Check-In 102: 2020 in Hindsight.

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In 102: 2020 in Hindsight.

Post by Cayla » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Good evening!

No excuse for not posting here. Just laziness. I've been sleeping in during the mornings. In the evenings, I have been binge-watching The Haunting of Hill House.

I'm getting ready to go to bible study. There is only two more left, but lent starts up, so I will see Pastor 3 days per week, instead of 2. :veryhappy:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 pm

^I'm not sure if I should :yes: or :warn:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:48 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

emma is ramping up to move to her new place. She's going to have a busy month.
scottydog wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 pm
The Wife and I have decided to try intermittent fasting for 2 months, as an experiment
That's the alien DNA trying to weaken you. Fight it! :warn:
We've chosen 10am to 6pm as our eating time.
So you'll be chowing down on spuckies while you teach your classes. :lol:
Hmmm. Do you know if anyone's ever made a horror movie about Cupid turning into a homocidal maniac?
Good question. If I can find any, it will be a good theme for Sea Creature Lounge this Saturday.
Cayla wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:25 pm
No excuse for not posting here. Just laziness.
That's actually my favorite excuse-- but not for missing ReNext. :lol:
In the evenings, I have been binge-watching The Haunting of Hill House.
That's on my list for when I finish Stranger Things.

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:17 am

Cayla wrote:
I will see Pastor 3 days per week, instead of 2. :veryhappy:
So are you and Pastor going to hook up any time soon? Or is that not likely to ever happen? What's your prediction?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:48 pm
emma is ramping up to move to her new place. She's going to have a busy month.
I hope she's getting some help. Moving is hard enough work when you're able-bodied.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:48 pm
So you'll be chowing down on spuckies while you teach your classes. :lol:
Well, now that you mention it... :lol: With only an 8-hour window for eating, I do feel some pressure to eat while I can. The clock is ticking....

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:23 am

GM.
Well, you can always quit later if it doesn't work out, and make a little money in the meantime.
that was the intended plan - work thru summer then quit. however the jobs already gone to another cleaner.
today = 3 workshifts totally 4.5 hours.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Bad news: The guy who bought emma's house backed out, after all the paperwork was signed. Now she's back to square one. :no:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:23 am
that was the intended plan - work thru summer then quit. however the jobs already gone to another cleaner.
Aw, that's too bad. I'm sure something better will come along, though.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am

Happy Friday, all :hello:

Today's a semi-busy day. Just a few meetings but I do have a couple of conference abstracts to write up. :writing:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 am
Bad news: The guy who bought emma's house backed out, after all the paperwork was signed. Now she's back to square one. :no:
You cannot be serious. Arrghhh. Poor emma. Usually there are consequences for backing out -- maybe emma will benefit in some way.

Hope y'all have a great day :arty:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Cayla wrote:
Good evening!

No excuse for not posting here. Just laziness.
That's me. :shrug:

Not much going on here, just the usual.

And today is Sci-fi Day. I'll have to check out the party. ☺️

Well, one thing: the HVAC isn't working. ☹️ I put in a maintenance request. Hope it doesn't take as long as my kitchen light....

Hope you all have a good day and a nice weekend. 👍
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Happy SciFi Day, everyone! :rocket:

Doing some laundry today. Probably other odds'n ends. :alien:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 am
That's weird. :conf: From what I just read unless there was a contingency she might be able to keep some of the money.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Geeze. Emma reminds me of me. Ya know: If it weren't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck. :unsure:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:25 pm

I had a nice surprise of a large chunk of extra $$ with my paycheck. Thank you Dr.'s wife! I took some of it to buy each of my girls at work a dozen roses, and breakfast. It made them cry. They deserve to get something nice.

Tonight, my plans are Texas Road House take out, the last episode of The Haunting of Hill House, and a movie. I'm thinking either Knives Out or John Wick 3.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

The weekend is here. I'm done shopping for my Mother and Nephew's birthdays. What am I forgetting? :unsure:
scottydog wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am
You cannot be serious. Arrghhh. Poor emma. Usually there are consequences for backing out -- maybe emma will benefit in some way.
Arrghhh is exactly what I said. I hope she can benefit, because she will also lose the place that she was going to move to if they don't find a replacement buyer quickly.
jgc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:11 pm
And today is Sci-fi Day. I'll have to check out the party. ☺️
Yeah! :dance:
Well, one thing: the HVAC isn't working. ☹️ I put in a maintenance request. Hope it doesn't take as long as my kitchen light....
I think they were pretty quick with the garbage disposal. I'm adding your HVAC to the Broken Things Thread.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:54 pm
That's weird. :conf: From what I just read unless there was a contingency she might be able to keep some of the money.
She said there is a penalty, but we don't know the details yet.
jgc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm
Geeze. Emma reminds me of me. Ya know: If it weren't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck. :unsure:
I know. :hug: I wish I could figure out how to give people better luck.
Cayla wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:25 pm
I had a nice surprise of a large chunk of extra $$ with my paycheck.
Nice surprise indeed. :twocents:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:32 am

I finally had a chance to see the movie Parasite tonight. It was definitely worthy of winning an Oscar last week for Best Picture. It was a bit darker than I thought it would be, but dark in a very cool & creative way.
Cayla wrote:
I had a nice surprise of a large chunk of extra $$ with my paycheck.
Wow! Maybe that large chunk of cash can buy a large chunk of chocolate :chocolate_bar:
Cayla wrote:
I took some of it to buy each of my girls at work a dozen roses, and breakfast. It made them cry.
Awww! That's so kind of you! You are a hero :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 pm
The weekend is here. I'm done shopping for my Mother and Nephew's birthdays. What am I forgetting? :unsure:
Excellent. What did you get them? Oh, if you can, let me know if your mom's birdseed is attracting good birds! :bird:
jgc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm
If it weren't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck. :unsure:
That unfortunately does often seem to be the case for you and emma. You both deserve better.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I wish I could figure out how to give people better luck.
Figure that out and you'd have a great Twilight Zone episode, because that good luck would come with a price. In fact, isn't there already a TZ episode like that?

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 am

GM.
I wish I could figure out how to give people better luck.
its karma n ot luck, so there is a way....thats the good news, the bad news is that it takes a stack of Buddhist literature and work out how to negate bad karma and increase good karma....unless you know someone who already knows and can teach you....but it still takes time and effort.
looks like Emma and jgc have had worse run of it than Cayla!!!
wet n windy dennis turns up to bugger up our weekend today - i wpder if we will ever have a sunny dry windfree weekend agin...
either the plumber fixes the leky pipe - or i visit J in hospital - or i hole up with a book and stove.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:01 am

I love when I wake up thinking it's Friday and it turns out to be Saturday. :yes:
scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:32 am
Excellent. What did you get them?
I got my Mother the next volume in the Dragnet DVD series and a book about Frasier. I got my Nephew an Airplane! DVD, a collection of Bizarro cartoons, and Greatest Hits of the Zombies.
Oh, if you can, let me know if your mom's birdseed is attracting good birds! :bird:
I'm going to bet that it hasn't been put out in the feeder yet, so I set myself a reminder to do it myself.
Figure that out and you'd have a great Twilight Zone episode, because that good luck would come with a price. In fact, isn't there already a TZ episode like that?
Probably, but I don't remember. I suppose the notion would be that the good luck is a finite quantity and would have to be taken from somebody else, but you don't get to choose who that is.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 am
its karma n ot luck, so there is a way....thats the good news, the bad news is that it takes a stack of Buddhist literature and work out how to negate bad karma and increase good karma....unless you know someone who already knows and can teach you....but it still takes time and effort.
What sort of things does it involve?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:06 pm

Happy Saturday, all :hello:

It's tim and gym day - coffee with my buddy Tim followed by exercise at the gym. The caffeine actually gives me the energy to workout. Tonight is the annual Valentines Day dance, which should be fun.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 am
Hmmm... I need to study this, as I'm not sure I understand. Some of the bad things that have happened in my life were no doubt due to my bad decision-making, but other bad things were just due to me being in the wrong place at the wrong time -- something we'd call bad luck. Are you saying those latter bad things were not bad luck but were the universe paying me back for things I've done wrong in this life or a past life?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:01 am
I suppose the notion would be that the good luck is a finite quantity and would have to be taken from somebody else, but you don't get to choose who that is.
That's actually a very cool premise. I'm envisioning a hypothetical professor who hates his three stepkids and thinks he's discovered a way to increase their bad luck. Sure enough, they suffer a string of bad luck, but for the universe to maintain the The Luck Equilibrium, someone else has to experience good luck. The professor thinks it will be him but it turns out to be Donald Trump who experiences good luck, which means the world comes to an end. :unsure:
RJDiogenes wrote:
I got my Mother the next volume in the Dragnet DVD series and a book about Frasier.
Nice! You're a good gift-giver. I adore Frasier, so I should get that book for myself.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I'm going to bet that it hasn't been put out in the feeder yet, so I set myself a reminder to do it myself.
Let us know if alien mice have broken into the bag of birdseed. :alien:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Another day. :yawn:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:54 pm
She said there is a penalty, but we don't know the details yet.
Wonder what caused them to back out.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I love when I wake up thinking it's Friday and it turns out to be Saturday. :yes:
Unless you wake up and realize that you can't remember Friday. :unsure:
scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:06 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
I suppose the notion would be that the good luck is a finite quantity and would have to be taken from somebody else, but you don't get to choose who that is.
That's actually a very cool premise. I'm envisioning a hypothetical professor who hates his three stepkids and thinks he's discovered a way to increase their bad luck. Sure enough, they suffer a string of bad luck, but for the universe to maintain the The Luck Equilibrium, someone else has to experience good luck. The professor thinks it will be him but it turns out to be Donald Trump who experiences good luck, which means the world comes to an end. :unsure:
More story ideas! :yes:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Good morning!

It’s finally painting day! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully, I can begin moving next weekend, and finish 2 weeks after. I have a busy weekend in between. I hope to file paperwork with the court next week.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Good afternoon, everyone. :hello:

I bought a bunch of boxes at the storage place last week, specifically to pack DVDs. Somehow I thought I could get two in my trunk, but I was barely able to squeeze in one.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:06 pm
Or the story could be set in 2016 and end on election eve. :lol:
Nice! You're a good gift-giver.
Figuring out gifts is agony for me. :lol:
I adore Frasier, so I should get that book for myself.
She loves that show. She made me watch one that she recorded today.
Let us know if alien mice have broken into the bag of birdseed. :alien:
Luckily there have been no signs of mice as yet.
Lupine wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 pm
Wonder what caused them to back out.
She said she doesn't know. :shrug:
Unless you wake up and realize that you can't remember Friday. :unsure:
Any weekday that I can't remember is a good one. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:09 pm
It’s finally painting day! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
That's March down there. :yes:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:01 pm

Today was a good day, pretty restful overall. Now we're about to head to the V-day dance with a live band and lots of goodies to eat.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:49 pm
Somehow I thought I could get two in my trunk, but I was barely able to squeeze in one.
You fell victim to the phenomenon of spatial optimism. It's why I believe my stomach can accommodate an entire bag of Chips Ahoy cookies when really there's only room for ten cookies.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Or the story could be set in 2016 and end on election eve. :lol:
Perfect. Then as a postscript, I'm given a chance of either undoing the stepkids' bad luck or Trump's good luck. Sorry planet Earth, the choice would be an easy one for me :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Luckily there have been no signs of mice as yet.
Uh oh. Nothing is more ominous than the appearance of all is well. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
She loves that show. She made me watch one that she recorded today.
I'm envisioning her tying you to a chair and forcing you to watch the show.
Cayla wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:09 pm
It’s finally painting day! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
It's great to see you happy and excited. The future is going to be so kind to you, Cayla. :dance:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 pm
More story ideas! :yes:
We need to somehow integrate the alien mice story with the finite nature of luck story.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:39 am

GM.
What sort of things does it involve?
it depends on what karma you hve and wht caused it, how your intentions towards it sre, why you want to fix it, each individual is unique.
I need to study this, as I'm not sure I understand. Some of the bad things that have happened in my life were no doubt due to my bad decision-making, but other bad things were just due to me being in the wrong place at the wrong time -- something we'd call bad luck. Are you saying those latter bad things were not bad luck but were the universe paying me back for things I've done wrong in this life or a past life?
if you want to study it - try course 5 - though one should do the first four first.... https://www.asianclassicsinstitute.org/ ... on-courses
but karma is what caused you to make those wrong choices -any choices. do you not wonder why you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, rather than just accept that it happened that way? wouldnt you rather be able to learn how to be in right places at the right time? & no its not the universe - its YOU! its not your intention obviously to be at the wrong pace/wrong time - but you were so because YOUR karma lead you there.
i will have to look on my bookshelf and see if i can find an easy basic guide, but to fully understand it i took that course many years ago and aced it - well, th only mark i didnt get right was a monks name or date of the source - but the actual topic i aced. the western view of karma being luck or fate is wrong, very wrong - we created and continue to create our individul karma -good, neutral and bad - with every thought, word, deed.....its simple to offer guidance to take a few steps in the right direction - but each indidivudal has their own personal karma and a wise teacher shoud be sort to help with a specific problem area. i am a beginner myself - i understand the concept completely - and to assist in general i could do - but for specific matters you would n eed someone more advanced than myself. i understand my own karma well enough to predict m y own death date and my next life basics based on my current path - but...

yesterday the plumber said hes coming next week - so i went to visit J. i didnt do mnuch else as the wind and rain hd begun nd dennis continues to make me stay home rather than enjoy a long hike with L or energetic dig down the plot...wet n windy goes on....and on.....a nd on. :( i think i may bake a hazlenut-onion loaf and a chocolate cake and roast some veggies ad a vegan pie, do a bunch of spring cleaning and curl up with a gow/book. i cant it on my butt all day - must do some work first!!

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:31 am

Hmm, that reminds me of a popular song by Reinhard Mey. In that song he - in the person of a plumber- describes how one Whitsun morning a water pipe breaks and the customer tries to get him to come. Sure, he says, I'll be right over.
On a foggy november day he sends his first estimate of costs while the customer has to dive into his basement and climb the roof to sleep because the plumber won't move a finger before June. Mr Mey concludes (and recommends to all his listeners looking for a career change) that plumber is the best profession of all.

That sucks about Emma's house :( I would have thought that in California houses are very much sought after. While I can understand that property in LA is difficult to sell because it's so expensive, I puzzles me that in the outskirts or in the country it'd be a problem to find a buyer, especially with so many people wanting to live in California. Are the Americans still so shocked from the finance skandal some 15 years ago that they distrust real estate transactions? Particularly in these times of economical crisis a house is the most secure investment.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am

Today I pick up my new glasses. I'm also going to get a new iPhone. Yesterday, my screen went black and unresponsive, I got a weird graphic indicating a dead battery, even though it was at 100%, and then it rebooted itself with an Apple logo about three times its normal size. It's been fine since, but it's about seven years old. I can't afford to be out of touch, between my elderly Mother and emma.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:01 pm
You fell victim to the phenomenon of spatial optimism. It's why I believe my stomach can accommodate an entire bag of Chips Ahoy cookies when really there's only room for ten cookies.
There's this phenomenon that I can't remember the name of, where young kids can't distinguish size differences. It's why they can imagine their Teddy Bear riding in their Matchbox car. I think I still have that. :lol:
Perfect. Then as a postscript, I'm given a chance of either undoing the stepkids' bad luck or Trump's good luck. Sorry planet Earth, the choice would be an easy one for me :lol:
That's definitely an EC Comics-style story. :lol:
Uh oh. Nothing is more ominous than the appearance of all is well. :no:
It's the calm before the storm troopers.
I'm envisioning her tying you to a chair and forcing you to watch the show.
Tied with promises of tea and brownies, yes.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:39 am
it depends on what karma you hve and wht caused it, how your intentions towards it sre, why you want to fix it, each individual is unique.
I need to be ably to buy Karma gift certificates for jgc and emma.
but karma is what caused you to make those wrong choices -any choices. do you not wonder why you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, rather than just accept that it happened that way?
I think I have bipolar Karma. :lol:
huggle wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:31 am
That sucks about Emma's house :( I would have thought that in California houses are very much sought after. While I can understand that property in LA is difficult to sell because it's so expensive, I puzzles me that in the outskirts or in the country it'd be a problem to find a buyer, especially with so many people wanting to live in California. Are the Americans still so shocked from the finance skandal some 15 years ago that they distrust real estate transactions? Particularly in these times of economical crisis a house is the most secure investment.
I don't understand it either. There's really no problem with the real estate market at the moment. She's got a really nice little house in a gated retirement community, and she's not asking a lot. In fact, it's a very reasonable price.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Happy Sunday, all :hello:

After church I'll meet up with my movie review buddy Greg. Other than that, not much happening.
Madeliaette wrote:
try course 5 - though one should do the first four first.... https://www.asianclassicsinstitute.org/ ... on-courses
but karma is what caused you to make those wrong choices -any choices.
Sounds like Karma is really dependent on one's motivations for behavior. That's fascinating. I'll try course 5, thank you.
Madeliaette wrote:
we created and continue to create our individul karma -good, neutral and bad - with every thought, word, deed.....
I really believe this to be true.
huggle wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:31 am
I would have thought that in California houses are very much sought after. While I can understand that property in LA is difficult to sell because it's so expensive, I puzzles me that in the outskirts or in the country it'd be a problem to find a buyer, especially with so many people wanting to live in California.
Not sure that many people want to live in California. Like any other place, there are pros and cons to living there.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am
I'm also going to get a new iPhone. ...I can't afford to be out of touch, between my elderly Mother and emma.
Oh no, that's another big expense. I'm sorry to hear this. Another thing to add to the broken things thread :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am
I need to be ably to buy Karma gift certificates for jgc and emma.
Not to mention Cayla. Heck, get the Karma bulk discount and pass them out to everyone :lol:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Good morning!

Athena’s new room looks great! She is all moved in. She helped me prime the walls in her old bedroom, last night. We have to cover hot pink. No, I do not want a hot pink bedroom. She did a great job for a 9-year-old painting for the first time. Today, Ron will finish painting my new room. After, I will bring down some bins and boxes from the third floor storage.

My other plans today are church, laundry, and grocery shopping. I’m going to be tired from this weekend.