2022 Politics: Pestilence and Turmoil.

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: 2022 Politics: Pestilence and Turmoil.

Post by RJDiogenes »

^^ Hey, somebody finally realized that you're not supposed to feed the trolls. :lol:
Gary wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:13 am
Well, yes and no to both of you because some of this stems to what is considered a Political Question wherein the SCOTUS has no say.
That would be bad, because it would mean that the political party in power could essentially disqualify any candidates who aren't in their party-- which means that there would only be one party in power forever, or at least until there's a real Civil War.
That being said, President Biden, and any future US President should in no way issue a pardon for Trump for any of his actions. He fully intended to use the position of President to enrich himself and ultimately to subvert the Constitution. That is clearly evident with all of his yammering that he needs to be reinstated no matter what.
We'll continue to disagree about that, but I forgot to mention one other cool aspect of a convicted Trump being shown mercy by his arch enemy: Comrade Donald's head would explode. Possibly literally. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Nothing would make me happier than seeing Trump rotting in prison where he belongs. But I acknowledge RJ's point that there are some benefits to pardoning him.

Or we could just abuse him like George Bailey and the good citizens of Bedford Falls abused Mr. Potter.

Here's an article about our now "Imperial" Supreme Court.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Gary wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:13 am
Well, yes and no to both of you because some of this stems to what is considered a Political Question wherein the SCOTUS has no say.
That would be bad, because it would mean that the political party in power could essentially disqualify any candidates who aren't in their party-- which means that there would only be one party in power forever, or at least until there's a real Civil War.
I think you're misinterpreting what I'm trying to say (or I am not properly wording my thoughts).

Political Question defined.
Political question is a subject matter that the Supreme Court deems to be inappropriate for judicial review because discretionary power over it should be left to the politically accountable branches of government (i.e., the President and Congress). Thus, the courts will leave constitutional questions on such matters to be resolved in the political process. Courts will usually find a matter to be a political question on one of two grounds: (1) the constitutional concern for separation of powers, where the Constitution has already committed the matter on other nonjudicial branches of government for decision making; and (2) prudential concerns which lead the Court to choose to refrain from adjudicating the matter. Also see Political Question Doctrine.
It could be a political question, but that all depends upon whether or not the issue is taken to Court and what arguments are presented.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:58 pm
That being said, President Biden, and any future US President should in no way issue a pardon for Trump for any of his actions. He fully intended to use the position of President to enrich himself and ultimately to subvert the Constitution. That is clearly evident with all of his yammering that he needs to be reinstated no matter what.
We'll continue to disagree about that, but I forgot to mention one other cool aspect of a convicted Trump being shown mercy by his arch enemy: Comrade Donald's head would explode. Possibly literally. :lol:
Captain Picard pretty much sums up my thoughts about this.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:14 am
Or we could just abuse him like George Bailey and the good citizens of Bedford Falls abused Mr. Potter.
Wow, I don't remember George leading a lynch mob against Potter. I guess I haven't seen it for a while. :lol:
Here's an article about our now "Imperial" Supreme Court.
Hmm....
“When the court used to rule in favor of the president, they would do so with a sort of humility,” she said. “They would say: ‘It’s not up to us to decide this. We will defer to the president. He wins.’ Now the court says, ‘The president wins because we think he’s right.’”
This is a bad thing? :lol:

By the way, that article is actually from the NYT. The site that you linked to is a plagiarism site run by some shadowy figure in Armenia. Yes, Armenia. Who would have thought. :lol:
Gary wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:08 pm
It could be a political question, but that all depends upon whether or not the issue is taken to Court and what arguments are presented.
Well, if I'm understanding it correctly, it means that calling it a political question would mean the Court allows it, which in turn means that the House could disqualify any random citizen from running for Federal office, without them having been charged or convicted of a crime.
I think that's the part that we agree on. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:25 pm
Gary wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:08 pm
Well, if I'm understanding it correctly, it means that calling it a political question would mean the Court allows it, which in turn means that the House could disqualify any random citizen from running for Federal office, without them having been charged or convicted of a crime.
If you aren't aware, but neither the House nor the Senate *must* seat an elected member. Either house, or any reason, can refuse to seat an individual. I believe that's only been done one or two times since the nation's founding.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:25 pm
I think that's the part that we agree on. :lol:
;)
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yeah, I was so shocked I forgot to be shocked.
If the IRS had handled a Democrat like this the Republicans would be running 20 different investigations by now.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

The Committee report on the insurrection is due to be made public today. I wonder if it will be available for download from the House site. The site will be constantly crashing for weeks if it is. :lol:
Gary wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:33 am
If you aren't aware, but neither the House nor the Senate *must* seat an elected member. Either house, or any reason, can refuse to seat an individual. I believe that's only been done one or two times since the nation's founding.
Actually, I did not know that. I'm surprised that the MAGA Minions haven't yet tried to weaponize that. But in any case, Congress shouldn't be able to willy nilly prevent people from running for office, especially president.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:13 pm
Gary wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:33 am
Actually, I did not know that. I'm surprised that the MAGA Minions haven't yet tried to weaponize that. But in any case, Congress shouldn't be able to willy nilly prevent people from running for office, especially president.
Willy nilly, no. But, these folks are being deliberate in their actions. I also forgot to mention each body of Congress can expel members as well.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:39 pm
Willy nilly, no. But, these folks are being deliberate in their actions. I also forgot to mention each body of Congress can expel members as well.
That, I knew. But the Constitution provides a pretty high bar for that. It's still worrisome that some Congress Critters think they should be able to prevent people from even running for office without there being any criminal charges or convictions.
I wonder if 1.6 billion would be enough to put them out of business. And if it is, will they try to settle.
Conflict of interest? What conflict of interest? :lol:

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^And worse, nothing will come of it despite the obvious corruption involved.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:01 pm
That will likely be the legacy of the whole Trump presidency debacle. The teflon mobster, the criminal mastermind who laid waste to legal and ethical rules with impunity.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Lupine wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:01 pm
Somebody in the IRS might get fired or something, but nobody will much care.
scottydog wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:57 pm
That will likely be the legacy of the whole Trump presidency debacle. The teflon mobster, the criminal mastermind who laid waste to legal and ethical rules with impunity.
We'll see. I think it's going to get interesting. :D

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »