Science Tidbits #6

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Science Tidbits #6

Post by RJDiogenes »

An infinite number! :oldman:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Here is an interesting article about the pros and cons of de-extinction of long lost animals.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I'd be for "de-extinction" if the animals were actual clones and not something that was genetically engineered to look like the original animal. Yeah there might be some environmental benefits, but you could do that same with existing species- such as the inadvertent introduction of hippos in Columbia which some argue could act as stand-ins for the extinct Toxodon.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"Undead Dodos." I sense a bias. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:09 pm
I'd be for "de-extinction" if the animals were actual clones and not something that was genetically engineered to look like the original animal.
Same here. If they have access to the complete Dodo genome from remains, why don't they shoot for doing it right?

They do raise some valid issues about what to do with orphan clones who have no grown ups to learn from. And it even goes deeper than that. For example, Elephants are coprophagic. They die if they don't ingest the gut flora from their mom's poop. What if Wooly Mammoths are the same, but regular Elephant gut flora is not compatible enough-- their own gut flora may have gone extinct with them. And Dodos went extinct because of invasive predators introduced to their environment by explorers-- are all those predators now going to be removed from the environment after all these centuries?

I do want Dodos and Wooly Mammoths back, but it really needs to be done right.

And we don't really need to create a more hopeful story about combating mass extinctions-- humans are already the only species in history that has deliberately saved other species from extinction.

But I did get a kick out of the idea that extinct species never asked to be brought back. I can just imagine a teenage Dodo clone: "I never asked to be born again!" :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:11 pm
But I did get a kick out of the idea that extinct species never asked to be brought back. I can just imagine a teenage Dodo clone: "I never asked to be born again!" :lol:
:lol:
Yeah, arguments like that are meant to sound deep and philosophical, but are really just silly. After all no animal asked to have evolved in the first place much less to have been driven into extinction by world-galloping psycho-chimps.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ooh, World-Galloping Psycho-Chimps. I like that. :D :pony:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^It does sound like a grunge band. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It sounds like they're on tour. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:00 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:11 pm
:lol:
Yeah, arguments like that are meant to sound deep and philosophical, but are really just silly. After all no animal asked to have evolved in the first place much less to have been driven into extinction by world-galloping psycho-chimps.
:guffaw:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :lol:

Meanwhile in the annuls of scientific illiteracy :flying_saucer:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Face reality, gang: The world is flat, the Moon is hollow, and planets are spaceships. :loopy:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

A little late, but here's a video about the current AI panic.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

How dare she be all rational and stuff? :no:

Although that description of the Chatbot as a lossy jpeg-- taking all the info, dumping it together, mixing it up, and misremembering it-- does sound suspiciously like the human brain. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^We're probably going to end up creating artificial sentience purely by accident. :labexplosion:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:35 pm
A little late, but here's a video about the current AI panic.
That's a good video. It reinforces the idea that we're the biggest threat to ourselves, not AI.

Here's an article with an alarmist headline but also raises some interesting points about the arrangement of our planets in our solar system.