Infirmary Thread #18: Keep Your Social Distance!

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Infirmary Thread #18: Keep Your Social Distance!

Post by huggle » Sun May 24, 2020 6:09 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:03 pm
here we only do titers if it will indicate immunity or document the need for a vaccine or booster, none of which applies to the Corona virus as yet.
I read a rather unpleasant report last week: a hospital in Ratisbone examined approximately 70 nurses and doctors from another hospital who had all gotten infected and had survived. They found that only about 1/3 of them had antibodies. Even though the antibody test is famousely faulty, an error rate of 66% is unlikely. 70 specimens is of course not enough for a statistically safe research but nevertheless the study might show a certain trend. I think we have to take the possibility into consideration that indeed not everyone produces antibodies. Which means that they can get infected again any time.

Congrats at getting the 95s, Gary :) They do bear a certain risk, though: while they protect yourself from infection, the valve through which you breathe out releases your viruses right onto the next person. No prob if they wear a good mask, too, but if they have only homesewn ones they'll get infected.

I have a different prob atm: my anxiety fits are getting really nasty. I slept only 3 hours last night and signed up for an online therapy in the small hours. I do hope my new webcam will work on Thursday when I have my first appointment. I had quite a lot of trouble trying to install it and my headset.
Also, I am not quite familiar yet with the WIN 10 my new machine runs. It'll need some tweaking till it looks and acts familiar.
I don't mind (much) feeling afraid after I encountered a trigger. But I want that anxiety to stop after a reasonable time. A whole week is definitely not reasonable, nor is a whole night. 5 mins should be about normal, I'd say. It's mostly my late landlady's fault and I am sooo tempted to pee on her grave. But it'd be unfair to the flowers. I might print a pic of her and learn knife throwing or get myself a set of darts. Something utterly destructive might perhaps do the trick. Turning fear into aggression / going from defense into offense.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm

We finally got N95 masks and other PPE from the County Board of Health. I picked them up on Wednesday morning. The office was running out of surgical masks. If that happened, I would be unemployed. I'm glad we got the proper equipment, now.

Ron said he thought the weeds I was pulling were stinging nettle.

Edit: Nope. Not stinging nettle. The rash didn't even look the same.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sun May 24, 2020 12:59 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:04 am
You would think that 2 and a half months into this pandemic, the backlogs would have been dealt with.
Demand is outstripping supply and the manufacturing supply chains have been disrupted. It's not a slam dunk fix.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sun May 24, 2020 3:00 pm

huggle wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:09 am
I read a rather unpleasant report last week: a hospital in Ratisbone examined approximately 70 nurses and doctors from another hospital who had all gotten infected and had survived. They found that only about 1/3 of them had antibodies. Even though the antibody test is famousely faulty, an error rate of 66% is unlikely. 70 specimens is of course not enough for a statistically safe research but nevertheless the study might show a certain trend. I think we have to take the possibility into consideration that indeed not everyone produces antibodies. Which means that they can get infected again any time.
That's been the general impression, though I've seen people still insisting that a herd immunity is still likely. But if Ratisbone is correct this will go from pandemic to endemic.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sun May 24, 2020 8:23 pm

huggle wrote:
It's consistent with some other reports of people becoming reinfected, including some sailors on a US Navy ship. It's still anecdotal, though, and there's no indication that a vaccine would be ineffective.
It's mostly my late landlady's fault and I am sooo tempted to pee on her grave. But it'd be unfair to the flowers. I might print a pic of her and learn knife throwing or get myself a set of darts. Something utterly destructive might perhaps do the trick. Turning fear into aggression / going from defense into offense.
It's terrible that that crazy lady is still haunting you. I hope this new therapist is helpful.
Lupine wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:00 pm
That's been the general impression, though I've seen people still insisting that a herd immunity is still likely. But if Ratisbone is correct this will go from pandemic to endemic.
Luckily it still has a relatively low acquisition rate, as well as low morbidity. Combined with a 33% immunity, it will be manageable.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon May 25, 2020 12:08 pm

I have 5 blisters on my feet from wearing new shoes yesterday.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Ouch. And you did a lot of walking, too.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Tue May 26, 2020 10:32 am

Blisters tend to heal quickly for me. I only notice one of them.

Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:24 am

A whole month since anyone has posted in here? How is that possible?! I can't wrap my mind around this, it does not compute! :eek: :lol:

I've been dealing with a migraine the last 3 days, one that is sure to continue the next few days with the weather we are having.

I need to talk to my doctor about a different blood pressure/anxiety med. Metoprolol has given me weird dreams that continue into waking. Plus, odd flashes of images when I close my eyes. In the beginning it was kind of interesting, but now I am getting tired of finding big bugs and spiders crawling on me. :Ahhh: Never thought about that, but that is probably why I came up with the bug story that I told my friend. huh.

Had a second shot in my right ankle, this time the pain doctor instead of the RA doc. This pain doc knows what he is doing and I enjoyed watching him put the needle into my ankle. It was a really fine needle, maybe a 26 to 30 gauge? As he put it in, he curved it into position. It took two weeks for the pain to almost subside, but the swelling is finally gone and it only takes me two doses of migraine pills (what can I say? They help with pain) to get through the day. I was taking two doses, plus two doses of aspirin, occasionally I would take Celebrex and not take aspirin. That was just so I could stand the pain, none of that killed the pain. Though I should give the Celebrex credit, the first two times I took it, the pain went away.

My finger is getting better:
Nail damage.jpg
I had to keep trimming the nail. As it loosened, it kept developing little catches, those were not fun.
huggle wrote:
I have a different prob atm: my anxiety fits are getting really nasty. I slept only 3 hours last night and signed up for an online therapy in the small hours. I do hope my new webcam will work on Thursday when I have my first appointment. I had quite a lot of trouble trying to install it and my headset.
Also, I am not quite familiar yet with the WIN 10 my new machine runs. It'll need some tweaking till it looks and acts familiar.
I don't mind (much) feeling afraid after I encountered a trigger. But I want that anxiety to stop after a reasonable time. A whole week is definitely not reasonable, nor is a whole night. 5 mins should be about normal, I'd say. It's mostly my late landlady's fault and I am sooo tempted to pee on her grave. But it'd be unfair to the flowers. I might print a pic of her and learn knife throwing or get myself a set of darts. Something utterly destructive might perhaps do the trick. Turning fear into aggression / going from defense into offense.
I don't have many panic attacks anymore, but when I get one, it's all I can do to plant my feet and not freak out. I hate the feeling, no matter how long it lasts. Hope you get better.
Cayla wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm
Ron said he thought the weeds I was pulling were stinging nettle.

Edit: Nope. Not stinging nettle. The rash didn't even look the same.
Catch weed does that to you? Yikes, you really want to know the plants you handle. I call it sticky weed, but I have no problem handling it, other than the annoyance and occasional scratch. But Poison Ivy doesn't bother me either, yet my brother cannot touch the stuff. I swear he can't breathe around it, it affects him that much.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:08 am

^
I'm pretty sure that most people do not have a problem handling catch weed...I just had an allergic reaction to it.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Elara wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:24 am
A whole month since anyone has posted in here? How is that possible?!
You weren't here. :P

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:48 pm

Elara wrote:
A whole month since anyone has posted in here? How is that possible?! I can't wrap my mind around this, it does not compute! :eek: :lol:
We're in quarantine. :D
I've been dealing with a migraine the last 3 days, one that is sure to continue the next few days with the weather we are having.
Damn, it's like the migraines are always there.
I need to talk to my doctor about a different blood pressure/anxiety med. Metoprolol has given me weird dreams that continue into waking.
Can I have your leftovers?
My finger is getting better:
That's good. :yes:
I had to keep trimming the nail. As it loosened, it kept developing little catches, those were not fun.
Yeah, mine always do that, especially my toenails.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 am

I have a very sore achilles heel, my right one. I shouldn't have tried to go jogging last week - I'm too old for that sort of thing. I need to do exercises that are good for my ancient joints, but with the pandemic I don't trust swimming pools right now. And I doubt any are even open.
Lupine wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:01 pm
Elara wrote:
A whole month since anyone has posted in here? How is that possible?!
You weren't here. :P
:lol:
Elara wrote:
I gotta say, of all the injuries to yourself that you've described, photos of your damaged nail is the last one I would have expected to see. Maybe that's a good thing -- I might not be able to stomach images of some of things you've done to your body. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:06 pm

scottydog wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 am
I have a very sore achilles heel, my right one. I shouldn't have tried to go jogging last week - I'm too old for that sort of thing. I need to do exercises that are good for my ancient joints
Archery?

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 am

^^ I'm thinking swimming. But why not archery, too, while swimming?

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:12 pm

Swimming is probably better. Archery was just an Achilles' Heel joke. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:12 pm
Archery was just an Achilles' Heel joke. :lol:
Went right over my head :lol:

My achilles heel is feeling better. Not 100% but at least I'm not limping anymore.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 am

^
Stretch out you calf muscles...it relieves the pressure on the heel.

I had a sinus headache all day, yesterday, but it is gone this morning.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:02 pm

^^ I'm glad it's gone. Hopefully it will stay gone for the holiday.

I'm already starting to have aches and pains from all the hiking this morning. I haven't hiked that much in almost a year.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 am
Went right over my head :lol:
I guess I have pretty bad aim. :lol:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Cayla wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 am
^
Stretch out you calf muscles...it relieves the pressure on the heel.
You're exactly right. I don't do enough stretching.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:02 pm
I'm already starting to have aches and pains from all the hiking this morning. I haven't hiked that much in almost a year.
Welcome to your 60s :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:05 pm

I'm afraid that's true. :afraid:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:58 pm

For the past several days, Brutus has had tummy issues. He had two accidents in the house on Wednesday, while I was away. He also threw up, while I was at work, yesterday. The vet said to only feed him ground turkey and rice through the weekend. If he is not better by Sunday night, I will have to take him in for an appointment. The vet office said he may need antibiotics.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:16 pm

^He might have ate something he shouldn't have as well. Dogs are notorious for that. Hope he gets better.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:59 pm

Poor guy. I wonder if there's any correlation to his rescue of Lex. Could he have bitten an animal that Lex was fighting with or something?

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:23 am

Lupine, we think he has been sneaking into the basement, and eating the cat food. He seems better. RJ out yard is small....I would have heard the commotion. Lex doesn't have any signs of a scuffle on him. Bru's been having stomach issues, since Monday.