2021 Politics: The New Era

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: 2021 Politics: The New Era

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:58 pm
Indeed. That's why we need to get rid of, or marginalize, political parties.
I agree and it will be very hard to accomplish. People not only love their tribes, they also hold onto them as if their lives depend on them. Because at one time in evo-history, they did.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

True. 90% of social issues are caused by instincts that worked well in the wild, but are contradictory to civilization; and the other 10% are caused by ancient traditions that were begun because of instincts that worked well in the wild, but are contradictory to civilization. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

^^ That's something that scholars talk and debate about all the time. It seems obvious to me that human culture is not separate from human instinct. It's an issue I cannot talk about on a college campus that is dominated by extreme left-wingers who will insist, for example, that patriarchy is purely cultural and has no biological basis. They don't want to hear your point that humans came out of the trees just yesterday.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And in today's annals of crazy. Apparently the vaccines contain organisms with tentacles. :squid: :wtf: :squid:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:45 am
^^ That's something that scholars talk and debate about all the time. It seems obvious to me that human culture is not separate from human instinct. It's an issue I cannot talk about on a college campus that is dominated by extreme left-wingers who will insist, for example, that patriarchy is purely cultural and has no biological basis. They don't want to hear your point that humans came out of the trees just yesterday.
Of course not. That way lies compassion! :lol: It reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother Steve a while ago, who is one of those Left-Wing extremists (although he's showing some signs of hope in his old age). I happened to say something about the biological basis of gender roles, and he was bewildered. I had to explain that up until the early 20th century or so there was something like an 80% infant and child mortality rate, and that throughout human history it was necessary to protect women and babies just for the sake of sheer survival. Until the advent of modern medicine and reliable birth control, it was the only viable strategy. He had no idea. I asked him why he thought that all cultures had this division of labor ingrained into them and he replied something like, "Men are assholes." :lol: And then they wonder how The Donald got elected....
Lupine wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:07 pm
And in today's annals of crazy. Apparently the vaccines contain organisms with tentacles. :squid: :wtf: :squid:
That's fantastic. They're not just trying to make satire obsolete, they're trying to make Science Fiction obsolete. If he had come up with that a few weeks ago, he probably would have taken my place in the Arkham Bazaar anthology. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

These people are taking the legislature of the most powerful nation in the history of the human species and reducing it to an episode of Squidbillies.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 pm
It reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother Steve a while ago, who is one of those Left-Wing extremists (although he's showing some signs of hope in his old age). I happened to say something about the biological basis of gender roles, and he was bewildered. I had to explain that up until the early 20th century or so there was something like an 80% infant and child mortality rate, and that throughout human history it was necessary to protect women and babies just for the sake of sheer survival. Until the advent of modern medicine and reliable birth control, it was the only viable strategy. He had no idea. I asked him why he thought that all cultures had this division of labor ingrained into them and he replied something like, "Men are assholes." :lol: And then they wonder how The Donald got elected....
That's a good story. I wonder if I should tell it to my class on my final day of teaching, when it's too late for the university to fire me :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:20 pm
These people are taking the legislature of the most powerful nation in the history of the human species and reducing it to an episode of Squidbillies.
Squidbillies :lol: :guffaw: :veryhappy:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I think some of them are squidbillies. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And finally someone has realized that pandering to the youth vote might not be a good idea. :thinking:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

I'm already anticipating a Trump victory in 2024 and trying to decide whether to leave the country then. I'll be retired so its not like a job is keeping me here. The only issue is my wife -- she's pretty entrenched in Richmond thanks to her big Catholic family.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Well, it is a long way to 2024- an eternity in political years. Trump could very well self-destruct, be arrested, die, or simply become passe before then.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:14 pm
Well, it is a long way to 2024- an eternity in political years. Trump could very well self-destruct, be arrested, die, or simply become passe before then.
We can only hope!
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Or as I like to say "don't panic until there's a reason to panic".
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 pm
And finally someone has realized that pandering to the youth vote might not be a good idea. :thinking:
This is all very true, and there's an additional component to it-- these young, self-righteous crusaders also make the most noise on social media. It's not a coincidence that the Left Wing started alienating people in droves in the early 90s, just when the Internet was making inroads into the lives of the common people.
scottydog wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:24 pm
I'm already anticipating a Trump victory in 2024 and trying to decide whether to leave the country then.
What makes you think he'll let you go? :unsure:
Lupine wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:14 pm
He lost by three million votes in 2016 and eight million votes in 2020, and that was before he attempted to overturn the election. Unless Biden does something incredibly stupid within a couple of weeks of the next election, there's no way The Donald can take it.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Well, it's not totally impossible.
The first possibility is that the media continues to ride Biden hard and the country doesn't really improve by next election. If the Republicans take Congress in 2022 they will stonewall everything making his job even harder. If the Democratic vote is suppressed enough it's not impossible for Trump to sneak through by a narrow Electoral margin.
The second possibility is that Biden resigns due to age or health and Trump is facing Harris. Harris is a media darling, but a generally poor campaigner. Again Trump could squeeze out a narrow victory.
The third, and most unsettling possibility, is that with a Republican Congress they will simply ignore the Electoral college and install Trump regardless if he loses by 3 or 8 million votes. That's a major Rubicon to cross and could very well result in a low grade Civil War- which might dissuade them from going though with it. Maybe.
These are all unlikely, but best not to be complacent.