I have fireflies!

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Orpheus
Censor
Censor

I have fireflies!

Post by Orpheus »

I've lived in this general suburban area of Boston off and on for almost 50 years. I don't recall if I saw fireflies up here as a child but they certainly weren't ever as plentiful as they were in Georgia. I think I may have seen a lone firefly once or twice in the past 20 years in the nature preserve across the street from my hose, but the sightings were so fleeting that I couldn't be sure, and the color was (first sighting) or orange (second sighting], not the chartreuse I was so accustomed to (though we did occasionally have orange or yellow fireflies around my house in Georgia).

Now I'm seeing predominantly blue-white, mostly with the fast pulsing of a recently uncovered species I only know from my friend Destin in Alabama, who some of you may know as "Smarter Every Day" on Youtube) but I've also seen occasional long duration (3-5 sec) specimens, which is characteristic of the Rare Blue Ghost fireflies only found in southern Appalachia. Thus far, the density has not been high enough to determine if they synchronize.. I'm going to have to do some research on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktp62UtKy1c