Questions Only VIII: Quizzical Quizzes

Talk about blogs, messageboards, and other social media like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and LiveJournal.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Questions Only VIII: Quizzical Quizzes

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:46 pm
Ray Bradbury is definitely somebody to listen to, but his advice may not work for everybody. I'm a little dubious about "Quantity Creates Quality." :lol: "Don't Think Too Hard" is good advice for the first draft, but you've got to get around to thinking eventually. "Don't Write Toward A Moral" is very true. If you write honestly about people, the moral will come, but if you try to force it then you've just got a sermon. It's the difference between having something to say and something to prove. "Read These Three Things Every Night" is great advice, although maybe a bit too specific. The idea is to fill your head with as much information and as great a variety of information as possible-- the more complex the inside of your head is, the better off you are. The other thing I really liked was "I am right and everybody else is wrong." It doesn't matter if that is true, you have to believe it in the story otherwise the story will be diluted.
I appreciate your commentary here. Your points make sense. And it's true that it's not one-size-fits-all. The key is to be self-aware. I know my writing tendencies and quirks, and I know what to do when I'm blocked, or avoiding, my writing. And I know what motivates me.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:46 pm
Are you reading Bradbury's writing advice because you're considering writing fiction?
You've ruined me when it comes to writing fiction. Your stories and poetry are so beyond what I can do, in terms of quality, that I have to ask myself: Why bother?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:00 am
You've ruined me when it comes to writing fiction. Your stories and poetry are so beyond what I can do, in terms of quality, that I have to ask myself: Why bother?
Great, I'm an anti-inspiration. :lol: Even if I was really that good, which is certainly iffy, that's really not the way to look at it-- otherwise there would have been no new writers since Shakespeare. :quill:

What about using Bradbury's "Quantity Over Quality" exercise?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:57 pm
Even if I was really that good, which is certainly iffy, that's really not the way to look at it-- otherwise there would have been no new writers since Shakespeare. :quill:
Your analogy to Shakespeare doesn't quite work, because the vast majority of writers since the Bard wrote outside of his genre. My problem is that if I became a writer, I'd write in your same preferred genre -- short stories in the sci-fi, horror, Twilight Zone genre. I will concede that while it's unlikely I could measure up to you, the point of writing isn't comparison to other writers but enjoyment. If I enjoy writing, who cares how good or bad it is?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:57 pm
What about using Bradbury's "Quantity Over Quality" exercise?
Hmmm. Your comment about this exercise was, and I quote, "I'm a little dubious about "Quantity Creates Quality." :lol:

I'm probably less dubious than you. I've been writing psychology articles for 40 years. I've written and published a ton of stuff and quite frankly, half of it stinks :lol: But that means I'm proud of the other half. So maybe there's some merit to the idea that enough monkeys pounding the typewriters will produce some classics.

What percentage of the stories you've written are you really proud of? It wouldn't surprise me to hear you say 100%. I think you put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into what you do.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:04 am
Your analogy to Shakespeare doesn't quite work, because the vast majority of writers since the Bard wrote outside of his genre.
Well, I was exaggerating for effect. It's a literary technique. :lol:
If I enjoy writing, who cares how good or bad it is?
Yes, exactly, you must write for yourself.
Hmmm. Your comment about this exercise was, and I quote, "I'm a little dubious about "Quantity Creates Quality." :lol:
Yes, but under the circumstances, where you're reluctant to write at all, it may be helpful.
I've been writing psychology articles for 40 years. I've written and published a ton of stuff and quite frankly, half of it stinks :lol: But that means I'm proud of the other half.
There you go. And I'm sure you feel that you've improved over time.
What percentage of the stories you've written are you really proud of? It wouldn't surprise me to hear you say 100%. I think you put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into what you do.
In a sense, I'm definitely proud of them all, because they all accomplished the goal I set for them. Some I definitely consider more impressive, such as my screenplays, because of the length and complexity and so forth.

Do you think Shakespeare's influence on Western literature has been exaggerated?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:23 am
Yes, exactly, you must write for yourself.
I have to believe that what I write is good, or at least respectable. I can't imagine being creative unless I respect the creative outcome.
RJDiogenes wrote:
In a sense, I'm definitely proud of them all, because they all accomplished the goal I set for them. Some I definitely consider more impressive, such as my screenplays, because of the length and complexity and so forth.
In that book of poetry you wrote, Large in Time, would you say there are some poems you think are better than others? I'd be surprised if you were equally proud of all of them.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Do you think Shakespeare's influence on Western literature has been exaggerated?
Not really. He was certainly a genius poet in his use of language, wordplay, and poetic techniques. Plus, in terms of content, he was genius in expressing universal themes of human existence in both tragedy and comedy formats. Do you think he's overrated?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:57 am
In that book of poetry you wrote, Large in Time, would you say there are some poems you think are better than others? I'd be surprised if you were equally proud of all of them.
Wow, that's pretty harsh. :lol: I just scrolled through it, and there are certainly a few that are minor tidbits, but I'm surprised at how much I like them, having not read most of them in years. "Plancktown" and "Time, Life, and the Reader's Digest" stand out for their surrealism; "Chestnut eyes" and "She asked me once if I ever pray" stand out as capturing a particular woman that I knew; and "An empty chair, a silent room" stands out as the poem I wrote when my Grandmother died. But there are quite a few that look surprisingly good to me after all these years.
Not really. He was certainly a genius poet in his use of language, wordplay, and poetic techniques. Plus, in terms of content, he was genius in expressing universal themes of human existence in both tragedy and comedy formats. Do you think he's overrated?
Yes and no. At some point, after being performed and quoted and homaged and adapted for so many centuries, his greatness became a self-fulfilling prophecy. And then there's this guy, who thinks that Shakespeare invented our concept of humanity, which is a bit of a stretch. That being said, Shakespeare excelled not only at plot and character, but mostly at distilling universal themes and experiences down to their pure essence in a very succinct and poetic way-- so I do think he mostly deserves his place.

Have you ever read Shakespeare's sonnets?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:23 am
Wow, that's pretty harsh. :lol:
Well, I didn't mean it to be harsh :lol: I asked because we all have our favorites among our creations. I know I do.
RJDiogenes wrote:
I just scrolled through it, and there are certainly a few that are minor tidbits, but I'm surprised at how much I like them, having not read most of them in years. "Plancktown" and "Time, Life, and the Reader's Digest" stand out for their surrealism; "Chestnut eyes" and "She asked me once if I ever pray" stand out as capturing a particular woman that I knew; and "An empty chair, a silent room" stands out as the poem I wrote when my Grandmother died. But there are quite a few that look surprisingly good to me after all these years.
I was blown away by the quality and the variety of poetic structures. You really do have significant talent. I've probably asked you this before, but have you ever submitted your poetry to competitions? Do they even have poetry competitions? :shrug:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Yes and no. At some point, after being performed and quoted and homaged and adapted for so many centuries, his greatness became a self-fulfilling prophecy. And then there's this guy, who thinks that Shakespeare invented our concept of humanity, which is a bit of a stretch. That being said, Shakespeare excelled not only at plot and character, but mostly at distilling universal themes and experiences down to their pure essence in a very succinct and poetic way-- so I do think he mostly deserves his place.
That's the problem with becoming larger than life. I'm actually mentioning this downside of being a hero in my entry on the definition of heroism. A hero who's been made to be larger than life is bound to be overrated to some extent, because no human can possibly be larger than life. It's too high a pedestal, and it's actually an unfair pedestal. So we're left with the paradox of needing these larger than life figures to inspire us and propel us forward, yet by making them larger than life we guarantee our disenchantment with them :lol:

The Beatles are my favorite band, but even I have to admit that they're overrated -- not because they're anything less than superb but because society has overworshipped them and overplayed their music. Would you agree?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Have you ever read Shakespeare's sonnets?
Yes, several of his sonnets, but none lately. The ones I read were excellent of course. I'm a bit disappointed that he compared thee to a summer's day when he should have compared thee to chocolate :lol: But I attribute that error to the inferiority of chocolate 400 years ago.

What other poets from yesteryear do you admire?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:43 am
Well, I didn't mean it to be harsh :lol: I asked because we all have our favorites among our creations. I know I do.
I know, I was just teasing. :lol:
I was blown away by the quality and the variety of poetic structures. You really do have significant talent. I've probably asked you this before, but have you ever submitted your poetry to competitions? Do they even have poetry competitions? :shrug:
Thank you very much. I don't recall ever submitting any poetry anywhere, just short stories.
The Beatles are my favorite band, but even I have to admit that they're overrated -- not because they're anything less than superb but because society has overworshipped them and overplayed their music. Would you agree?
Yes, some people have become obsessed with them. At this point, they've pretty much become a part of the fabric of culture, like Bach or Beethoven. And kids probably look at them as just as ancient. :lol:
But I attribute that error to the inferiority of chocolate 400 years ago.
Well, chocolate had barely reached Europe when Shakespeare lived so they hadn't had time to perfect it. :lol:
What other poets from yesteryear do you admire?
Robert Frost, mostly. He was a big influence on me as a kid. I loved the way he drew humanistic themes from nature.

Did you ever read the Bible?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:19 pm
I don't recall ever submitting any poetry anywhere, just short stories.
If those competitions exist, you should submit your poetry, even your old poetry from 20 years ago. I think you'd become Poet Laureate.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Yes, some people have become obsessed with them. At this point, they've pretty much become a part of the fabric of culture, like Bach or Beethoven. And kids probably look at them as just as ancient. :lol:
Very true. The Beatles deserve to be venerated. What two other bands from that era also deserve heroization?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Robert Frost, mostly. He was a big influence on me as a kid. I loved the way he drew humanistic themes from nature.
I should read more Frost. But I'm too lazy :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Did you ever read the Bible?
Bits and pieces. It's an infuriating piece of literature. So much of it is duller than dull. So much of it is utter bullshit. And yet so much of it also contains great wisdom. The makers did a terrible job of editing the final product.

Have you read any parts of the Quran?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:06 pm
If those competitions exist, you should submit your poetry, even your old poetry from 20 years ago. I think you'd become Poet Laureate.
I don't know about that, but I may see if I can track down some markets for poetry. Hopefully it will help spread my name around. :lol:
Very true. The Beatles deserve to be venerated. What two other bands from that era also deserve heroization?
There were a lot of great bands in those days, but in terms of innovation, both musically and lyrically, The Who springs to mind. Also CCR. Honorable mention goes to Cream, but they were more of a supergroup and they didn't do a lot.
I should read more Frost. But I'm too lazy :lol:
He's well worth it, but you have to be in a relaxed frame of mind with plenty of time-- you don't want to be in a rush.
Bits and pieces. It's an infuriating piece of literature. So much of it is duller than dull. So much of it is utter bullshit. And yet so much of it also contains great wisdom. The makers did a terrible job of editing the final product.
I read it when I was very young because it was quoted so often in the flying saucer books I was reading at the time. :lol: I found it a weird and fascinating look into an ancient civilization. I also skimmed the Apocrypha when I was older, which is even weirder.
Have you read any parts of the Quran?
No, no other religious tomes. I think I have a copy of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, but I haven't read it.

Why do you object to being eaten by raccoons?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:19 pm
There were a lot of great bands in those days, but in terms of innovation, both musically and lyrically, The Who springs to mind. Also CCR.
Those are two good choices. I've always maintained that while the Beatles are my favorite band, the greatest rock album of all time is Who's Next, which came out in 1971. Your favorite rock album?
RJDiogenes wrote:
I read it when I was very young because it was quoted so often in the flying saucer books I was reading at the time. :lol:
Wow. I had no idea that flying saucer books are quoting the Bible so much. That's pretty bizarre :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Why do you object to being eaten by raccoons?
I really don't object -- unless some dufus videos the gruesome eating, posts it on social media, and my being devoured by raccoons goes viral :lol:

Would you object at all to aliens taking your dead body back to their home planet, parading it around for onlookers to gawk it, and then being on display in one of their museums like your were part of some sort of freak show?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:03 am
Those are two good choices. I've always maintained that while the Beatles are my favorite band, the greatest rock album of all time is Who's Next, which came out in 1971. Your favorite rock album?
That's a tough one, since there are so many good albums. Maybe Bridge Over Troubled Water, if that's not too Folksy. Maybe Jesus Christ, Superstar, if a Rock Opera counts. For pure Rock, probably Boston, Boston's first album.
Wow. I had no idea that flying saucer books are quoting the Bible so much. That's pretty bizarre :lol:
Yeah, this was soon after Chariots of the Gods? had kicked off the Ancient Aliens thing.
Would you object at all to aliens taking your dead body back to their home planet, parading it around for onlookers to gawk it, and then being on display in one of their museums like your were part of some sort of freak show?
Is that the plot you're considering for your first short story? :lol: Very Twilight Zone-ish. I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, it's kind of undignified as you describe it-- on the other hand, being a part of an Alien Space Carnival would be pretty cool. :lol:

If you were at death's door and aliens offered to restore you to your youth on the condition that you travel around the galaxy with them to represent Humankind, would you do it?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:19 pm
That's a tough one, since there are so many good albums. Maybe Bridge Over Troubled Water, if that's not too Folksy. Maybe Jesus Christ, Superstar, if a Rock Opera counts. For pure Rock, probably Boston, Boston's first album.
Those are 3 good albums. I love Simon and Garfunkle, so of course BOTW is a great choice. And I love Andrew Lloyd Weber, so of course JC, S is also top-notch. And as for Boston, well, that's a timeless classic. It was a huge hit when I was in high school.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Is that the plot you're considering for your first short story? :lol: Very Twilight Zone-ish. I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, it's kind of undignified as you describe it-- on the other hand, being a part of an Alien Space Carnival would be pretty cool. :lol:
You'd almost be a hero, of sorts, because you'd be partly responsible for those aliens maybe one day establishing a relationship with the human race. So compared to being disemboweled by raccoons, being a novelty act in an alien carnival would be a big step forward :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
If you were at death's door and aliens offered to restore you to your youth on the condition that you travel around the galaxy with them to represent Humankind, would you do it?
Oh hell yeah! :lol: Well, now that I think about it, maybe there are some conditions. I would need to be treated with at least some semi-respect. If that had me in a cage and made me perform like a seal at Sea World, maybe I'd think twice.

If you could take your family and your ReNext friends with you to inhabit another Earth-like planet 12 lightyears away, would you do it? Wouldn't it depend on whether we had the skills to survive?
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:42 am
Those are 3 good albums. I love Simon and Garfunkle, so of course BOTW is a great choice. And I love Andrew Lloyd Weber, so of course JC, S is also top-notch. And as for Boston, well, that's a timeless classic. It was a huge hit when I was in high school.
"Peace of Mind" and "More Than A Feeling" are two of my all-time favorites.
You'd almost be a hero, of sorts, because you'd be partly responsible for those aliens maybe one day establishing a relationship with the human race. So compared to being disemboweled by raccoons, being a novelty act in an alien carnival would be a big step forward :lol:
Maybe a new administration would take over and award reparations for my descendants. Of course, I have no kids, so my descendants would have to be human-alien hybrids built from my stolen DNA. :lol:
Oh hell yeah! :lol: Well, now that I think about it, maybe there are some conditions. I would need to be treated with at least some semi-respect. If that had me in a cage and made me perform like a seal at Sea World, maybe I'd think twice.
And no probing!
If you could take your family and your ReNext friends with you to inhabit another Earth-like planet 12 lightyears away, would you do it? Wouldn't it depend on whether we had the skills to survive?
I've thought of that. Not another planet, but an artificial habitat like the one in Spacious Skies. Of course, we wouldn't really need any skills to survive since it would be all automated. :lol:

Did you ever get the urge to abandon society and go live in a cabin in the deep woods?

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:00 pm
"Peace of Mind" and "More Than A Feeling" are two of my all-time favorites.
Two fabulous songs :thumbsup:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Maybe a new administration would take over and award reparations for my descendants. Of course, I have no kids, so my descendants would have to be human-alien hybrids built from my stolen DNA. :lol:
We now have an outline for a TV miniseries :tv:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Of course, we wouldn't really need any skills to survive since it would be all automated. :lol:
Where would our food come from? Are you assuming we have a Star Trek replicator?
RJDiogenes wrote:
Did you ever get the urge to abandon society and go live in a cabin in the deep woods?
Not really. I'm much more of a social creature than you are, which means I'd get lonely in those woods. But I do have a couple of friends besides you who would abandon society in a heartbeat.

I asked ChatGPT to list the challenges of such a lifestyle. Would any of these challenges concern you?

Abandoning society and living alone in a cabin deep in the woods might seem appealing to some, but it also comes with significant challenges and considerations. Here are some of the challenges you might face:

1. **Isolation and Loneliness:** One of the most significant challenges is the potential for extreme isolation and loneliness. Human beings are social creatures, and prolonged solitude can have negative effects on mental and emotional well-being.

2. **Limited Access to Resources:** Living deep in the woods means limited access to essential resources such as food, clean water, and medical care. You would need to develop self-sufficiency skills like hunting, farming, and water purification.

3. **Security and Safety:** Being alone in a remote area might expose you to safety risks. You could be vulnerable to wildlife, extreme weather conditions, and the potential lack of emergency assistance.

4. **Psychological Challenges:** Solitude and the absence of social interactions can lead to psychological challenges such as depression, anxiety, and a sense of disconnection from the world.

5. **Practical Skills:** Surviving in a remote location requires a wide range of practical skills, including building shelter, starting fires, foraging, and first aid. Lack of these skills can make day-to-day life difficult.

6. **Physical Health:** Remote living might lack access to medical care, making it challenging to manage health issues or emergencies. Additionally, physical labor and demanding living conditions can take a toll on your body.

7. **Boredom and Mental Stimulation:** Without the variety and mental stimulation of modern life, you might face periods of boredom and lack of purpose.

8. **Long-Term Sustainability:** Sustainable living in the woods requires careful planning and management of resources. Balancing the ecological impact of your presence can be challenging.

9. **Legal and Regulatory Challenges:** Depending on where you decide to live, there might be legal or regulatory challenges related to property ownership, land use, and zoning.

10. **Cultural and Emotional Adjustment:** Returning to society after a prolonged period of isolation can be challenging. You might need to readjust to social norms, technology, and the pace of modern life.

11. **Financial Considerations:** Depending on your resources, it might be financially challenging to sustain yourself while living remotely. Expenses for building, maintenance, and obtaining necessities can add up.

12. **Limited Access to Amenities:** You might miss out on modern amenities such as entertainment, technology, healthcare, and conveniences that are readily available in society.