Infirmary Thread #18: Keep Your Social Distance!

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Re: Infirmary Thread #18: Keep Your Social Distance!

Post by Cayla » Sat May 16, 2020 1:21 pm

My boss is writing an order for me and my office manager to have the Covid-19 antibody serum test on Monday. This is the first time I am excited about having my blood drawn. :lol:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Nice. I hope they're going to pay for it, too. I'd love to get an antibody test, even though they're not terribly accurate yet.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun May 17, 2020 12:15 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:16 pm
Nice. I hope they're going to pay for it, too. I'd love to get an antibody test, even though they're not terribly accurate yet.
In Ohio, it is free with a request from a healthcare provider. Otherwise, it is $119.00 at the lab next to my office.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Over here, the health insurance pays. But only if there is a serious reason for the test - for example if you apply for a job in a nursing home or hopital.
As the tests are so imprecise, we rarely use them. We don't even do mass tests for the virus unless in exceptional cases. for example in hospitals or nursery homes where someone got infected or in slaughterhouses where the staff is forced to work without a safety distance. There's one for poultry in my area with about 1000 employees. They had a few infections and to be safe they tested everyone. The result was hat some 50 people were infected without realizing it themselves. I daresay there's quite a lot of hidden infections all through the population. 5-6% as in that facility would have been the figure I'd have estimated before. However, people get very negligent of the distance rule and I expect the infection rate to rise to 10-12% within the next weeks.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun May 17, 2020 9:03 pm

There's a ton of asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic cases, which is both good news and bad news-- the good news is that if you get it, you're not likely to get very sick, but the bad news is that you can get it from people who don't look sick.

Here we only do titers if it will indicate immunity or document the need for a vaccine or booster, none of which applies to the Corona virus as yet.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Mon May 18, 2020 1:44 am

It's weird seeing only about half the people in Richmond wearing masks in the stores. I'm guessing that huggle is witnessing far more German people wearing masks. Our impression of Germans is that they are far more obedient to rules and also more collectively responsible people.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon May 18, 2020 10:35 am

I would say about 3/4 of the people in the suburbs are wearing masks in the stores, and !/2 are wearing them in the city of Cleveland stores.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Cayla wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:35 am
I would say about 3/4 of the people in the suburbs are wearing masks in the stores, and !/2 are wearing them in the city of Cleveland stores.
It's shocking, isn't it? The only thing I can think of is, maybe people just don't have access to masks? After all, I wouldn't have one if The Wife didn't have sewing skills.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm

In Lucerne about half the people here are wearing masks.
In the next town over, Apple Valley, I'd say it's most.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon May 18, 2020 9:51 pm

It seems like everyone around here does. People in the supermarket always have them. When I go out early in the morning to walk, I see lone joggers wearing them-- I don't know how they don't die.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Tue May 19, 2020 10:20 am

If the homemade masks are made of natural fabric, such as 100% cotton, then it is easy to breath through it.

I'm guessing the 1/4 suburbans, who do not wear masks here, are the ones who believe it is all a conspiracy and government control.

We are finally getting N95's at work. A patient, who works for a dentist, told us the Board of Health will give them to us for free, but we have to go through a ton of red tape for them.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 pm

My mask is a Three Stooges bandana from MeTV. Maybe that's why it suffocates me. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 am

I just wish the government would issue space suits for everyone. That way we could see people's faces.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Wed May 20, 2020 10:34 am

Well, I did not have Covid-19 back in January/February. My blood work showed that I do not have immunity. I don't know what the hell I had then, as it was pretty bad, but at least I know it wasn't this virus.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Wed May 20, 2020 2:55 pm

^Might have been just a bad flu.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Also, those tests still have a pretty high rate of false positives and negatives.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat May 23, 2020 1:34 am

The Wife's terrible poison ivy from 17 days ago is still healing. It looks so much better than it did 2 weeks ago. There's still a lot of red splotchy marks on her hands, but at least her hands look human again. Before, she qualified for a leper colony.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat May 23, 2020 11:46 am

While pulling weeds, I had a bad reaction to a weed that latched on to my arm. I don't know what it was, but I do know it wasn't hogweed. My arm immediately welted and turned red. It did not itch or burn. I applied hydrocortisone on it right away. It calmed it down, but by evening it became worse. I applied my hydrocortisone. The inflammation was mostly gone by morning. I still have light red marks, were the plant touched my skin. Very bizarre.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Everyone stay away from the weeds!

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm

One of my brothers said he was sick with Covid back in February, which is really something as I think in 56 years he's been sick a total of less than a dozen times. Pissed me off when we were kids as I'd be sick all the time and he'd laugh and brag how he never got sick. He was always strong as an ox, and I mean STRONG. These days, he walks with a limp due to blowing out a knee (not sure why). He looks like that older guy that someone would comment to another person, "He was in the Marine Corps. Don't piss him off, or he'll throw a car at you." And he does look like he could pick up a car.

Anyway, my neighbor owns a dialysis company and gifted me a couple of ND-95 masks. WOOT.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat May 23, 2020 4:07 pm

^How's your brother doing now?

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Yeah, I'm glad he survived.
scottydog wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:34 am
The Wife's terrible poison ivy from 17 days ago is still healing. It looks so much better than it did 2 weeks ago. There's still a lot of red splotchy marks on her hands, but at least her hands look human again. Before, she qualified for a leper colony.
Wow, that's taking a long time. Is there still any itchiness or anything?
Cayla wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:46 am
While pulling weeds, I had a bad reaction to a weed that latched on to my arm. I don't know what it was, but I do know it wasn't hogweed. My arm immediately welted and turned red. It did not itch or burn. I applied hydrocortisone on it right away. It calmed it down, but by evening it became worse. I applied my hydrocortisone. The inflammation was mostly gone by morning. I still have light red marks, were the plant touched my skin. Very bizarre.
That's an extreme reaction. Is there more of it? Maybe you can post a picture to get an identification.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sun May 24, 2020 12:32 am

Cayla wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:46 am
While pulling weeds, I had a bad reaction to a weed that latched on to my arm.
Oh wow. A deliberate attack by intelligent life. It sounds nasty. 1% Hydrocortizone is always my go-to skin issue medication of choice.
Gary wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm
my neighbor owns a dialysis company and gifted me a couple of ND-95 masks. WOOT.
That's cool. If they protect us better than the homemade variety, shouldn't we all have ND-95s someday soon?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:12 pm
Wow, that's taking a long time. Is there still any itchiness or anything?
It was a severe case. Seriously, it was so bad (blisters on top of blisters) that I almost insisted she see a doctor. It no longer itches but there still noticeable redness.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun May 24, 2020 12:41 am

scottydog wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:32 am
Gary wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm
my neighbor owns a dialysis company and gifted me a couple of ND-95 masks. WOOT.
That's cool. If they protect us better than the homemade variety, shouldn't we all have ND-95s someday soon?
The problem is the manufacturers are backlogged with orders, so front-line personnel get priority.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sun May 24, 2020 1:04 am

You would think that 2 and a half months into this pandemic, the backlogs would have been dealt with.