The Watching Thread #5

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: The Watching Thread #5

Post by Lupine »

^I saw that. Meh.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:58 pm
^^ I jumped to the end. :D
I don't blame you. It's a long documentary about a now (unfortunately) obscure performer. Not to mention he had a rather tragic career brought on by a combination of being too far ahead of his time and horrid mismanagement.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Oh yeah, Season 4 of Star Trek: Lower Decks started last week with two episodes. The writers haven't missed a beat with one episode riffing one of Voyager's worst episodes -- Twovix. We also get to see most of the group being promoted to Lt jg.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:12 pm
^I saw that. Meh.
I thought it was pretty funny. It had kind of a MAD vibe.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:58 pm
I don't blame you. It's a long documentary about a now (unfortunately) obscure performer. Not to mention he had a rather tragic career brought on by a combination of being too far ahead of his time and horrid mismanagement.
I just skipped to the end to see your aunt's name because it was so long. I'm sure he has an interesting story. And I'm sure his music is also on YouTube.
Gary wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:14 pm
Oh yeah, Season 4 of Star Trek: Lower Decks started last week with two episodes. The writers haven't missed a beat with one episode riffing one of Voyager's worst episodes -- Twovix. We also get to see most of the group being promoted to Lt jg.
Are they still lower decks if they're lieutenants?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:18 am
Gary wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:14 pm
Are they still lower decks if they're lieutenants?
You'll have to watch the series to find out :chitchat:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I really should be....
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Season 3 was (or is) posted on YouTube (along with episode 1 of season 4) and the series is growing on me despite everything. Some episodes are pointless- kind of like Seinfeld in space. But some are actually quite good.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's certainly the most canon-friendly of all the shows. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:17 pm
Season 3 was (or is) posted on YouTube (along with episode 1 of season 4) and the series is growing on me despite everything. Some episodes are pointless- kind of like Seinfeld in space. But some are actually quite good.
Bah. The series is all about the folks who are berthed down in the Lower Decks and has loads of callbacks and references to every other Trek series. My expectations for the show were very low until I saw a lot of the buzz from viewers. I was hooked from the first episode and have not been disappointed. I would love it if Avery Brookes were to come out of retirement and voice Captain Sisko.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ They'd also have to get Sisko out of retirement in the Wormhole. :lol:

Today I watched Annihilate All Humans. I never met a Mihmiverse movie I didn't like. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

I've been bumming around in search of something worthwhile to watch on a regular basis. Quantum Leap and Loki are both back for their respective second seasons, then there's Lower Decks in Season Four. But those are just weekly showings rather than something I can burn through each evening.

I watched a little known Matt Damon movie titled Downsizing. It is a social commentary with several rather humorous moments.
A new world of possibilities awaits, thanks to a revolutionary medical procedure known as Downsizing. Billed as environmentally-friendly, many people choose to downsize for economic benefits. When the kindly occupational therapist, Paul, undergoes the new procedure, finding himself in this brand-new existence, he must choose between a sheltered life or making an impact in his own small way. Can he help save the planet and afford a nice lifestyle at the same time?
I was able to find one Amazon offering via the FreeVee channel on my Roku titled Bosch. I'm just one episode in and I find the characters in Bosch are very well written. This isn't a slapped together procedural like most procedurals on network television of the last 15 years or so.
Harry Bosch is a homicide detective in the LAPD. He is doggedly determined to solve the cases that come his way, relying on good old-fashioned police work: following leads, looking for the smallest of clues, gathering evidence. He doesn't always toe the party line which often gets him into trouble with his superiors but he always gets the perpetrator, which more than makes up for this.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:14 am
I watched a little known Matt Damon movie titled Downsizing. It is a social commentary with several rather humorous moments.
I'd go for it, as long as I could also downsize my library. :lol:
I was able to find one Amazon offering via the FreeVee channel on my Roku titled Bosch.
I remember reading about this show a while ago. They say it's pretty good.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Today I watched The Invisible Ghost with Bela Lugosi from 1941. It was good. I can't really say it was a mystery, since the identity of the killer was known all along, but it was that type of movie. It had some surprising plot twists, like the daughter's fiancee being falsely accused of a murder and actually being executed for it. I'd recommend it for those who like the oldies.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lower Decks, Season 4, continues to deliver. :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Last night I watched the 1939 version of Hound of the Baskervilles with Basil Rathbone.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Cry of the Werewolf, 1944.