The Watching Thread #5

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: The Watching Thread #5

Post by Gary »

I finished all five seasons of Fargo and have been meandering around watching various movies. I recently rewatched Constantine (for the third or fourth time). Last night, I watched Airheads, which didn't interest me when it first came out. I have to admit it was very humorous.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Time Lapse
Three friends discover a mysterious machine that takes pictures twenty-four hours into the future, and conspire to use it for personal gain, until disturbing and dangerous images begin to develop.
This is apparently a re-make of a movie from the 60s(?). Either way, the premise is rather interesting, and the ending is rather vicious. Not a bad movie overall.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The idea was also used on a couple of episodes of Twilight Zone-- one of them starring Uncle Charlie from My Three Sons. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I think the idea also turned up in an episode of Fantasy Island as well.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, yeah, I seem to remember that.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Resident Alien Season 3 has been out for while. I am now up to Episode 5.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

The Holdovers.
Nobody likes teacher Paul Hunham (Giamatti) -- not his students, not his fellow faculty, not the headmaster, who all find his pomposity and rigidity exasperating. With no family and nowhere to go over Christmas holiday in 1970, Paul remains at school to supervise students unable to journey home. After a few days, only one student holdover remains -- a trouble-making 18-year-old named Angus, a good student whose bad behavior always threatens to get him expelled. Joining Paul and Angus is head cook Mary (Randolph)-an African American woman who caters to sons of privilege and whose own son was recently lost in Vietnam. These three very different shipwrecked people form an unlikely Christmas family sharing comic misadventures during two very snowy weeks in New England. The real journey is how they help one another understand that they are not beholden to their past-they can choose their own futures.
Crazy Credits
The film opens with a 1970's vintage R-rating MPAA card, followed by a 70's version of the Focus Features and Miramax logos.
Very enjoyable film with brilliant character presentation and growth.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I am currently hate watching Star Trek: Voyager. It's nowhere near as horrible as Discovery, but it's still a major disappointment.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I was disappointed with some of the things they did-- or at least some of the things they didn't do. But I always enjoyed it.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

And it's held up pretty good in re-runs. Better than DS9 in many ways.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:38 pm
I was disappointed with some of the things they did-- or at least some of the things they didn't do. But I always enjoyed it.
I still stand by my statement that Neelix should have been shoved out of an airlock by episode three.
Lupine wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:11 pm
I am going to pretend you didn't say that. :wtf:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :veryhappy:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Never cross a Niner. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
That's the trouble with arc-based storytelling. It reduces rewatchability.
Gary wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:24 pm
I still stand by my statement that Neelix should have been shoved out of an airlock by episode three.
I was fine with Neelix, but both Kes and Harry dragged the show down. Replacing Kes with Seven was a smart move, but they should have replaced Harry as well.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^And I rather liked Kes. Seven would have worked better if they had put in some decent clothes.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:49 pm
Lupine wrote:
That's the trouble with arc-based storytelling. It reduces rewatchability.
My problem with DS9 wasn't so much the arcs (though the Dominion War really dragged at times), but I never thought the writing was as sharp as TNG and the show never seemed as forward thinking as the other shows of the time.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Couldn't stand Kes or Neelix. Janeway was the female Kirk (minus the implied sex) and was also bipolar. There are a lot of other issues I had with the show, such as the ship being in original condition by the end. The reboot of Battlestar Galactica greatly demonstrates how the ship should have degraded over the course of battles and normal operations. The final season should have been the ship arriving in the Alpha Quadrant (not necessarily Earth) part-way through the final season with the remainder spent on what happened to the crew and the ship afterward.