians in the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds. After the first time I heard it, I pulled out my copy of the movie to check, and Yup - there it was.

So each time the Shrike showed up, I just gave a little laugh. :lol: Or a snicker.

See? Hardly insightful. :lol:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc »

🔺Oh, season 3.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

jgc wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:21 am
Hi all. I've just kind of skimmed thru this page of posts but there is something I can pretty much guarantee: No one will ever do anything to fix that farce of the last episode of Enterprise. I have the series, but won't watch that episode. :no:
Actually, I could fix it-- after all, it was just a flawed holoprogram, based on faulty historical information after several interstellar wars caused the loss of so many records. :D
Every single time the Shrike showed up, They used the exact same sound effect that was used for the Martians in the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds. After the first time I heard it, I pulled out my copy of the movie to check, and Yup - there it was.
That's strange. I didn't realize that because I never saw the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds (because Tom Cruise is in it :D). I suppose they either used the same company for their sound effects or else Captain Cackle stole the Shrike from an ancient Martian settlement. They never did explain where she got it. :lol: