Check-In 102: 2020 in Hindsight.

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Re: Check-In 102: 2020 in Hindsight.

Post by scottydog » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 am

Today was a VERY busy day and I'm even more exhausted than I thought I'd be. The good news is that I met a new group of students in my social psych class and I really, really like them. They all participated and were very pleasant and eager to please. :dance:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:43 pm
Need to get firewood and chicken feed today.
I've sometimes seen firewood and chicken feed packaged together in stores :loopy:
australis wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:17 am
scottydog wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 pm
Does Sigmund Freud figure prominently in your story? I hope so!
Freud. Jung. Trotsky. Lenin. Stalin. Friedell. And a certain painter...
Cool. Jung is a favorite of mine. He loved chocolate, so don't forget to put that in your story. :drool:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 pm
Well, one of my cases today involved a teenage girl who has metastatic thyroid cancer. That would be bad enough, but the reason her mom contacted me was because a doctor was denying her treatment because of her age. They're in Pennsylvania, so all I could do was inform the local plan. I'll probably never know what happens to her or the doctor.
This has to be really hard on you, given how much you care about people. Being involved in these unfortunate situations probably takes a toll on you :no:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:15 am

GM. h they just cncelled the contract ith the ceaning agency s thy can affrd a claener any longer...i ill either pick up anther private job or 3 or be the agency relief cleaner and gt liftd to cleaning jobs as there arent any local evening agency jobs i can walk to.
today 2h, 1h, 2h, 1.5 h jobs as im dog sitting as well as cleaning

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

This weekend I must remember to get my new glasses. I got the prescription about six weeks ago.
australis wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:17 am
Freud. Jung. Trotsky. Lenin. Stalin. Friedell. And a certain painter...
Sweet. Sounds like something that could easily grow into an epic. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 am
The good news is that I met a new group of students in my social psych class and I really, really like them. They all participated and were very pleasant and eager to please. :dance:
There you go: Potential minions. :thumbsup:
This has to be really hard on you, given how much you care about people. Being involved in these unfortunate situations probably takes a toll on you :no:
It is definitely not my favorite part of the job, especially when it involves kids.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:15 am
they just cncelled the contract ith the ceaning agency s thy can affrd a claener any longer...i ill either pick up anther private job or 3 or be the agency relief cleaner and gt liftd to cleaning jobs as there arent any local evening agency jobs i can walk to.
Hopefully something will turn up between now and the end of the job. I wonder if you could work out something between you and the cancelling people where they pay you directly-- obviously they must pay the agency a lot more than the agency pays you.

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Happy Wednesday, everyone :hello:

This going back to work stuff really is unpleasant. A million things to do today -- meetings, busywork, emails galore.

Oh, plus the Dean wants to "have a beer" with me to discuss me being department chair. I'm going to do everything I can to get out of it. I'd rather scrape roadkill off the roads.
Madeliaette wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:15 am
i ill either pick up anther private job or 3 or be the agency relief cleaner and gt liftd to cleaning jobs as there arent any local evening agency jobs i can walk to.
Good. I'm glad there are work opportunities for you. I worry about the economy there, and here, taking a downturn.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am
There you go: Potential minions. :thumbsup:
All I need now is to come up with an evil plan. They will follow all my evil orders to the letter. :devil:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Need to hit a market later today ahead of the expected storm tomorrow.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am
This weekend I must remember to get my new glasses. I got the prescription about six weeks ago.
I've been trying to get my aunt to see an eye doctor for years. The other day I even offered to make the appointment for her with no avail. :no:
scottydog wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm
Oh, plus the Dean wants to "have a beer" with me to discuss me being department chair. I'm going to do everything I can to get out of it. I'd rather scrape roadkill off the roads.
I take it that department chair is not a good job? :unsure:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Well, today was weirder, but better.
scottydog wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm
Oh, plus the Dean wants to "have a beer" with me to discuss me being department chair. I'm going to do everything I can to get out of it.
Demand hard liquor!
All I need now is to come up with an evil plan. They will follow all my evil orders to the letter. :devil:
They'll come in handy if the Dean talks you into being Chairman of the Bored. :diabolical:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm
I've been trying to get my aunt to see an eye doctor for years. The other day I even offered to make the appointment for her with no avail. :no:
Why are people so resistant to taking care of themselves?

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:15 pm

^I know it's a pain in the butt to make appointments, take time to do it, and the like. But it's sometimes necessary.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 pm

My Brother's eyes are so bad that he can't watch TV and I don't know how he drives without killing himself. I only hope his next license renewal is one where they require an eye exam.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 pm

^ :eek:
Yikes! That is bad. :no:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 am

Good evening!

On Sunday, I spent 3 hours at the adopted parents house. The 5-year-old talked to me non stop. She used to be shy, when she was with her piece of garbage mother. The almost 2-year-old, who hasn't seen me since June, kept showing off by running back and forth, bringing me her toys one by one, and climbing up and down to sit on my lap. It warms my heart to see them taken cared for, loved, happy, and structured. When they went down for a nap, the parents told me that Ron bought Lisa 4 vehicles, clothes, and school clothes for the 5 year old. They also told me he was paying her friends for sex, too. Her deceased husband caught them a year ago, and was distraught over whether to tell me or not. Also, the adoption isn't going through until May. Lisa and Ron thinks they have already been adopted. I told them we will keep it that way. :lol: Anyways, I am allowed to visit the girls anytime I want. Karma... Ron won't be allowed to see the kids, but I can. I was so happy after that visit. I really do believe that their new parents and I are going to become good friends. :)
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:00 am

Lupine wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 pm
^ :eek:
Yikes! That is bad. :no:
Yes, very bad indeed.
Cayla wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 am
On Sunday, I spent 3 hours at the adopted parents house. The 5-year-old talked to me non stop. She used to be shy, when she was with her piece of garbage mother. The almost 2-year-old, who hasn't seen me since June, kept showing off by running back and forth, bringing me her toys one by one, and climbing up and down to sit on my lap. It warms my heart to see them taken cared for, loved, happy, and structured.
That's adorable. It's nice to hear something so bad turned into something so good. :)

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 am

Howdy! Howdy!

Yes, yes, it's been a week since I've checked in. I skimmed the posts I missed (at least 2 pages worth), so, I'm not totally in the dark. :D I saw australis stopped by. I'll say Howdy to him and hope he stops by again to see.

Not too much happening here. I went for my regular 6 month check up this morning. My appointment was at 9 and he was already almost an hour behind schedule. He was flying! But there wasn't anything I really wanted to talk to him about, so it was ok. I'll be having a colonoscopy this year. :peekaboo: I've got an appointment for a consultation in three weeks. I'll have to see if Chris will be able to drive me the day of the actual test.

And that's all.

Cayla, it sounds like the kids are settling in good at their new home. Good.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 am

Another long day. I'm pooped :sleep:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm
I take it that department chair is not a good job? :unsure:
You are correct. It's a horror-fest. I wouldn't wish the job on my worst enemy.
jgc wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 am
I'll be having a colonoscopy this year. :peekaboo:
I'll need mine in 2 more years. Let's hear it for clean colons! :dance:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 pm
Why are people so resistant to taking care of themselves?
Hmmm. I seem to remember you recently posting the following RJ classic:

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 pm
Cayla wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 am
Portion control, no sugars, and exercise.

And the question is: "What are three things that RJ is incapable of?"

:lol:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 am

GM.
I worry about the economy there,
it doesnt affect me as such....seeing as i have pieces of work and a son paying a small am mount rent....if i lose one piece of work, i have the rest...in 2018 i didnt have enough workand strugged to save, but last year i picked up 3 new jobs, so losing the evening job wont strand me in panic mode - and i have plenty of time to fix up a friday pm job or work on a new evening role with the agency, actually RJ L suggested i talk to the nursery school management about that - but i will wait to see what happens first.
today is 2 hrs work, plot trot, 1.5 hours work.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

The weekend draws ever nearer....
jgc wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 am
Howdy! Howdy!
Howdy! :hello:
I'll be having a colonoscopy this year. :peekaboo: I've got an appointment for a consultation in three weeks. I'll have to see if Chris will be able to drive me the day of the actual test.
Yeah, they won't schedule a colonoscopy if you don't have a ride-- they won't even let you call a cab. Luckily, I've been able to get away with Cologuard for the past few years.
scottydog wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 am
Hmmm. I seem to remember you recently posting the following RJ classic:
Well, in those cases taking care of yourself is more painful. There are rewards to being able to see. :lol:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 am
actually RJ L suggested i talk to the nursery school management about that - but i will wait to see what happens first.
Yeah, there's still a couple of months to go, which is good.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Happy Thursday, all :hello:

I've got to get writing done today :writing:
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 am
if i lose one piece of work, i have the rest...in 2018 i didnt have enough workand strugged to save, but last year i picked up 3 new jobs, so losing the evening job wont strand me in panic mode
I'm impressed at how clever and resourceful you are when it comes to finding work. I have a friend here who is also genius at finding small jobs that all add up. He drive an Uber, does advertising for restaurants, sells dog-tags, etc.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 am
Well, in those cases taking care of yourself is more painful. There are rewards to being able to see. :lol:
My theory is that the Hutchins are missing a self-care gene. Maybe you're missing only half that gene and your bother is missing several.

Why do you suppose he doesn't want to see better? Unless it's a money issue, it doesn't make any sense to choose to be nearly blind.
Last edited by scottydog on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Good morning, compatriots. :coffee:

Hi, jgc! :hello:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:08 pm

🔺Hi Lupy!

Another day, another disaster. I was running the dishwasher and the garbage disposal is leaking like crazy. As the water is draining, it goes through the disposer - I guess. I spent a half hour - or more - mopping up under the sink. And almost a whole roll of paper towels.

Waiting for maintenance now.

And I'm done for the day.

Oh, and it happened in the middle of lunch. :mellow:

There you have my daily :curses:
Imagine by John Lennon

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 pm

Mike, the maintenance guy, just spent 2 hours replacing the garbage disposal and fixing a pipe. E-freaking-gad!

Hope you are had a good day.
Imagine by John Lennon

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:36 pm

^I sympathize. My garbage disposal decided to give out on New Year's Day last year. Woke up to a flooded kitchen.

Meanwhile, I managed to get my aunt to agree to an eye exam! :geek: I made the appointment for her, but it's done.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 am

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I think you might be able to buy groceries through Amazon now, like anything else. They used to have a separate grocery service, but it seems to be integrated now. I might be able to order some Quisp. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:50 pm
My theory is that the Hutchins are missing a self-care gene. Maybe you're missing only half that gene and your bother is missing several.
We're definitely a few genes short of a chromosome.
Why do you suppose he doesn't want to see better? Unless it's a money issue, it doesn't make any sense to choose to be nearly blind.
I've already explained to him that he can get a free eye exam with his insurance. My theory is that he's nuts.
jgc wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 pm
Mike, the maintenance guy, just spent 2 hours replacing the garbage disposal and fixing a pipe. E-freaking-gad!
Well, that's good. When I read the previous post, I figured it would take them a month to show up like it did with the light bulb. :idea:
Lupine wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:36 pm
Meanwhile, I managed to get my aunt to agree to an eye exam! :geek: I made the appointment for her, but it's done.
Great, we're making progress. :lol:

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:25 am

I got some writing done but not nearly as much as I needed to. I may have to ask the publisher for a deadline extension. I hate doing that. :no:
jgc wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 pm
Yikes, that's a big inconvenience. I'm glad it's fixed. :yes:
Lupine wrote:
My garbage disposal decided to give out on New Year's Day last year. Woke up to a flooded kitchen.
What a way to begin the new year. Did the flood do any damage?
Lupine wrote:
Good. I wonder if she'll find some excuse to skip the exam. I hope not.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 am
I've already explained to him that he can get a free eye exam with his insurance. My theory is that he's nuts.
It may be fear. I have a couple of friends who will never see a doctor for a checkup because they're afraid the doctor will find something :conf:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:22 am

GM. jgc - we might have to call the plumber out again here.....i am getting fed up of wasting my fridays.
'm impressed at how clever and resourceful you are when it comes to finding work.
its mostly when i meet people in the village and stop to chat OR people i know through L or my father....they mention they need a cleaner, gardener, carer, pet sitter, whatever - or they find out i do those things and think they might ben efit from one... P&J is because \i spoke to P when he walked his dogs, J is B's nephew, L2 is L&B's neighbor, P@D waas met out walking her dogs, S knew my parents...also some of m y jobs morph into other roles. for eg, i was hired as a cleaner by P&J - but J needed some care work done and now she is in hospita P also gets me to dog-sit twice a week...B's J currently hres me as a cleaner - but when he gets sick/old will probabaly have me asa wheelchair chaafeur/carer too.....P@D may need care work and dog sitting in the future too.... i think the agency cleaning job is/was the only one that stayed clener.
today - phine plumber, 1h dogs, plumber.........1.5h cleaning
no its not th hot water this tie - now the bathroom drains blocked and the water isnt running thru fast enough so backs u in the sink/shower. :no:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 am

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

It's a long weekend. I love it when they sneak up on me like that. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:25 am
It may be fear. I have a couple of friends who will never see a doctor for a checkup because they're afraid the doctor will find something :conf:
Since all he does when he's not working is sit in his car chain smoking and drinking, I'm sure he's afraid and probably has reason to be.
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:22 am
its mostly when i meet people in the village and stop to chat OR people i know through L or my father....they mention they need a cleaner, gardener, carer, pet sitter, whatever - or they find out i do those things and think they might ben efit from one... P&J is because \i spoke to P when he walked his dogs, J is B's nephew, L2 is L&B's neighbor, P@D waas met out walking her dogs, S knew my parents...also some of m y jobs morph into other roles. for eg, i was hired as a cleaner by P&J - but J needed some care work done and now she is in hospita P also gets me to dog-sit twice a week...B's J currently hres me as a cleaner - but when he gets sick/old will probabaly have me asa wheelchair chaafeur/carer too.....P@D may need care work and dog sitting in the future too....
That's some great networking. :D
no its not th hot water this tie - now the bathroom drains blocked and the water isnt running thru fast enough so backs u in the sink/shower. :no:
What a nuisance. Maybe it just needs some Drano or something.

scottydog
Senator
Senator

Post by scottydog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Today I have a few meetings and I must get cracking on this writing business :writing:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:22 am
its mostly when i meet people in the village and stop to chat OR people i know through L or my father...
I was wondering whether you are an introvert or an extravert. I think this proves you are the latter. :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 am
Since all he does when he's not working is sit in his car chain smoking and drinking, I'm sure he's afraid and probably has reason to be.
This makes me very, very sad :sob: