2022 Politics: Pestilence and Turmoil.

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: 2022 Politics: Pestilence and Turmoil.

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:10 pm
That being said, I'm one of those odd ducks who think bribery should be illegal. :lol:
It's amazing how we've morally regressed as a nation :no:
Lupine wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:05 pm
Meanwhile...
Yesterday Trump was teasing a "Major Announcement". Today we know know what game-changing plans he has in mind! They are, wait for it.... a superhero themed NFT collection. :mellow:
My world is rocked.
Good God. I think I'm going to throw up.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Meanwhile...
Yesterday Trump was teasing a "Major Announcement". Today we know know what game-changing plans he has in mind! They are, wait for it.... a superhero themed NFT collection. :mellow:
My world is rocked.
Wow. :lol: Considering his track record in business ventures, Comrade Donald may be the first person in history to go broke underestimating the intelligence of the common people. :lol:
scottydog wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:56 pm
It's amazing how we've morally regressed as a nation :no:
Well, when you consider the bumpy ride of human civilization throughout history, I think we're still on the upside. :lol:

However, speaking of bumps. :wtf:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Meanwhile...
My world is rocked.
Which has backfired spectacularly!! :lol:

Trump HUMILIATES Himself As Disastrous Scam Unravels
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:48 pm

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
I can't tell what's parody or serious anymore. :no:
Gary wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:50 pm
scottydog wrote:
Lupine wrote:
Meanwhile...
My world is rocked.
Which has backfired spectacularly!! :lol:

Trump HUMILIATES Himself As Disastrous Scam Unravels
Even many of his one sycophants are cringing at this.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:10 pm
I can't tell what's parody or serious anymore. :no:
I know, I feel bad for The Onion. :(
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
All of that is bizarre and ridiculous. No wonder I felt the need to retire from teaching. These younger generations baffle and frustrate me.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:28 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
All of that is bizarre and ridiculous. No wonder I felt the need to retire from teaching. These younger generations baffle and frustrate me.
I've been laughing for years at people who say "Young people are very adept with technology these days." :lol: No, they aren't. Just because someone can operate a laptop, desktop, or a cell phone does not make that person proficient with technology. A business analyst I worked with seven years ago was disgusted at the number of new hires who didn't know how to use Word or Excel (the latter key to being a business analyst). Being "good with technology" meant these clowns set up a Facebook account. Whoop-tee-friggin'-doooooooo. Had one such know-it-all in one of my classes who claimed I was "afraid of technology" and "listened to too much conspiracy stuff" because I said I wasn't on any kind of social media. I loved it when he proved how much he knew about technology when he tried to play a presentation created on his Mac on the school's Dell :lol: Everyone else in the class jumped all over him (I remained very quiet in the back of the room).
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Hahaha. This oughtta be fun. Assuming the DOJ goes along with it. And I have a feeling they will.
This is just silly, though. Aside from the fact that the Righties will block it, I doubt if they could make it stick without a prior conviction. Just saying that "it's obvious" is not only wrong on an ethical level, but would set a very bad precedent if successful.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:47 pm
This is just silly, though. Aside from the fact that the Righties will block it, I doubt if they could make it stick without a prior conviction. Just saying that "it's obvious" is not only wrong on an ethical level, but would set a very bad precedent if successful.
Why? You've stated before that Trump should be pardoned for his involvement in the 1/6 insurrection, and I disagree. I think Ford set a bad precendent by pardoning Nixon for his involvement in Watergate. US Presidents have been treated a gods in the 20th Centuty, and I think that's nonsense. They are not above the law and therefore should expect to receive consequences for their actions. Why have laws if we don't enforce them, i.e. the 14th Amendment? Trump openly flouted the Rule of Law and demands/demanded he be reinstated as President. You need to supply more than just "it's silly" for a reasonable argument.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:36 pm
Why? You've stated before that Trump should be pardoned for his involvement in the 1/6 insurrection, and I disagree. I think Ford set a bad precendent by pardoning Nixon for his involvement in Watergate.
Ford did set a bad precedent-- by giving Nixon a blanket pardon for unspecific crimes before he was charged or convicted.
US Presidents have been treated a gods in the 20th Centuty, and I think that's nonsense.
By their own parties, maybe, but that's just another reason not to have parties. Aside from ReNext parties.
They are not above the law and therefore should expect to receive consequences for their actions. Why have laws if we don't enforce them, i.e. the 14th Amendment? Trump openly flouted the Rule of Law and demands/demanded he be reinstated as President.
Of course we should enforce the law. That's exactly what I'm saying. Blacklisting or Canceling or Cold-Shouldering or whatever it's being called this week is not the law. It's McCarthyism.
You need to supply more than just "it's silly" for a reasonable argument.
That wasn't the argument, that was the opinion-- the argument was that he hasn't been charged or convicted of a crime (i.e., enforcing the law). There has to be due process, not just a bunch of politicians who will say anything to make themselves look good to their constituents. I don't care if they're Right or Left or Up or Down or 3 Degrees to Starboard.

Here's what should happen:

1. Comrade Donald should be charged with sedition.
2. Comrade Donald should be convicted of sedition, rendering him ineligible to hold office and subject to an appropriate prison sentence.
3. Biden should then pardon him, on the premise that he has been granted due process and found guilty by a jury of his peers, as is the American way, and should now be released to his own custody because America should never be seen to imprison former leaders for political crimes.
4. This would not make him eligible to hold office again, or prevent him from being charged under State laws, or protect him from civil suits.

Looking at the big picture and the long haul, this is the best possible outcome.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Gary wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:36 pm
RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:47 pm
Why? You've stated before that Trump should be pardoned for his involvement in the 1/6 insurrection, and I disagree. I think Ford set a bad precendent by pardoning Nixon for his involvement in Watergate. US Presidents have been treated a gods in the 20th Centuty, and I think that's nonsense. They are not above the law and therefore should expect to receive consequences for their actions. Why have laws if we don't enforce them, i.e. the 14th Amendment? Trump openly flouted the Rule of Law and demands/demanded he be reinstated as President. You need to supply more than just "it's silly" for a reasonable argument.
One reason they should at least wait for an indictment at the very least is the fact that this could easily be weaponized. Consider Obama, who (a lot of) Republicans insisted wasn't a citizen. Imagine them running with this to bar him from running (rerunning) using this precedent. Or more likely using it to kneecap the most promising Democratic opponents during a Primary. Plus there's very, very little chance of this passing so it's just another case of political theater.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Right, exactly. It would be like letting the Vice President reject the results of an election. Also, I don't think the Supreme Court would buy it, no matter what the balance of power.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Well, yes and no to both of you because some of this stems to what is considered a Political Question wherein the SCOTUS has no say. I would have to dig out my Consitutional Law book to find one of the cases we studied where the Court stated it was not the proper authority to rule on the dispute due to the nature being a Political Question. Whether or not Congress can disqualify someone from running for office could very well fall into that category depending on the arguments presented. That being said, President Biden, and any future US President should in no way issue a pardon for Trump for any of his actions. He fully intended to use the position of President to enrich himself and ultimately to subvert the Constitution. That is clearly evident with all of his yammering that he needs to be reinstated no matter what.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »