Sea Creature Lounge- The Art of the Film

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Sea Creature Lounge- The Art of the Film

Post by Lupine »

Haven't seen either of those. I thought Castle Freak looked a bit familiar at times but I don't think I've seen it.

"There's a monster in the castle!"
"My god! We should leave!"
"Why?"
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

"Best vacation ever!" :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :lol:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Animals are great. Yes, we here at the Sea Creature Lounge Drive-In Creature Double Feature are a bunch of animal lovers. And the only thing better than animals is talking animals. But there's nothing worse than live-action B-Movies about talking animals. Our theme this week is "You Can Shut Up Now." The concession stand will be serving vegan stuff. Don't worry, it's only temporary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1gjFrArYUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlo-sYrADlw

:popcorn: :redtea: :strangebrew: :wiggle:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Actually seen both of these! Howard the Duck is... interesting. :lol: :duck: Not sure what they were thinking here.
My mother was fond of Stuart Little and we still have the DVD set (with the sequel) around here somewhere. :mouse:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

It's really a shame about Howard because it was an amazing comic back in the 70s when Gerber was writing it.

Stuart actually looked pretty good, but I was desperate for something to pair with Howard. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

While we all love old movies, there's something that's almost as good: New old movies. Productions by filmmakers who understand that that old movies were the best and want to make more. Homages. Pastiches. Retro revivals. They keep the spirit of the past alive, like jazz festivals and Queen Anne architecture. Our theme this week is "Everything Old Is New Again-- And Let's Keep It That Way." The concession stand will be serving fried chicken and apple pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd5gWGfnK5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLEFqhS5WmI

:popcorn: :redtea: :strangebrew: :cthulhu:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I'm not sure if they ever actually made The Whisperer in the Darkness but it looks absolutely amazing. The novella is a favorite of mine and while this doesn't look like a completely faithful adaption it certainly captures the mood.
I've heard of Werewolf by Night comic-wise but I'm not familiar with it.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:35 pm
I'm not sure if they ever actually made The Whisperer in the Darkness but it looks absolutely amazing. The novella is a favorite of mine and while this doesn't look like a completely faithful adaption it certainly captures the mood.
They really did make it, and I have it. It's great. It was made by the HP Lovecraft Historical Society, who also made that silent-movie version of Call of Cthulhu a few years ago. The movie adaptation of Whisperer is pretty faithful, but kind of adds another chapter.
I've heard of Werewolf by Night comic-wise but I'm not familiar with it.
It really has next to nothing to do with the comic-- which is kind of unfortunate, since it was one of my favorites back in the 70s. And, weirdly, the Werewolf is more of a supporting character, so it should really have been called Bloodstone. But as a old movie homage, it's great stuff.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Since RJ was busy with cousins yesterday I'll open up the theater for another edition of Surreal Sunday! Be prepared to be bemused, bewildered, and befuddled. Today's theme is senselessness. Complete senselessness. The concession stand will be serving burritos but we're not going to be telling you what's inside. There will also be beverages. We don't know what they are but they're green.

https://youtu.be/-FgPDnxbcSk?si=WhSfT2CTdtGZebtv

https://youtu.be/CcJxN4PYjOg?si=VMxOWo87RcAZ3wnq

:wtf: :conf: :wtf: :conf: :wtf:
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ooohh, I love Surreal Sunday. :D

I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of either one of these, but they look wonderfully bad. And, hey, we've got Fred Gwynne in one and Broderick Crawford in the other. :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I saw Mysterious Stranger on TV ages ago and it has one of those endings that leaves one going "what the blazes just happened?" :lol:
My parents blind-rented Harlequin back in the 80s when the town still had a video rental place. The movie is somehow even weirder than the trailer.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:27 pm
I saw Mysterious Stranger on TV ages ago and it has one of those endings that leaves one going "what the blazes just happened?" :lol:
I wonder how closely it sticks to the source material. :lol:
My parents blind-rented Harlequin back in the 80s when the town still had a video rental place. The movie is somehow even weirder than the trailer.
Hmm. I see that the "complet" movie is available on YouTube... maybe I'll give it a try. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

One of the best-kept secrets in the universe is that the success of Star Wars spawned a bunch of blatant rip offs. Haha. Just kidding. All life forms are aware of the Star Wars Rip-Off Industry. It's listed on the NASDAQ 100 and outperforms the rest of the index. Some of these rip offs even made their way directly to our living rooms via an antiquated method of entertainment disbursement known as Broadcast TV. Our theme this week is "A Long Time Ago On A Network Affiliate Far Far Away." The concession stand will be serving Duncan Hines homemade brownies and glasses of whole 100% unmitigated milk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZXwUrGw2b4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUHkZPK1AY

:popcorn: :redtea: :strangebrew: :gun2: :saucer:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Funnily enough both had theatrical releases as well before migrating to TV. I have seen both in both versions. In the theatrical release of Battlestar Galactica Baltar gets killed off while he is spared on TV. In Buck Rogers Tiger Man gets a bomb stuck down his pants but is likewise spared the indignity on TV. Buck Rogers also got a rather off-the-wall opening sequence in the theaters.