Science Tidbits #6

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Science Tidbits #6

Post by Lupine »

^That one is pretty good actually.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:13 pm
And AI stories and books will only get better. It's only a matter of time before a robot with a lovable face will be marketed as authoring a line of clothing, an architectural style, a series of children's books, etc.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:25 am
A graph on a curve that increases exponentially until it reaches infinity. :D If you think about the progress of civilization in terms of a graph, it increases just the same way as technology does-- it's pretty flat for a few thousand years, then it angles up for another thousand, then starts to curve up more steeply. Just think of the last couple of centuries, then the last century, then the last half century. The changes in standards are staggering compared to historical norms, even accounting for setbacks like the current Culture Slappy Fight.
We've certainly grown more moral as a species. If we wanted to graph it, I'm curious what moral "data" we'd draw from. It would be fascinating and it'd be called Hutchins Law of Moral Singularity (HLMS).
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:13 pm
It can actually put together a coherent story, although it often loses track of who's who and who did what. It's fascinating, though. It can obey very specific instructions. One time I asked it for a screenplay, and it actually gave me a correctly formatted script.
scottydog wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:09 pm
And AI stories and books will only get better. It's only a matter of time before a robot with a lovable face will be marketed as authoring a line of clothing, an architectural style, a series of children's books, etc.
I'm waiting for the Asimovbot to give us more Foundation sequels.
We've certainly grown more moral as a species. If we wanted to graph it, I'm curious what moral "data" we'd draw from. It would be fascinating and it'd be called Hutchins Law of Moral Singularity (HLMS).
I like that. :taptap: :D Creating the actual scale and the data points would be pretty difficult. The Code of Hammarubi was a great leap forward, but nothing compared to ancient Athens-- and ancient Athens was amazing, but nothing compared to the US Constitution. Plus the world has only grown more variegated in culture over time. If we defined the graph by the standards of the United States or Western Civilization, that would not represent the world as a whole. And even in the same culture, there is disagreement about what constitutes morality. Is the death penalty moral? Is abortion moral? Is war for the sake of defending an ally moral? Even so, even a rough assessment of human history will show that we live in an incredible, unprecedented era.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I found the one where I asked for a screenplay. As you can see, it can accept a fairly complex prompt, but you never know what it will do with it. :lol:
Please write a screenplay about a girl named Keisha, who is a Kung Fu master, who gets attacked by ninjas in downtown Boston at midnight, including dialogue, references to Coca Cola, a joke about Rodney Dangerfield, a nude scene, and a comedic ending.

FADE IN

INT. CITY STREET - NIGHT

KEISHA, a young kung fu master, is walking down a city street in downtown Boston.

KEISHA
(humming)
Ah, just another night in the city.

Suddenly, Keisha senses something and stops in her tracks.

KEISHA
(looking around)
What was that?

Suddenly, a group of NINJAS burst out of the shadows and surround Keisha.

NINJA 1
We've been expecting you, Keisha.

Keisha takes a defensive stance and prepares for the fight.

KEISHA
So, you want a piece of me, huh?

The ninjas all nod.

NINJA 1
You bet we do!

Keisha takes a deep breath and then leaps into action.

EXT. CITY STREET - NIGHT

Keisha takes on the ninjas with her kung fu skills, but it's a close fight.

KEISHA
(to herself)
I could use a little help here...

Suddenly, a can of Coca Cola flies through the air and lands right in front of Keisha.

KEISHA
(smiling)
Ah, just the ticket.

Keisha grabs the can and takes a swig before she resumes her fight.

EXT. CITY STREET - LATER

Keisha is victorious. She stands panting in the middle of the defeated ninjas.

KEISHA
(breathing heavy)
Well, that was easier than I thought.

Suddenly, RODNEY DANGERFIELD appears out of nowhere.

RODNEY DANGERFIELD
Hey, lady! I'm Rodney Dangerfield, and I don't get no respect!

Keisha looks at him in confusion.

KEISHA
What are you doing here?

RODNEY DANGERFIELD
(smiling)
I heard there was a fight and I wanted to see the action.

Keisha laughs.

KEISHA
Well, I think you missed the action, but I'm sure you can find something else to do.

Rodney sighs and shakes his head.

RODNEY DANGERFIELD
(sadly)
Nope, no respect.

Keisha laughs again.

KEISHA
C'mon, Rodney, let's get out of here.

Rodney and Keisha walk away, leaving the defeated ninjas behind them.

EXT. CITY STREET - LATER

Keisha and Rodney are walking down the street.

KEISHA
So, Rodney, what do you want to do now?

RODNEY DANGERFIELD
(grinning)
How about a nude scene?

Keisha looks at him in surprise.

KEISHA
What?!

RODNEY DANGERFIELD
(laughing)
Just kidding!

Keisha laughs and they continue walking.

EXT. PARK - LATER

Keisha and Rodney sit on a park bench, enjoying the night.

KEISHA
(sighing)
It's been a long night.

RODNEY DANGERFIELD
(smiling)
Tell me about it.

Suddenly, a flock of seagulls fly overhead, squawking.

RODNEY DANGERFIELD
(pointing at the birds)
Hey, look! It's the ninjas!

Keisha laughs.

KEISHA
(laughing)
Yeah, and they're flying away in fear!

Rodney and Keisha laugh.

FADE OUT
:lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:06 pm
I found the one where I asked for a screenplay. As you can see, it can accept a fairly complex prompt, but you never know what it will do with it. :lol:
Please write a screenplay about a girl named Keisha, who is a Kung Fu master, who gets attacked by ninjas in downtown Boston at midnight, including dialogue, references to Coca Cola, a joke about Rodney Dangerfield, a nude scene, and a comedic ending.
:lol:
That's fascinating. Could it have conjured up these elements, or ones like it, without a specific prompt?

Also, I'm impressed that it handled the nude scene in good taste. How did the AI know to do that?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:24 pm
That's fascinating. Could it have conjured up these elements, or ones like it, without a specific prompt?
Theoretically. That flock of seagulls came out of nowhere.
Also, I'm impressed that it handled the nude scene in good taste. How did the AI know to do that?
I think it was mocking me. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Speaking of AI, schools and training workshops are popping up to help people transition to an AI-dominated world. Here's a blurb from one of them, no doubt written by AI:

In a few years, ChatGPT or its successor will write typical marketing texts better than 90% of copywriters, and the job of the top 10% of copywritERS will be to pick which of the options offered by the application best fits the company's objectives.

In a few years, Midjourney or its successor will learn to create design at the level of the best designers, but only the best designers will be able to set the program to the right task and distinguish top design from the aisle of options available.

In a few years, GitHub Copilot or its successor will generate code for typical programs better than standard coder. But to solve really complex problems, we’re going to need software engineers who write less code and focus more on solution architecture.

Law, music, journalism - it will be in most industries. In 5, 10 or 15 years, but sooner or later it will become a reality in your industry, too.

There's nothing to be afraid of. And it is worth considering how to be among those professionals who can effectively use similar applications of generative artificial intelligence to dramatically increase one's productivity.

The question is to master not only the routine of your profession, but to become a master of the most fundamental and complex skills that are beyond the power of AI. The challenge is to transfer all typical work to artificial intelligence to a fundamentally new level of productivity – but to do so, you need to be able to go beyond typical work.

The days of non-AI education based on passive lecture are passing. New professions will open up for those who will become a master of work paired with AI.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I agree. AI is nothing more than a tool, but to work with it successfully will require new skills-- just like working with computers and the Internet required new skills. It will be interesting. I'm glad I'm retired. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:28 pm
I agree. AI is nothing more than a tool, but to work with it successfully will require new skills-- just like working with computers and the Internet required new skills. It will be interesting. I'm glad I'm retired. :lol:
As writers, do you, Lupy, and I need to use AI to help us get our writing done? Or can we continue to apply our craft the old fashioned way?
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Out of curiosity I've plugged some of my work into AI, but only ended up with drivel or gibberish. I still work the old-fashioned way.
About the only technology I ever used was planning out a battle scene using the scenario editor in my Age of Empires 2 game.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I plan to make good use of the art utilities, but I don't think we need the writing utilities. Although I don't rule out having some fun with them. :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:09 pm
^Out of curiosity I've plugged some of my work into AI, but only ended up with drivel or gibberish. I still work the old-fashioned way.
About the only technology I ever used was planning out a battle scene using the scenario editor in my Age of Empires 2 game.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:36 pm
I plan to make good use of the art utilities, but I don't think we need the writing utilities. Although I don't rule out having some fun with them. :lol:
But isn't it possible that one day AI will turn out writing or poetry that is equivalent to Shakespeare or Asimov?
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Probably. But I'm not worrying. Everyone, AI or human, will have their own POVs and voices.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Agreed. There's nothing to prevent humans from being innovators.

Also, I'm looking forward to new novels from Asimov, and Clarke, and Heinlein... :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:34 pm
^Probably. But I'm not worrying. Everyone, AI or human, will have their own POVs and voices.
That's true. But in giving out awards for achievement, we'll need two categories -- a human category and an AI category.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:59 pm
Also, I'm looking forward to new novels from Asimov, and Clarke, and Heinlein... :lol:
Damn. How many more Shakespearean tragedies will AI write?