The Watching Thread #5

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

The Watching Thread #5

Post by Lupine »

What's on? :tv:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: The Watching Thread #5

Post by Lupine »

And In that topic (sort of), with DirecTV raising their rates to extraordinary levels, I got a Roku today.
There's lots of free stuff with Roku TV, Pluto TV, Youtube, Peacock, and the like. Picture quality is better than I expected- so much so I worry a little of maxing out my data rate with my ISP (they say there' no data cap, but we'll see). Not much in the way of local channels that I've found yet. We'll see what the picture looks like tonight when (I'm assuming that more people will be online). If this works I should be able to scale back my DirecTV package and save some :dollar:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Interesting. Explain Roku to me. I've heard that Chris Mihm has his own Roku channel that shows all his movies.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Toy Story 4. Netflix figured I would like it even though I was comfortable in the story having ended in the third installment. I had a good laugh when Forky first came to life.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Haven't seen that one yet.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:11 am
Interesting. Explain Roku to me. I've heard that Chris Mihm has his own Roku channel that shows all his movies.
It's a device that allows you to stream things through your TV. Some stuff is free while others are paid subscription like Netflix and Disney+.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Does it have to be a TV, or can you do it through your computer (since my TV is pretty much history)?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^I think so. You can get Peacock on the computer- I already have it.

EDIT: and to clarify if you're watching stuff on your computer you won't need to purchase a Roku device. Just go to the Roku channel.
Sci-Fi Girl
Augur
Augur

Post by Sci-Fi Girl »

I was browsing through movies on Prime, and came across this one. I immediately watched it! :D

I haven't seen much from Dakota Fanning in a while, and I assumed she was making things that just hadn't crossed my radar. This is clearly one of those, that I have just discovered! B)

Seriously, this movie is so good! I would recommend anyone to watch it! :clap:

Please Stand By

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQe4sqjZT8

SFG
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:48 pm
^I think so. You can get Peacock on the computer- I already have it.

EDIT: and to clarify if you're watching stuff on your computer you won't need to purchase a Roku device. Just go to the Roku channel.
Wow, there's a ton of stuff there. No TCM, but a lot of classic movie and TV channels, including several that are genre related. Chris's channel is called Drive-In Monsters and it looks like it's still free (he might have to levy a small subscription of a couple of dollars).
Sci-Fi Girl wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:41 pm
I was browsing through movies on Prime, and came across this one. I immediately watched it! :D

I haven't seen much from Dakota Fanning in a while, and I assumed she was making things that just hadn't crossed my radar. This is clearly one of those, that I have just discovered! B)

Please Stand By

SFG
That looks great, but stressful. :lol:

Sci-Fi Girl
Augur
Augur

Post by Sci-Fi Girl »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:47 pm
Sci-Fi Girl wrote:

Please Stand By

SFG
That looks great, but stressful. :lol:

Oh, most of it is really not stressful! :)

The overall tone is more hopeful. The focus is more on perseverance, determination, and resourcefulness when venturing into the unknown. And finding your own way forward no matter what kind of obstacles you face. And about people who are fundamentally different finding common ground, and learning to understand each other, and how to support each other.

You know, some of the things that Star Trek is actually about! B)

Also, spoiler:

(It has a happy ending.) :yes:

SFG
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Last night I watched The 12th Man.
True World War II story about Jan Baalsrud, one of the 12 saboteurs sent in 1943 from England to the Nazi occupied Northern Norway. After their boat is sunk by the Germans, Jan goes on the run towards the neutral Sweden. However, the brutal weather conditions turn out to possibly be an even greater foe than the Nazi patrols.
The dialog is all German or Norwegian with subtitles. This is a fantastic story for the history buffs.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Now there's a guy who knows what patriotism is.
Sci-Fi Girl wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 pm
For a writer, watching that manuscript suffering various indignities, like fluttering away in the wind, is stressful. :lol:

Sci-Fi Girl
Augur
Augur

Post by Sci-Fi Girl »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:44 pm
Sci-Fi Girl wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 pm
For a writer, watching that manuscript suffering various indignities, like fluttering away in the wind, is stressful. :lol:
Fair enough! ;)

But like I said, it has a happy ending! :thumbsup:

SFG
Zarkon
Gladiator
Gladiator

Post by Zarkon »

Sci-Fi Girl wrote:

Please Stand By

SFG
Thank you sooooo much for posting this.

Had no idea that was out there and come and gone in the theaters. I would have watched that on the big screen for sure.

At least it is nice that is on Prime, and just added it to my watch list.

Will be watching this one in the next few days. I need a TREK FIX LOL

Loved the preview. Loved the determination

B)
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I've been watching a lot of the newer Midsomar Murders on Roku, the ones too new to have been on PBS. Also caught an old episode of Decoy on Tubi.