The TWO-SENTENCE STORY Thread

Post your original works of fiction here.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: The TWO-SENTENCE STORY Thread

Post by RJDiogenes »

They've got my vote.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Bill
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Bill »

After making another fruit loop pie, my cat put on her squarepants and painted all the rooms in my apartment yellow. This is just another normal day in the life of the cat in the squarepants making her fruit loop pies.
Thank you
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Very surreal and nicely symmetrical. :yes:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Bill wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:13 pm
After making another fruit loop pie, my cat put on her squarepants and painted all the rooms in my apartment yellow. This is just another normal day in the life of the cat in the squarepants making her fruit loop pies.
:lol:

I'm wondering what drugs you were on when you composed this highly surreal story :lol:
Bill
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Bill »

And then I saw God and God made me the universe, but my head / mind exploded into infinite suns and galaxies going everywhere. This looked so good, that I ate them for dinner too.
Thank you
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

A two-sentence creation and apocalypse myth.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Based on one of Gary's funny pictures in the funny picture thread:

Waking us in the night, our daughter told us how old she'd be on her next birthday by holding up four fingers. We've been up all night trying to get her to tell us where she got them.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Even more efficient! :lol:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"Leader, Agent Gesni has reported that planet 51-rth is indeed a water world, however the average salinity of its oceans is 3.5 percent, making life impossible. The council recommends that this planet be removed from the exploration candidate database."

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:17 pm
"Leader, Agent Gesni has reported that planet 51-rth is indeed a water world, however the average salinity of its oceans is 3.5 percent, making life impossible. The council recommends that this planet be removed from the exploration candidate database."
Very nice. This raises the question of whether other Earth-like planets have similar salinity issues with their oceans. What's to stop an Earth-like planet from having fresh water oceans?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Land, basically. Salt and other precipitates come from erosion and is delivered by rivers and streams and such. I really never thought about it before, but I suppose a world that is entirely ocean would probably have a much different chemical make up, but I have no idea if it would exactly be fresh water. In any case, not much of a chance of a technological civilization arising there. Perhaps a world with minimal land mass. I once envisioned a swiftly rotating planet with only a thin belt of land around the equator.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:03 pm
Land, basically. Salt and other precipitates come from erosion and is delivered by rivers and streams and such.
But land surrounds rivers and streams and they're not salty :conf: So I did the Google thing and here's (sort of) an explanation.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^And saline content is not unique to Earth.

Life on Earth may still be impossible though.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 pm
But land surrounds rivers and streams and they're not salty :conf: So I did the Google thing and here's (sort of) an explanation.
Yeah, rivers are constantly being fed and refreshed by rain, snow melt, and spring water, so they stay fairly fresh, as do lakes. Although this is not necessarily true of all lakes and springs. But the article does mention that primeval seas were probably only slightly salty, which supports the idea that the ocean of a water planet may have a very different chemical makeup-- which would mean that it would have a very different freezing point. The consequences of that bear further thought.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:21 pm
^And saline content is not unique to Earth.
That's interesting. I wonder what the mechanism there is. It may be evidence of a huge number of thermal vents.
:lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:01 pm
But the article does mention that primeval seas were probably only slightly salty, which supports the idea that the ocean of a water planet may have a very different chemical makeup
I dream of a world with sugary water. If we grew pure cane sugar along the banks of every river, could we achieve that goal?
Lupine wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:21 pm