The Watching Thread #5

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: The Watching Thread #5

Post by RJDiogenes »

The Brides of Dracula, 1960.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

House of the Wolf Man, 2009, but an homage to the 1940s

Blood of the Vampire, 1958
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I've been searching high and low through the streaming channels to find the older episodes of Whose Line is it Anyway where Drew Carey is the host. I've only seen Season 1 and want to see the remaining seasons. That show is an absolute riot :lol:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Bosch is turning out to be a really good series. Serious drama with real teeth. Each season involves Bosch working on just one case with a reference to maybe one other. This is a far cry better than most police procedurals where the case is solved in the span of a 1-hour commercial TV show. There's a spinoff after the main series titled Bosch: Legacy. I will definitely dive into that one.

I'm also watching Season 2 of Quantum Leap. It's rather meh, and I have no idea what in the hell the writers and show runners were thinking by bringing the premise back.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's disappointing. It was starting to sound interesting.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lower Decks Season 4 ended with a great episode which involved Nick Locarno, Wesley Crusher, a decrepit Orion battle cruiser, and a Genesis device. Gotta love the humor of this series while maintaining all that is Trek.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That sounds interesting. Lower Decks is certainly the best of the modern shows when it comes to canon and continuity.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I finished Bosch last night and highly recommend it. I am now watching Bosch: Legacy, which picks up some time after its predecessor.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Watched Train to Busan last night. The South Korean film makers are very good at their craft.
Sok-woo, a father with not much time for his daughter, Soo-ahn, are boarding the KTX, a fast train that shall bring them from Seoul to Busan. But during their journey, the apocalypse begins, and most of the earth's population become flesh craving zombies. While the KTX is shooting towards Busan, the passenger's fight for their families and lives against the zombies - and each other.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Okay, that's a nice fresh take on the Zombie Apocalypse. I guess you don't have to die to become a Zombie in this one. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Radioactive
The incredible true story of Marie Sklodowska-Curie and her Nobel Prize-winning work that changed the world.
Pretty interesting with some interspersing of how her discoveries made an impact in her future.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lawmen: Bass Reeves
About the legendary lawman Bass Reeves, one of the greatest frontier heroes and one of the first Black deputy U.S. marshals west of the Mississippi River.
Just completed the entire first season. Very well written, outstanding set pieces, and great character development. I am eagerly awaiting Season 2.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's been said that he's the basis for the Lone Ranger, but I don't know how true that is.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:14 pm
It's been said that he's the basis for the Lone Ranger, but I don't know how true that is.
It could be since his sidekick is an Indian.

Meanwhile, I watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

Overall, it's better than the previous movie but was nowhere near as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark. I get really tired of movie writers introducing strife between characters who married or got together at the end of the previous iteration. This movie also had the "whacky kid sidekick" that's a tiring trope as well.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:23 pm
It could be since his sidekick is an Indian.
I didn't even know that part.
I'm just going to order the DVD, so I'll be able to complete my collection.
Overall, it's better than the previous movie but was nowhere near as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark. I get really tired of movie writers introducing strife between characters who married or got together at the end of the previous iteration. This movie also had the "whacky kid sidekick" that's a tiring trope as well.
From what I saw and read, she was just another Mutt, which is a shame. I would have been happy for Indy to pass the torch to another generation if done right. And speaking of Mutt, even worse than the marital troubles was Mutt being killed in Vietnam. I disliked the character, but that was a terrible thing to do to Indy.