General Videos

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Re: General Videos

Post by Lupine »

An interesting video on why Cosmic Horror might not be scary and that's OK.
For me, reading the likes of Lovecraft and his Cthulhu Mythos, I don't find most of it scary or even unsettling. Tales like The Colour Out Of Space are indeed creepy, but for the most part the idea of "Cosmic Bliss" does resonate. On some scale finding the forbidden island Cthulu lives or the lost city of the Old Ones in Antarctica or the entrance to some subterranean realm like in Shadow Out Of Time would be incredible. To know that there is something beyond merely this. A daily life beyond the four walls, cycles of eating, sleeping, and the endless motion of getting by. Would finding Cthulhu or a Shoggoth or even a living T-rex be scary?
Yes.
But also wonderful that there's a world out there where such things can still exist.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That was good, and he makes a very good point. I'm the same way. Stories like that don't really scare me so much as excite me with that good old sense of wonder-- the wonder of ideas. It's not too different from Science Fiction in that regard. Maybe Lovecraft's characters went mad only because they fought it, rather than giving in to the bliss. :cooldude:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Nice. :lol:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That guy cracks me up. :lol: