Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Star Trek: Picard (aka ST:P)

Post by Lupine »

^I'm OK with some of that as long as they don't go overboard and turn the Federation into a generic dystopia. Shows can be political without beating you over the head with it.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:35 am
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:33 am
And I don't really want to see a "populist" Federation.
Neither do I. I watch Star Trek to escape reality, not to re-experience it.
One comment I read said that if they wanted to be depressed they'd watch the news.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

When they're commenting on current political or social ills, it's best to do it as an analogy using an alien species or some rogue group. Enterprise was fine because it was a hundred years before TOS and DS9 took it about as far as I want it to go, and maybe a little overboard here and there. If Picard is anything like Discovery, it won't interest me.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Yeah my interest has flagged a bit.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:24 pm
Yeah my interest has flagged a bit.
If ST: Picard, doesn't work out, let's lobby for ST: Zippy -- the story of a rogue, law-defying ship, shaped like a motorcycle.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :lol:
...Boldly committing crimes where no crime has been committing before....
:motorcycle:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:46 pm
When they're commenting on current political or social ills, it's best to do it as an analogy using an alien species or some rogue group. Enterprise was fine because it was a hundred years before TOS and DS9 took it about as far as I want it to go, and maybe a little overboard here and there. If Picard is anything like Discovery, it won't interest me.
Audiences seemed to really like Discovery's interpretation of Captain Pike, plus Season 2 is said to have been much better than Season 1. The main problem has been how the rights had been broken up. After 13 Years Of Rights Issues, Star Trek Is Whole Again

As far as it being a dystopian future -- I'd say that's not the case. I think it won't be as happy and positive as ToS, but then, contrary to the rose colored glasses boomers have, ToS was pretty bad and people gloss over the inconsistencies (think Spock). I don't think it will be dark, but it may not be as positive and warm as TNG. Consider the evolution of the ships where the Galaxy Class were centered around families and a comfortable lifestyle, whereas the Federation went to the Sovereign Class due to the threats presented by the Borg and others.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I don't mind politics or conflict, of course, but I don't like that they went in the direction of always being at war with a Big Bad, like the Borg or the Dominion or the Whatevers. I like the approach of exploring strange new worlds and finding them populated with metaphors. Star Trek should not worry about being realistic-- unfortunately, faux realism is the trend these days.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:51 pm
^ :lol:
...Boldly committing crimes where no crime has been committing before....
:motorcycle:
:lol: :guffaw:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think tonight's the night. Or tomorrow's the day. Anyway, it's just about here.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

CBS all-access, right?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Yes. It was online this morning, and I watched it.

I had mixed feelings about it. There were things I liked and things I didn't, but nothing so far that I can't live with, and I am overall optimistic that this may turn out well.

I was very worried that they would corrupt the Federation or Starfleet, and they kind of did that-- and yet, I found myself okay with it, because I could really sympathize with Picard's position. He resigned from Starfleet because they abandoned their principles by letting the Romulans twist in the wind. When I was young, when TOS was on the air, we had a widespread humanitarian social movement that changed the world more than it had ever been changed before-- then those who came after us abandoned those principles in favor of fundamentalist identity politics and political correctness, alienating and dividing people, and bringing us to our current dark times. So I am in somewhat the same state of disgust as Picard is now. And the Federation isn't being portrayed as some dark nuBSG dystopia-- it's still a high civilization-- but it's lost its moral high ground. So I can accept this as Star Trek dealing with contemporary issues as it always has, as long this is fixed in the end.

The other thing that I was worried about was whether they would reference the Romulan supernova, and they did. I don't really want any acknowledgement of JJ Trek, but there are mitigating factors here, too. The focus is really more on the Mars attack by rogue "Synths," the purpose of which seems to have been to prevent saving Romulans. Plus, there was no mention of Spock. Hopefully there won't be, so that we can just assume that in the original timeline our Spock did not end his life in colossal failure as he did in JJ World.

The setup and premise seem decent so far, although I would have preferred an Admiral Picard on the bridge of an Enterprise. There were a lot of nice touches, like him speaking French at home and keeping all of his relics from his days on the 1701-D in a stasis storage chamber. I like that he has two Romulan caretakers who adore him, but aren't afraid to poke fun at him. I like his dog. I like the attention to so many details of TNG, like Data's painting and his run-in with Maddox.

The interview at the start of the episode on the occasion of the Martian attack anniversary was perfectly done to both unload a lot of needed exposition and also to present the reduced character of the Federation in the person of the vapid and self righteous interviewer. We're presented with a mystery that will be central to the plot: Why did a fleet of rogue Androids (now called "Synths" for no apparent reason) destroy the fleet intended to evacuate Romulans? Do Synths hate Romulans? Was there another motive? In any case, Androids have now been outlawed-- although the rogues are presumably still out there-- and are apparently viewed as "soulless killing machines" by the common people. I wonder if this law (and prejudice) is being applied to holograms like the Doctor.

I was very surprised that the character of Dahj was killed off so quickly, and I'm not entirely convinced it was a real death. The first group of attackers seemed to want to abduct her, so the second attack was either conducted by a different group or her death was a red herring of some kind. We'll see. It seems odd that they would kill off Data's daughter just as she came to Picard for help, even if she has a twin out there. And we still have to find out who her mother is and if Maddox was involved in her creation.

I'm not entirely surprised that Data remained dead and that B4 could not handle his memories. I'm a little more surprised that they explicitly said that it's still impossible to replicate Dr Soong's technology, and I wonder what that means, since we know that other AIs, such as the Doctor, exist. Plus, those rogues are presumably sentient. I hope they don't retcon the Doctor as a mere simulation.

One thing that really felt like a rip off was that the story was only 43 minutes long. Come on, people, this is streaming!

On a technical level, the sound was really bad. I had my laptop cranked up to the max and had to turn on the subtitles. I hope that goes better with future episodes.

But anyway, I was pretty relieved that this episode was not a disaster and was actually pretty good. It was really nice to see a cranky old Picard get a little bit of his fire back, and I wonder where this will take us. I'm still a little worried, but more optimistic now.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Overall, a very successful debut episode IMHO. It held my attention the entire 45 minutes. The story was strong, Patrick Stewart's still got it, the new characters were wonderful, and I absolutely loved the way they portrayed future technologies from replicators to communications to airborne tactile-based computer screens.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:38 am
I had mixed feelings about it. There were things I liked and things I didn't, but nothing so far that I can't live with, and I am overall optimistic that this may turn out well.
No mixed feelings here. I loved it. I had no problem with Picard being a man of principle separating himself from the larger, morally compromised organization. I can totally relate to that.
Why did a fleet of rogue Androids (now called "Synths" for no apparent reason)
My impression was that they're called Synths because they aren't Androids in the way that Data was an Android. Only Dahj and her sister are Data-like Androids. I could be wrong.
I was very surprised that the character of Dahj was killed off so quickly, and I'm not entirely convinced it was a real death.
I hadn't thought about the possibility of Dahj still being alive. I really like that idea, as she was a wonderful character.
One thing that really felt like a rip off was that the story was only 43 minutes long. Come on, people, this is streaming!
Yeah, I hear ya. Maybe they're catering to the modern-day lack of attention span.
On a technical level, the sound was really bad. I had my laptop cranked up to the max and had to turn on the subtitles.
I had the same problem and solved it by putting in my earbuds. The sound was much, much stronger and better.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:24 am
My impression was that they're called Synths because they aren't Androids in the way that Data was an Android. Only Dahj and her sister are Data-like Androids. I could be wrong.
Dahj and her sister could pass for human, so they aren't like Data. But you're probably right about Synths being the organic-type Android. They sound like they're basically vat-grown humans with positronic brains, although why sensors can't detect the positronic brains, I don't know.
I hadn't thought about the possibility of Dahj still being alive. I really like that idea, as she was a wonderful character.
I hope it's true, because it's a real waste to meet Data's daughter just to have her die.
I had the same problem and solved it by putting in my earbuds. The sound was much, much stronger and better.
Good idea. I'll have to see if I have any.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'm noticing fairly positive reviews from critics for this first episode. That's good news.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I scrolled through the thread at TrekBBS and it seemed mostly positive, aside from the usual fanboy slappy fights.