2021 Politics: The New Era

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

2021 Politics: The New Era

Post by Lupine »

A new thread for all the political escapades before us.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:31 am
Do y'all think the Republican Part can ever become "normal" again? Or has Trump permanently rendered it the party of deranged lunatics?
Possibly. The coming year will tell.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: 2021 Politics: The New Era

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:08 pm
A new thread for all the political escapades before us.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:31 am
Do y'all think the Republican Part can ever become "normal" again? Or has Trump permanently rendered it the party of deranged lunatics?
Possibly. The coming year will tell.
Part of the current problem with the Republican party is that the Tea Party nutters took hold and were effectively held at bay. The Tea Party was the layer of folks who occasionally let their racism show but were pretty good at not saying the quiet part out loud. This emboldened the more outspoken bigots, racists, and fringe to come forward and attempt to wrest control of the party. The key is for the Dems to step it up and get people voting so that they (Dems) get a majority. Once that happens, the Dems needs pass a lot of voter reform legislation to safeguard voting, voter protections, and to create roadblocks which impede GOP efforts in enacting restrictions. I can't remember who it was who said if everyone were allowed to vote then Republicans would never win elections. That's fine with me if that means the party splits so we get coalitions which will govern via compromise rather than all-or-nothing (thanks for Newt Gingrich).
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And Congress just overrode Trump's veto of the defense bill.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... o-override
I see that Sander's filibuster really worked.... :whatever:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:39 pm
And Congress just overrode Trump's veto of the defense bill.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... o-override
I see that Sander's filibuster really worked.... :whatever:
I've been reading that one reason he vetoed it is because of anti-money laundering provisions. The events of his life after noon, January 20th are going to be VERY interesting.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah, he was just trying to cover his butt.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I don't have high hopes for the Republican Party to be normalized soon. We may have elected a moderate president, but the Democrats are also becoming more radicalized because of the extremists in their base. The Democrats elect the Squad, so the Republicans elect QAnon, so the Democrats will next elect something worse, and the Republicans will respond with something even worse than that. It's the shoving match of extremism.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I saw that story about forming a new party. It would be a great thing if it really happened, but it's just talk. The thing is that in the 21st century the two major parties are multi-billion dollar corporations, and that's the kind of money a new party would need to seriously compete.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Not to mention that many of the GOP mentioned- while they furrow their brows and act "concerned"- usually knuckle under and tow the party line.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think it would be hilarious if he took an unscheduled trip on January 19th to Moscow and asked for asylum. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I'm kind of surprised he hasn't resigned already just so he can get a pardon from Pence.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

He just told a Georgia election official to make up votes. How can that not be a criminal offense?
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:05 am
He just told a Georgia election official to make up votes. How can that not be a criminal offense?
Carl Bernstein: Trump’s Call to Raffensperger Is ‘Worse Than Watergate’

The problem is both houses have to have the guts to impeach and convict him. At this point, he's trying desperately to find some way to remain shielded by the Office of the Presidency; however, neither he nor his closest minions seem to understand that as of 1/20/2021 @ 12:00pm his tenure expires. FULL STOP.

The next couple of weeks are going to be the last gasp of Trump and 2020 like a dying animal fighting to breathe.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I doubt that anything will come of this latest outrage. Trump has out-Tefloned Reagan. In a few days people will be vacillating over the next outrage.

In other news there's talk that Trump is planning on skipping the country before the Inauguration.