Check-In 103: Lawrencium, Indian emergency

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Re: Check-In 103: Lawrencium, Indian emergency

Post by Madeliaette » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:49 pm

sucessfull day so far.. did m y 2 hours dog care/cleaning job - then hopped down the lane to pay by contactless for an order i phned in this morning for 10 bags mushroom compost - which will be dumped outside my house hopefully this afternoon. i was going to order it next month - but under the current conditions....thought it best to get my order in asap.just having lunch - then ill phone J to cheer her up if i ca n, head down the plot for my daily exercise...weekly shop can be done tommorrow...

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

^ :lol:

Good morning, all. :house:

No special plans for today other than putting some things in the mail. :mailbox:
scottydog wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 pm
Lupine wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:19 pm
Regardless my aunt changed her mind and I went into the market to get stuff.
How old is your Aunt? My 87-yr-old mother-in-law doesn't want to stay home, claiming that she's too old to worry about dying :lol:
She's 78 now.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

My long weekend is here at last. :feelinggood:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:30 am
I'll take a walk with my friend Mike today. You're right, Maddie -- if two people are walking together, how does anyone know whether they live together or not?
They have ways of making you talk.
Here in Richmond, most grocery stories have "elderly only" hours, usually the first hour that the store is open in the mornings. It's a great idea.
Stop & Shop has been doing that, and my Mother's been going. Whole Foods started doing it too. Come to think of it, they may be prioritizing deliveries. emma's first delivery was two hours late, but every one after that has been there within ten minutes of the start of the window, so they may have flagged her as elderly or disabled.
Cayla wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 am
On Monday, Kelly and Aaron were worried about Brutus. He refused to come downstairs and out of my room. When I went to get ready for bed that night, I found several of Athena's stuffed animals mixed in with his toys on my bed. He was busy sneaking the stuffed animals out of her room all day. Labs are shady like that. :lol:
Oh, that's hilarious. :lol: Did you tell her?
Madeliaette wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:49 pm
then hopped down the lane to pay by contactless for an order i phned in this morning for 10 bags mushroom compost -
I never heard of mushroom compost. :mushroom:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 pm

:hello:

I think I'll try the elderly shopping hour at Walmart Tuesday. I don't need a lot, but I'm out of bread, and only have 2 garbage bags left. Plus, I want some onions and peppers. And coffee mate. And lo-dose aspirin.

Although, I'm even nervous about that (using the elderly shopping hour). The board of selectmen sent out a statement for everyone in my category to "Please Stay Home!" Maybe I'm dense, but I can't find how to get a delivery from Walmart. Although, they do have a pick-up service. So there's that. I'll check into that.

Ok, I'm going to stop talking about this now, as my anxiety is skyrocketing.

I hope you all have a nice evening.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm

jgc wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 pm
I can't find how to get a delivery from Walmart. Although, they do have a pick-up service. So there's that. I'll check into that.
This page has information about delivery and pick up. It probably won't be as quick as it usually is, though.
Ok, I'm going to stop talking about this now, as my anxiety is skyrocketing.
I'm sorry you're so upset. We'll get through it. :hug:

Just remember that most people who are exposed to the virus don't acquire it, most people who acquire it don't show symptoms, most people who show symptoms only show mild symptoms, and most people with serious symptoms recover.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 pm

Wow. Heck of a day as we're pressed to get a release pushed to production tomorrow. I ran the ringer organizing people, updating documentation, and direction efforts. :as: :panic: Once I was free from everyone around 4:30, I :stein: while I finished up documents and schedules for tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the oral surgeon's office contacted me today not only to give instructions for COVID-19 precautions but also to inform me that the surgery scheduled ahead of mine had been canceled. So, were I willing, I would be bumped up from 10:45 check-in to 9:15 check-in. That's fine with me as I can get this done sooner. I thought I was going to be the first person of the day; however, I will be #2 :no:

So, next time you see me may not be until this weekend -- after which I will be a pumpkin (smile-wise).
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 am

Today was a good day. Mike and I did drive-thru Arby's and set up two lawn chairs outside at a park to eat and chat. This will be our routine until the apoalypse ends. Then tonight The Wife and I took a virtual dance lesson from our dance studio on zoom, and then we did a 30-minute dance party. It was nice to sort of be back in our routine :dance:
jgc wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 pm
I'm going to stop talking about this now, as my anxiety is skyrocketing.
Continue your binge-watching of The Walking Dead. Their apocalypse is worse than ours, which should put your mind at ease.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm
Just remember that most people who are exposed to the virus don't acquire it, most people who acquire it don't show symptoms, most people who show symptoms only show mild symptoms, and most people with serious symptoms recover.
Your reassuring words are appreciated, but they're not helping my need to catastrophize everything we're going through :lol:
Gary wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 pm
next time you see me may not be until this weekend -- after which I will be a pumpkin (smile-wise).
Isn't that sort of what happened to Cinderella's carriage at midnight? Anyway, good luck. I'm sure it will all go fine.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:48 am

Thank you, RJ, for the info. I'll go the app and see what I can see. :)
Imagine by John Lennon

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 am

jgc wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:48 am
Thank you, RJ, for the info. I'll go the app and see what I can see. :)
Good luck. Let me know if I can help. :yes:
Gary wrote:
So, next time you see me may not be until this weekend -- after which I will be a pumpkin (smile-wise).
I've been a pumpkin. It's not so bad. Good luck and hopefully we will see you soon.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 am
Your reassuring words are appreciated, but they're not helping my need to catastrophize everything we're going through :lol:
You should start a Doomsday Blog and monetize it. :lol:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:54 am

GM. HUGS jcg... mushroom compost is the stuff ushrooms are grown in - afterwards, the discarded soils are used as general compost and are very nutritious for plants both flowers and veg. every 2-3 years i cover my flower border a home and top up my straebrry beds - ant spare goes in my general poly tunnel usage/compost bin.
today i will either do my weekly shop or work the garden, then do my dog sitting job, then my daily exercise down the plot. J told me on the phone shes coming home today - i think its wishful thinking, but if not i might have extra work as a carer helping her husband cope. i will wait and see what happens there - i dont want to apply for a temp saturday job if i am going to be picking up more hours working locally anyway.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

It looks like it's going to be a nice day, so I have to decide if I want to go on a photo safari or just hunker in my bunker. I'm not sure where I want to go, anyway. Besides the store, that is.
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:54 am
mushroom compost is the stuff ushrooms are grown in - afterwards, the discarded soils are used as general compost and are very nutritious for plants both flowers and veg. every 2-3 years i cover my flower border a home and top up my straebrry beds - ant spare goes in my general poly tunnel usage/compost bin.
Cool. I never heard that before.
J told me on the phone shes coming home today - i think its wishful thinking
I hope she really gets to go home. I'd hate to see her disappointed again.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:21 am

Happy Friday, everyone :hello:

Today I have some teaching prep to do for Monday & Tuesday. Plus some emails/busywork to do. Today is my usual lunch with my coauthor George but our favorite diner is closed. So we may forego lunch and go outside for a walk instead. I may also venture out grocery shopping this morning :scared:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 am
You should start a Doomsday Blog and monetize it. :lol:
Hmmm... that might help me recoup my losses from the stock market :lol: In general, I'm not a purveyor of doom - I'm usually the source of it :devil:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:54 am
mushroom compost is the stuff ushrooms are grown in - afterwards, the discarded soils are used as general compost and are very nutritious for plants both flowers and veg. every 2-3 years i cover my flower border a home and top up my straebrry beds
I should try this. My daughter is into a healthy mushroom diet, bigtime. Funny how I hated shrooms as a kid but now I can't get enough of them.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 am
I have to decide if I want to go on a photo safari or just hunker in my bunker. I'm not sure where I want to go, anyway. Besides the store, that is.
I hope you can get out and walk and enjoy the fresh air & exercise. I may go down to a different spot along the River this afternoon to take some pics :yes:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 am

Good morning!

Yesterday, my day consisted of cleaning the main bathroom, vacuuming the second floor, and then doing outside chalk drawings on the sidewalk with Athena. She wrote inspirational messages on the sidewalk for people to read, and then wrote "Save the Toilet Paper" really large in the driveway, and had me draw rolls of toilet paper in white chalk. :lol: I wish I would have taken pictures. The overnight rain washed everything away.

Today is work, though I do not have much to do there, today.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 pm

Stop & Shop was in pretty good shape, except for paper towels and toilet paper, which were completely wiped out. Other areas were noticeably understocked, but they weren't out of anything that I could see. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get sugar, but they had plenty. The weirdest thing is that they have blue tape on the floor in the checkout lines to keep people six feet apart, and also plastic safety screens in front of the cashiers.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:21 am
I hope you can get out and walk and enjoy the fresh air & exercise.
Well, I got some fresh air and exercise walking across the parking lot. I parked way on the far side to maximize the experience. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 am
She wrote inspirational messages on the sidewalk for people to read, and then wrote "Save the Toilet Paper" really large in the driveway, and had me draw rolls of toilet paper in white chalk. :lol: I wish I would have taken pictures. The overnight rain washed everything away.
Aw, too bad. That would have been a cool thing to save.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Good morning, fellow bunker dwellers. :peekaboo:

Finishing up laundry and hope to hide out the rest of the day. One of dad's old friends showed up yesterday. He's talking of finally picking up a derelict motor home dad had let him store at the back of the property years ago. It will be nice to have that gone. I told him he could have some of dad's trucks if he'd just haul them away. They're old enough and in bad shape enough that I haven't even been able to give them away.
Gary wrote:
Good luck! :jack_o_lantern:
Cayla wrote:
Yesterday, my day consisted of cleaning the main bathroom, vacuuming the second floor, and then doing outside chalk drawings on the sidewalk with Athena. She wrote inspirational messages on the sidewalk for people to read, and then wrote "Save the Toilet Paper" really large in the driveway, and had me draw rolls of toilet paper in white chalk. :lol: I wish I would have taken pictures. The overnight rain washed everything away.
:lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 pm
Stop & Shop was in pretty good shape, except for paper towels and toilet paper, which were completely wiped out. Other areas were noticeably understocked, but they weren't out of anything that I could see. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get sugar, but they had plenty. The weirdest thing is that they have blue tape on the floor in the checkout lines to keep people six feet apart, and also plastic safety screens in front of the cashiers.
I've been seeing stuff like the plastic screens on the news. None out here yet. But the Post Office did have little barefoot decals on the floor telling people where to stand.

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 pm

:hello:

Thanks for the hugs, Maddy.

Well, this morning I went to the gas station. So, sue me. Cabin fever was worse than my anxiety. :lol:

I've got a few things that I can do around the apartment today. Some baking, maybe.

And that's all from Florida. Well, except the state has declared a major disaster. Well, what did they expect? With the spring breakers all over the place last week and the governor being wishy-washy instead of firm. A leader should be firm and commanding. This guy is neither.

Everyone have a good day. :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

Another quiet day of quarantine comes to an end. B)
Lupine wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm
I've been seeing stuff like the plastic screens on the news. None out here yet. But the Post Office did have little barefoot decals on the floor telling people where to stand.
That's cute. :lol:
jgc wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 pm
Well, this morning I went to the gas station. So, sue me. Cabin fever was worse than my anxiety. :lol:
Gas stations are about as safe as it gets.
And that's all from Florida. Well, except the state has declared a major disaster.
What does that mean, aside from closing beaches and stuff? Will it benefit you in any way?

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:51 pm

🔺 No clue what it means.

And one of the counties (can't remember which one) is not going to force their beaches to be closed over the weekend. And they wonder why Florida has so many cases of COVID-19. :no:

But I'm staying home (except for that 15 minutes I went to the gas station), and today I decided to make banana bread cause the last three bananas were (yuck!) just about gone by. It's cooling now. I'll report on success or failure later. :D
Imagine by John Lennon

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 am

Today was a pretty good day. I went on two long walks but didn't get a lick of work done. I'm a bit behind -- which brings us to the current toilet paper crisis. I found none in the two stores I went to today. :no:
Cayla wrote:
..."Save the Toilet Paper" really large in the driveway, and had me draw rolls of toilet paper in white chalk. :lol:
That's hilarious! :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 pm
Stop & Shop was in pretty good shape, except for paper towels and toilet paper, which were completely wiped out.
So are 10% of the population hoarding 90% of the toilet paper? I smell a conspiracy, and I want to get to the bottom of this.
Lupine wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm
... the Post Office did have little barefoot decals on the floor telling people where to stand.
I've heard the department stores are socially distancing their mannequins.... :veryhappy:

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:18 am

GM. well yesterday was chaotic - but i remained calm thruout. it began by being informed J was coming home that day by her husband - so we disucsedd the situation. he offered to pay me but i wasnt going to be needed as he was stayng home from work. from next week onward, it will depend on the situation of whether he is home or working, whether i go in as a cleaner/carer, or not. she has a care package in place, but 20 minute pop ins to throw food on her table and mop her butt are not what she needs as much as cheering up. if her husbands working, i will need to spend time doing a few odds and ends around the house - helping her to cheer up at the same time. i may be going in 2-3 times one day and then not for a few days and things like that til her needs are met. if the husband is home he does the cleaning, for example.
theni decided to go to my weekly shop instead of today - so phoned L to ask if she wanted me to pick her yp some bread as i was headed to a shop whose bread she likes. i go t the store t find a cue from back entry along to the side, all the way down the side and 3-4 in front. i joined the line - all of us satdning 2 meters apart and shuffling forwards when the line progressed. it took about 30-40 m inutes then i got in. no bread for L or flour/yeast for me - but i managed to grab organic spuds/parsnips/mushrooms/frozen mixed veg, some ginger ad garlic, and a few other items like packet olives. i spent the rest of the day either on the phone sorting out things with 3 people or in the garden/poly tunnel/plot. M y son had a meltdown and started a loud cursing and thumping in the afternoon - when he finally calmed down he emailed to tell me why. his internet/phone company are double billing him - he changed to a new account a year or so back and cosed his former account - only to find hes being blled for it - customer rvices (form overseas0 told him he had t sort it out in a store...and threatened debt gagency. he cant go to a store as they are all closed - and its not on a daily excursion allownace during lockdown and he works nights... i have advised him to write to the manager stating facts and dates to explain the situation and drafted a suggested letter for him...its all i can do...

today is empty - so i shall be in the garden/poly tunnel mostly - and pop to the plot for an hours official exercise - unless called upon as carer to J or for any reason by L.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I'm off for breakfast with Mom and to deliver cat food to Chloe.
jgc wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:51 pm
And one of the counties (can't remember which one) is not going to force their beaches to be closed over the weekend. And they wonder why Florida has so many cases of COVID-19. :no:
Too bad we can't just lock all the idiots in once they get there. :lol:
But I'm staying home (except for that 15 minutes I went to the gas station), and today I decided to make banana bread cause the last three bananas were (yuck!) just about gone by. It's cooling now. I'll report on success or failure later. :D
Sounds good. I love banana bread. :yes:
scottydog wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 am
So are 10% of the population hoarding 90% of the toilet paper? I smell a conspiracy, and I want to get to the bottom of this.
I'm surprised there aren't scalpers in the parking lot.
I've heard the department stores are socially distancing their mannequins.... :veryhappy:
That's great. Maybe they just came in the next morning and they were all social distancing-- it's a Twilight Zone sequel!
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:18 am
well yesterday was chaotic - but i remained calm thruout.
That's good. It's not always easy to do.
it began by being informed J was coming home that day by her husband
At last! So she's home now? She must have had a nice reunion with her dogs.
i may be going in 2-3 times one day and then not for a few days and things like that til her needs are met.
I'm sure she will appreciate that.
i go t the store t find a cue from back entry along to the side, all the way down the side and 3-4 in front. i joined the line - all of us satdning 2 meters apart
I guess with social distancing, lines aren't as long as they look.
it took about 30-40 m inutes then i got in. no bread for L or flour/yeast for me
Now that's frustrating. I wonder if you can use your phone to check availability of items before standing in line so long.
customer rvices (form overseas0 told him he had t sort it out in a store...and threatened debt gagency. he cant go to a store as they are all closed - and its not on a daily excursion allownace during lockdown and he works nights...
That's crazy. Is that the only time he called about it? He should try calling back, because a lot of times you get somebody more knowledgeable and cooperative on the next try.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:45 am

Happy Saturday, all :hello:

This morning I have a zoom call with my Australian friend, Olivia. You may recall she visited us this past Fall. She wants to return for 2 months this coming Fall but now those plans are up in the air due to this Apocalypse.

Then I'll go for a walk in Bryan Park with my friend Tim. He's the one who has just been diagnosed with cancer. I'll get caught up on what the treatment plan is for him.
Madeliaette wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:18 am
M y son had a meltdown and started a loud cursing and thumping in the afternoon - when he finally calmed down he emailed to tell me why. his internet/phone company are double billing him -
Glad you were able to calm him down and help him out. Sounds like you are helping a lot of people these days. Well done :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am
I'm off for breakfast with Mom and to deliver cat food to Chloe.
Speaking of pets, one of my Facebook friends is freaking out because when she takes her dog for a walk, people (including kids) are petting her dog. She's torn between allowing the petting to happen versus telling people to NOT pet the dog because germs could be transmitted.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 am
That's great. Maybe they just came in the next morning and they were all social distancing-- it's a Twilight Zone sequel!
Yes, exactly. And surgical masks start appearing on their faces. Or we wake up in the morning and our furniture has started socially distancing....

jgc
Senator
Senator

Post by jgc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 am

Morning. :hello:

To report on the banana bread: Meh. Apparently, when I copied the recipe, I neglected to write down the cooking temp or time. So I researched and got that figured out. And it could have used all three bananas (I only used 2). And it didn't need to be cooked for the whole 60 minutes. BUT, it is edible, so I'll keep it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing today. Plans are fluid. Cleaning? TWD? Still not sure. So in the meantime, I'm on my third read through is Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I'm on book three at the moment.

You all have a good day, now. :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:22 pm

Good morning!

jgc, my mom and grandmother would tell you to put butter on the banana bread, "It will be fine". :lol:

Madeliaette, did your son talk to a supervisor? If not, have him call, and ask for a supervisor.

scottydog, it is acceptable for your friend to tell people not to pet the dog.

I have no definitive plans for today. A trip to the store may be in order. I should pay some bills, to stay ahead for the month of April, while I have the $$. There is talk of watching It 2, alcohol, and board games for this evening.

I have a niece from Florida texting me, but I do not know which one of the 4 it is. :conf: I'm thinking it is one of the older 2. The two older nieces from Ohio have been texting with me, and Addie's 16 year old step sister, too. The girls are really missing me.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Good morning, all. :house:

Another quiet day ahead (hopefully).