Infirmary Thread #18: Keep Your Social Distance!

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Infirmary Thread #18: Keep Your Social Distance!

Post by huggle » Sun May 24, 2020 6:09 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:03 pm
here we only do titers if it will indicate immunity or document the need for a vaccine or booster, none of which applies to the Corona virus as yet.
I read a rather unpleasant report last week: a hospital in Ratisbone examined approximately 70 nurses and doctors from another hospital who had all gotten infected and had survived. They found that only about 1/3 of them had antibodies. Even though the antibody test is famousely faulty, an error rate of 66% is unlikely. 70 specimens is of course not enough for a statistically safe research but nevertheless the study might show a certain trend. I think we have to take the possibility into consideration that indeed not everyone produces antibodies. Which means that they can get infected again any time.

Congrats at getting the 95s, Gary :) They do bear a certain risk, though: while they protect yourself from infection, the valve through which you breathe out releases your viruses right onto the next person. No prob if they wear a good mask, too, but if they have only homesewn ones they'll get infected.

I have a different prob atm: my anxiety fits are getting really nasty. I slept only 3 hours last night and signed up for an online therapy in the small hours. I do hope my new webcam will work on Thursday when I have my first appointment. I had quite a lot of trouble trying to install it and my headset.
Also, I am not quite familiar yet with the WIN 10 my new machine runs. It'll need some tweaking till it looks and acts familiar.
I don't mind (much) feeling afraid after I encountered a trigger. But I want that anxiety to stop after a reasonable time. A whole week is definitely not reasonable, nor is a whole night. 5 mins should be about normal, I'd say. It's mostly my late landlady's fault and I am sooo tempted to pee on her grave. But it'd be unfair to the flowers. I might print a pic of her and learn knife throwing or get myself a set of darts. Something utterly destructive might perhaps do the trick. Turning fear into aggression / going from defense into offense.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm

We finally got N95 masks and other PPE from the County Board of Health. I picked them up on Wednesday morning. The office was running out of surgical masks. If that happened, I would be unemployed. I'm glad we got the proper equipment, now.

Ron said he thought the weeds I was pulling were stinging nettle.

Edit: Nope. Not stinging nettle. The rash didn't even look the same.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun May 24, 2020 12:59 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:04 am
You would think that 2 and a half months into this pandemic, the backlogs would have been dealt with.
Demand is outstripping supply and the manufacturing supply chains have been disrupted. It's not a slam dunk fix.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun May 24, 2020 3:00 pm

huggle wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:09 am
I read a rather unpleasant report last week: a hospital in Ratisbone examined approximately 70 nurses and doctors from another hospital who had all gotten infected and had survived. They found that only about 1/3 of them had antibodies. Even though the antibody test is famousely faulty, an error rate of 66% is unlikely. 70 specimens is of course not enough for a statistically safe research but nevertheless the study might show a certain trend. I think we have to take the possibility into consideration that indeed not everyone produces antibodies. Which means that they can get infected again any time.
That's been the general impression, though I've seen people still insisting that a herd immunity is still likely. But if Ratisbone is correct this will go from pandemic to endemic.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun May 24, 2020 8:23 pm

huggle wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:09 am
It's consistent with some other reports of people becoming reinfected, including some sailors on a US Navy ship. It's still anecdotal, though, and there's no indication that a vaccine would be ineffective.
It's mostly my late landlady's fault and I am sooo tempted to pee on her grave. But it'd be unfair to the flowers. I might print a pic of her and learn knife throwing or get myself a set of darts. Something utterly destructive might perhaps do the trick. Turning fear into aggression / going from defense into offense.
It's terrible that that crazy lady is still haunting you. I hope this new therapist is helpful.
Lupine wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:00 pm
That's been the general impression, though I've seen people still insisting that a herd immunity is still likely. But if Ratisbone is correct this will go from pandemic to endemic.
Luckily it still has a relatively low acquisition rate, as well as low morbidity. Combined with a 33% immunity, it will be manageable.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon May 25, 2020 12:08 pm

I have 5 blisters on my feet from wearing new shoes yesterday.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Ouch. And you did a lot of walking, too.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Tue May 26, 2020 10:32 am

Blisters tend to heal quickly for me. I only notice one of them.