Check-In 104:MBTA in Scotland

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Check-In 104:MBTA in Scotland

Post by Lupine » Thu May 21, 2020 3:28 pm

^Woohoo! :party: :hug: :drum: :guitar: :stein:

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Need to hunt groceries today.
scottydog wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:52 am
My friend Nick, who is my age roughly (late 50s) had a heart attack 2 days ago. He's recovering and has a good prognosis. Tim, my other friend who's my age, is fighting cancer. I don't like being at an age when my contemporaries have failing health.
One of my high school friends already has congestive heart failure. :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:38 am
Uh oh. Maddie is time-stamped at her usual time, but there's no post. I guess her Internet troubles are not over. :no:
Maybe she needs a new provider?

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm

And Gimpy just caught a sparrow and was beating it against a rock. :eek:

People forget that they're mid-level predators.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 pm

Cayla wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:26 pm
I"M DIVORCED!!!!!!!!

:dance: :veryhappy: :party: :alien2: :totem: :bounce: :toast: :dancer: :drum: :thrasher: :clap: :silvester: :threegrins: :pinkelephant: :fish: :elephant2: :danceparty: :dogrun:
CONGRATS!!! I know that feeling. It takes some time to get accustomed to it, and sometimes you may feel worthless. The first year might be difficult, but believe me when I say the mental weight off of you, as time goes by, makes a difference.

Meanwhile, I signed the closing documents for the city house (yesterday) and all was good. I called to put in a stop order for the water, but the water departments said a move-in order had already been created for next Tuesday. The same happened with the electric, while I was able to put in a stop order for the gas service. I know I will get a slight refund on my deposit for the gas service.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Thu May 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Cayla wrote:
I"M DIVORCED!!!!!!!!
Congratulations! :party:
Gary wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 pm
Meanwhile, I signed the closing documents for the city house (yesterday) and all was good...
A second divorce! Congratulations to Gary, too! :party:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:
Cayla wrote:
I"M DIVORCED!!!!!!!!

:dance: :veryhappy: :party: :alien2: :totem: :bounce: :toast: :dancer: :drum: :thrasher: :clap: :silvester: :threegrins: :pinkelephant: :fish: :elephant2: :danceparty: :dogrun:
:bounce:

Time to revive the Party Thread! :party:
scottydog wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 am
That sounds great. You work hard and you deserve it :yes:
I'm not going to argue. :lol:
Gary wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 am
What's funny is he told me the problem's his wife has reported from the FAA is employees are day drinking, and that it's noticrable during online meetings. I wanted to ask how that's different than any other day at the FAA.
The Federal Aviation Alcoholics?
Cayla wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:44 am
Gary, I have wondered how many people, who are now working from home, day drink.
There's a reason that packies are considered essential businesses. :lol: It does make you wonder what this will do to the alcoholism rate, though.
Lupine wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:28 pm
Maybe she needs a new provider?
That may be coming soon, I think.
Lupine wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm

People forget that they're mid-level predators.
It's the sparrows who should remember. Nature is not very warm and fuzzy all the time.
Gary wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 pm
Meanwhile, I signed the closing documents for the city house (yesterday) and all was good. I called to put in a stop order for the water, but the water departments said a move-in order had already been created for next Tuesday. The same happened with the electric, while I was able to put in a stop order for the gas service. I know I will get a slight refund on my deposit for the gas service.
At last! Another reason to celebrate. :thumbsup:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri May 22, 2020 2:33 am

One of the evil stepkids decided to store a ton of her furniture on our screened porch. This time of year, when it's not hot yet, we like to use the porch. I've let The Wife know I'm not okay with this. :no:
Lupine wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm
From watching my bird feeder for many years, I'm amazed at how the larger birds prey on the smaller birds.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 pm
It does make you wonder what this will do to the alcoholism rate, though.
My shrink friends tell me that this pandemic is exacting a terrible toll on most people's mental health. Once we know the alcoholism rate, the figure will no doubt be sobering.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri May 22, 2020 8:32 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Once again, Maddie has been here, but no post. :no: I'll send her an email, but who knows if she can even reply to email?

And in just a few more hours, the long weekend will begin.
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:33 am
One of the evil stepkids decided to store a ton of her furniture on our screened porch. This time of year, when it's not hot yet, we like to use the porch. I've let The Wife know I'm not okay with this. :no:
Wow, that's pretty amazing. Good thing she didn't decide to put it in the bathroom.
From watching my bird feeder for many years, I'm amazed at how the larger birds prey on the smaller birds.
Bird-on-bird violence is especially tragic.
My shrink friends tell me that this pandemic is exacting a terrible toll on most people's mental health. Once we know the alcoholism rate, the figure will no doubt be sobering.
I'll drink to that.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 am

Happy Friday, everyone :hello:

I wonder how much Cayla had to drink last night while celebrating her newfound freedom. I'll drink to that :toast:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:32 am
Once again, Maddie has been here, but no post. :no: I'll send her an email, but who knows if she can even reply to email?
Damn. Not even sure smoke signals would reach her :no:
RJDiogenes wrote:
And in just a few more hours, the long weekend will begin.
Oh that's right, it's Memorial Day. The Wife and I might make a day trip to go hiking in the mountains which are just an hour west of here.

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am

Good morning!

scottydog, I only drank 1/2 of a black cherry White Claw. I do have to work, today. Tonight, is out weekly drinking night. As for mental health during this pandemic, it is taking it's toll on Kelly. She has been working from home, has only left the house twice, and is dealing with her brother's death with no opportunity to have some sort of closure. She hasn't even been outside. I'm trying to get her to either go for a walk, or go to the garden center to pick out some shrubs this weekend.

I hope Madeliaette can get her internet sorted out. With the pandemic, it is our main source of connection to the world. It has become a necessity.

Congrats of selling the house, Gary.

Ron and I cleared out the front flower bed, yesterday. He cut down and dug out all of the old shrubs. He also helped me clear an area along the back of the house for a new flower bed, where I will plant my blueberries. After our hearing, he went home to grab the chain saw, but it took him a couple of hours to do this. He is devastated, now. What did he think was going to happen? We were going to keep the status quo? Apparently he was in denial the whole time. As for me, I want to throw a huge party. I couldn't contain my excitement. It feels as if a huge weight has been lifted.
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 am

I keep forgetting what time of year this is. Every time I think about what I want to do "later in the year, as summer approaches" I realize the summer is starting this weekend. I was originally planning to replace the brake master cylinder on my car (I've had the replacement part for almost a year) but may not get to it. I need to replace both it and all four flexible brake line hoses -- the hoses as a preventative measure as they're over 14 years old with 180K miles. I don't need one blowing out due to age.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Good morning, all. :yawn:

The usual doldrums of laundry and mail pickup.
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:33 am
She just showed up without asking? :wtf: Did she tell you how long she plans to store this stuff?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Bird-on-bird violence is especially tragic.
Feathers tend to get ruffled.

Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Post by Madeliaette » Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 pm

phew the page loaded...finally...
:)
so much for engineewr coming in a day or two then a phone call if he needed to come indoors - no phone call and internet still stuffed. i will ring again monday.....
#congrats Cayla....
snoke - arghh no please no - i dont want a new smoke alarm on my to do list - i cant get to a diy store to buy one til i can get a lift off my bestie.
talking of which - L&I shopped today, then i plot trotted - then , as one carer was off (maybe sick maybe quit) i filled in and did pm shift - sob sob. (we have one client about to die any hour/day and another in dreadful pain, and...thats it only 2 clients.) 2 days of work ahead - though it may be more break than work if we lose the dying client...
in non internet news updates - yesterday i worked...weathers ok warm but today was windy and cloudy , about to vamoosicate into a book...

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

And three lovely days lie ahead. :feelinggood:

I was going to post Maddie's email, but she made it back. :D
scottydog wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:30 am
Oh that's right, it's Memorial Day. The Wife and I might make a day trip to go hiking in the mountains which are just an hour west of here.
That sounds nice. I might see if I have access to any areas of the Blue Hills. Or I may go see if the turkeys are still in the graveyard.
Cayla wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am
As for mental health during this pandemic, it is taking it's toll on Kelly. She has been working from home, has only left the house twice, and is dealing with her brother's death with no opportunity to have some sort of closure. She hasn't even been outside. I'm trying to get her to either go for a walk, or go to the garden center to pick out some shrubs this weekend.
You just described my Mother.
With the pandemic, it is our main source of connection to the world. It has become a necessity.
It really has. I wonder what it was like for people in the Spanish Flu pandemic. It must have been very grim.
Gary wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 am
I keep forgetting what time of year this is.
Same here. It's like time doesn't exist.
Lupine wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm
Feathers tend to get ruffled.
But really it's just a matter of a pinion.
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 pm
I wish the repairman would load. :lol:
(we have one client about to die any hour/day and another in dreadful pain, and...thats it only 2 clients.)
Man, that's pretty sad. That's hard work. :no:

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat May 23, 2020 1:23 am

Today was a gorgeous day to be outside. I took full advantage. Plus I got some work done and took a delicious nap as well.
Cayla wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am
Tonight, is out weekly drinking night.
i hope you had fun, and I hope you have plenty of Advil :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm
She just showed up without asking? :wtf: Did she tell you how long she plans to store this stuff?
Yep. With no notice. And no room to store her furniture. I told The Wife that we should take it to the dump, or landfill. But she wants to lend it out to other family members. In the mean time, we have no screened porch to use :mad:
Madeliaette wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:46 pm
:)
It's always nice to see you here. I worry about you when you aren't able to post.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 pm
And three lovely days lie ahead. :feelinggood:
If you can start your long weekends in July, that's only 6 weeks away :dance:

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

Maddie emailed me. Her Internet is impossibly slow again. :no:

And I'm to my usual Saturday routine.
scottydog wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:23 am
In the mean time, we have no screened porch to use :mad:
That would be my favorite spot in the house this time of year.
If you can start your long weekends in July, that's only 6 weeks away :dance:
Yeah, and with the 4th of July weekend in there, too. :D

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am

I asked Maddie about switching to a new ISP.
Madeliaette wrote: on mid morning break - which os longer than lunch break today.... i dont know, the last company were worse which is why i left... i may research others if i ever have enoygh internet to do te research...

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat May 23, 2020 10:48 am

Happy Saturday, everyone :hello:

Today The Wife and I are going out to eat for the first time since early March. There's an outdoor cafe that's open for brunch. Should be fun.

But first I'll do an early morning walk with Tim. I haven't communicated with him much this week -- I hope he's doing okay with his cancer treatments. Meanwhile, my other friend Nick is recovering well from his heart attack. :yes:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am
Maddie emailed me. Her Internet is impossibly slow again. :no:
Ughh. I'm so glad you're in email contact with her.
Madeliaette wrote: on mid morning break - which os longer than lunch break today.... i dont know, the last company were worse which is why i left... i may research others if i ever have enoygh internet to do te research...
So it's a weird, unfortunate catch-22. You need internet in order to get internet... :conf:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am
Yeah, and with the 4th of July weekend in there, too. :D
You're going to have a great 2nd half of the year with tons of 3-day weekends :dance:

Cayla
Consul
Consul

Post by Cayla » Sat May 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Good morning!

No hangover. I only had 3 hard seltzers in a 4 hour time span. Kelly was too depressed to drink. I found the phone number to a dear lady I know, who does free grief counseling. Kelly agreed for me to call her today, to see if she can help. In the meantime, I want to get her out of the house and take her for a drive to Wellington. I'd like to go to the garden center at the hardware store, and go to the reservation for a walk on the trails. Athena likes scavenger hunts, so I will make up one for the car ride through the country, and one for our walk. This evening, I hope to dig my plants out of Ron's yard, so I can landscape the yard Sunday and Monday.

I'm having issues with the Quit Claim Deed on the house that I have to do within 12 days. The County Recorder office is closed, due to the pandemic. Know is there to answer the phone, and the website does not have anything I can find to help. I contacted a patient who is an attorney. She even said it is stupid, and could not figure out what I needed to do. She did say that the DR court should not have given me 14 days to do this, knowing that the County Records office is closed. All she could do to help was tell me how to file for a motion of extension online. I'm panicking. My mom gave me the name of the estate attorney that both she and my mother-in-law uses. I hope he can help, or do the deed transfer for me.

Gary, I know what you mean. Time keeps slipping away. I thought with this pandemic, I would have time to all kinds of things, but instead, I am finding myself to be unmotivated to do anything.

One thing I love about my new residence, is the huge front porch. My old house did not have a front porch. This one has a nice breeze passing through it. Plus, it's Cleveland....there is plenty of entertainment to watch, as I sit outside. :lol: It's a corner house. Across the side street is a beautiful cemetery. Across the front of the house is an apartment building. The windows on the first floor of the apartment building are street level. The tenants in the corner unit use their window as their main entrance. You can imagine where my imagination went, when I first saw a man crawl out of it, and then turned around to kiss the woman inside the window. :lol: The order delivery take out often. When the delivery driver shows up, the woman is in the window and calls out, "Over here, sugar'" :lol:
The only way you may correct the bad things in your past is to add better things to your future.

Gary
Patrician
Patrician

Post by Gary » Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm

I managed to finish the workday around 2:30pm rather than at 1:-00pm like I wanted. Received the official notifications the city house closed and received the wire transfer from the overage of the settlement within an hour afterward. I immediately put $6,500 of those monies into my IRA contribution for 2019 and now have to start contributing for 2020. Got my back adjusted by the chiropractor, dropped off #1 and #2 plastic at the public collection point, bought some groceries at Sprouts, and then picked up an order from Wal Mart. I'm rapidly stockpiling food and supplies in anticipation of another wave of this pandemic later in the summer or in the fall.

Meanwhile, I'm researching if I would like to relocate to Virginia or the Carolinas. NC seems a bit too red. I have a niece who lives in South Carolina. I don't think my one weird brother (her father) will give me her contact information. He's always been a bit weird like that toward communicating with family members.

Other than that, no serious plans this weekend. Probably some more house cleaning. I received my new 6-cup electric percolator earlier this week, so I should give it an initial washing so I can start using it next week.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine » Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm

Good morning, fellow pandemic survivors. :mask:

Other than picking some things up for my aunt, little else is occurring.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am
I asked Maddie about switching to a new ISP.
I found this.
scottydog wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:48 am
But first I'll do an early morning walk with Tim. I haven't communicated with him much this week -- I hope he's doing okay with his cancer treatments. Meanwhile, my other friend Nick is recovering well from his heart attack. :yes:
That's good. :yes:
Cayla wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:26 pm
Gary, I know what you mean. Time keeps slipping away. I thought with this pandemic, I would have time to all kinds of things, but instead, I am finding myself to be unmotivated to do anything.
Same here. Glad it's not just me.

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Good afternoon, everyone. :hello:

I set up my Mother's new Fire TV cube this morning. A little something to keep her busy during solitary confinement.
scottydog wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:48 am
Today The Wife and I are going out to eat for the first time since early March. There's an outdoor cafe that's open for brunch. Should be fun.
Don't forget to wear your masks. Oh, wait....
Fingers crossed for both of them. :fingers_crossed:
Ughh. I'm so glad you're in email contact with her.
At least we know she's okay.
You're going to have a great 2nd half of the year with tons of 3-day weekends :dance:
I can't wait. :lol:
Cayla wrote:
Kelly was too depressed to drink.
Now there's an excellent personality trait to have.
I'm having issues with the Quit Claim Deed on the house that I have to do within 12 days. The County Recorder office is closed, due to the pandemic. Know is there to answer the phone, and the website does not have anything I can find to help. I contacted a patient who is an attorney. She even said it is stupid, and could not figure out what I needed to do. She did say that the DR court should not have given me 14 days to do this, knowing that the County Records office is closed. All she could do to help was tell me how to file for a motion of extension online. I'm panicking. My mom gave me the name of the estate attorney that both she and my mother-in-law uses. I hope he can help, or do the deed transfer for me.
I wouldn't worry. Whatever notification you got is just boilerplate. Deadlines mean nothing for the duration.
One thing I love about my new residence, is the huge front porch. My old house did not have a front porch. This one has a nice breeze passing through it. Plus, it's Cleveland....there is plenty of entertainment to watch, as I sit outside. :lol: It's a corner house. Across the side street is a beautiful cemetery. Across the front of the house is an apartment building. The windows on the first floor of the apartment building are street level. The tenants in the corner unit use their window as their main entrance. You can imagine where my imagination went, when I first saw a man crawl out of it, and then turned around to kiss the woman inside the window. :lol: The order delivery take out often. When the delivery driver shows up, the woman is in the window and calls out, "Over here, sugar'" :lol:
We need a pano of your view. :lol:
Gary wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm
Received the official notifications the city house closed and received the wire transfer from the overage of the settlement within an hour afterward.
It's finally done. I was afraid there'd be yet another last-second glitch. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm
I found this.
That looks great. I just emailed it to her. Hopefully she'll be able to load the page.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm

We had a nice brunch outside -- perfect weather and nice food. Now I'm ready for my nap :sleep:
Cayla wrote:
The tenants in the corner unit use their window as their main entrance. You can imagine where my imagination went, when I first saw a man crawl out of it, and then turned around to kiss the woman inside the window.
Hmmm. That's a tiny bit odd. They don't have a door? :conf:
Gary wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm
I'm researching if I would like to relocate to Virginia or the Carolinas. NC seems a bit too red. I have a niece who lives in South Carolina. I don't think my one weird brother (her father) will give me her contact information. He's always been a bit weird like that toward communicating with family members.
I wouldn't mind living in either Carolina, but they both tend to vote Republican more than Virginia does.
Lupine wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm
I found this.
Good job, Lupy :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 pm
I set up my Mother's new Fire TV cube this morning. A little something to keep her busy during solitary confinement.
How's her attitude these days? Is she antsy to get out and about?

RJDiogenes
Imperator Rex
Imperator Rex

Post by RJDiogenes » Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm

scottydog wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm
How's her attitude these days? Is she antsy to get out and about?
Very, although she finally went out for a walk one day this week. And she visited my Aunt who has COPD to help her out with some things. Other than that, it's just her and Chloe and my weekly visits.

scottydog
Consul
Consul

Post by scottydog » Sun May 24, 2020 12:34 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm
Other than that, it's just her and Chloe and my weekly visits.
Do your other siblings visit her once a week, too? I hope so. A lot of seniors are feeling very isolated these days.

huggle
Centurion
Centurion

Post by huggle » Sun May 24, 2020 6:18 am

scottydog wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:33 am
That's interesting that you have extensive experience with wild pigs. I've never seen one in the wild. Except on TV which doesn't count.
Bavaria is literally crawling with wild boar. A pack is led by the alpha-female. She's the only one who is permitted to mate. Alas, inexperienced hunters frequently kill the alpha female upon which within days all other females in the pack get into mating mood. The result is a babyboom, or pigletboom rather. This way the problem increases exponentially and experienced hunters have been working for over a decade to get the packs back to normal social structures. Unfortunately, there are still fools who kill the alphas. Atm there are about 4-5 times as many wild pigs than hares. Pretty crazy.
They get rather a nuissance, destroying crops and even raiding gardens and waste bins.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away