2020 Politics: On the Hill of Megiddo

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

2020 Politics: On the Hill of Megiddo

Post by Lupine »

A new thread in anticipation of the political wonders before us.
:unsure:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: 2020 Politics: On the Hill of Megiddo

Post by scottydog »

Many of my liberal friends are divided, sometimes heatedly, about which Dem candidate to support. My feeling is that I don't really care which Dem candidate is nominated -- any one of them is a 1,000 percent improvement over what we have now.

I do worry that Biden and Sanders are past their expiration date.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I worry about their ages too. With his heart condition I'm sure that Sanders, if elected, would probably die in office. :no: Our best hope is that they pick good VP candidates.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Taking all of the most likely outcomes into consideration, there's a very high likelihood that the next president will die in office-- the first time such a thing has happened since 1963. This is one of the reasons I respect Biden. He didn't really want to run and only got into the race because of the need for someone who could soundly defeat The Donald. He's essentially sacrificing his life for his country.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:54 pm
I worry about their ages too. With his heart condition I'm sure that Sanders, if elected, would probably die in office. :no: Our best hope is that they pick good VP candidates.
You're right. The VPs will be very important, which is why Pence concerns me so much. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:35 am
He's essentially sacrificing his life for his country.
Isn't Biden's health better than Bernie's? I'd like to think he'd survive four years in office.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:09 am
Lupine wrote:
You're right. The VPs will be very important, which is why Pence concerns me so much. :no:
Boy, you all are an ever-loving cup of joy.
scottydog wrote:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:35 am
He's essentially sacrificing his life for his country.
Isn't Biden's health better than Bernie's? I'd like to think he'd survive four years in office.
Sorry, but Joe Biden is NOT there mentally.

Meanwhile.....

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Gary wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:28 pm
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
We're undying optimists. :lol:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Gary wrote:
I don't think he's ever been there mentally or emotionally. He's not my 1st or 2nd Dem choice but I'd still vote for him.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Biden is probably technically fitter than Bernie, although Bernie seems to have bounced back from his little cardiac event pretty well. But have you ever seen before and after pictures of American presidents? The job is debilitating. I think either Biden or Bernie, and even Warren, are likely to not make it out the other end. Even The Donald, who is untouched by the stresses of reality, may not survive a second term.
Gary wrote:
We're living in tough times. :lol:
I don't see any reason to question his abilities. In any case, he can sit in the Rose Garden and play chess with Bernie for all I care, as long as he wins. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I thought Biden was in over his head as a Vice President. But as I've said, I'd still vote for him if he's the nominee.

You're right about Trump being unburdened by reality :lol:

If Trump wins in 2020, I predict Mayor Pete will be President in 2024. And his hair will be completely white by 2028 :lol:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:34 pm
Gary wrote:
I don't see any reason to question his abilities. In any case, he can sit in the Rose Garden and play chess with Bernie for all I care, as long as he wins. :lol:
I do. He's a bit of a creep with his insistence on being touchy with females, plus his verbals gaffs are on par or even worse than W's. Sorry, but Joe needs to be put to pasture. It's NOT his turn. A centrist candidate is a sure fire way to ensure Trump is re-elected.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Gary wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 pm
A centrist candidate is a sure fire way to ensure Trump is re-elected.
I've heard the same argument from others whom I respect. It seems counterintuitive, but if Trumpsters are looking for a maverick, a rebel who will blow up the rigged system, then they may switch their votes from Trump to a Sanders.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

OK, I've not been too motivated to discuss politics because, quite frankly, we have an administration filled with "that crazy uncle", "annoying idiot cousin", and "conspiracy minded nutbag from work" who all think they know how to "...get the country on the right track." Trump's assassination of an Iranian General, on sovereign soil, along with the lame (and delayed) debriefing of members of Congress, may not bode well for the upcoming impeachment trial. Republicans are not liking how the Administration is giving vague "facts" as to why he was a threat, not to mention the pulled-out-of-someone's-ass interpretation of Article II from the Constitution in regard's to the President's war powers.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah it's been such a mess it's hard to know where to start with it. Trump acting like a lunatic, the Administration acting in brazenly unconstitutional ways, Republicans furrowing their brows in concern but ultimately towing the line, Democrats trying to form a circular firing squad, ect.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I spend a lot of time feeling like one of the last humans on the Planet of the Apes.