Quantum Leap II, Season One - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Quantum Leap II, Season One - SPOILERS!

Post by RJDiogenes »

It seems that after many years of talk, the Quantum Leap sequel series has finally come to fruition. It's a direct sequel, although Scott Bakula is not involved (as yet), but it appears that the show will follow the original's format and continuity, so kudos to them for that. Let's hope that the quality is as high as the original.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: Quantum Leap II, Season One - SPOILERS!

Post by Gary »

Is The QUANTUM LEAP Reboot D.O.A.? | SCOTT BAKULA Invited To Return?!

I watched the show last night. The commercial breaks confirmed the show will re-play the next day on Peacock, but I wonder if that will still be free or if someone has to have a basic account. Anyway, last night's show is an example of why I watch very little programming from any of the networks. The acting is forced and stiff with the biggest offender being Addision Augustine. What's missing is a lot of "Oh shit, think fast" as what happpened with Al and Sam in the original. They didn't discuss the Swiss Cheese effect of leaping, and why wasn't the Waiting Room mentioned? Did t hey forget that whomever Ben leaps into will in turn be in the future?

The jury is still out on this one for me. Also, there should have been a slower build-up of background characters, like Al's daughter. That's another reason why I abhor network TV shows -- plot elements don't evolve anymore. They're always ham-fisted into the storyline.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Gary wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:24 am
I watched the show last night. The commercial breaks confirmed the show will re-play the next day on Peacock, but I wonder if that will still be free or if someone has to have a basic account.
I didn't see the show so I'll meander over to Peacock to see if I have an account there. I agree with you about the unwillingness of modern movies and TV shows to devote time to adequate character development.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Maybe it's a reboot, after all. No Swiss cheese memory? No waiting room?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:54 pm
Maybe it's a reboot, after all. No Swiss cheese memory? No waiting room?
Not a reboot. It is a sequel as there are plenty of callbacks and references to the original project.

Here is a better review/summation: ‘Quantum Leap’ Review: NBC’s Time-Travel Reboot Gets Sucked Into an Exposition Vortex
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Very interesting. They show pictures of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, so bonus points for that. Presumably the project was shut down when Sam disappeared entirely, but I wonder what inspired them to restart it now. I have a feeling that Leapers are involved, perhaps Sam, perhaps the Evil Leaper, perhaps both, perhaps someone else.

Did they specifically say that he can only leap within his lifetime, like Sam? If so, they won't have quite the same rich history to plunder.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:08 pm
Very interesting. They show pictures of Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, so bonus points for that. Presumably the project was shut down when Sam disappeared entirely, but I wonder what inspired them to restart it now. I have a feeling that Leapers are involved, perhaps Sam, perhaps the Evil Leaper, perhaps both, perhaps someone else.

Did they specifically say that he can only leap within his lifetime, like Sam? If so, they won't have quite the same rich history to plunder.
There are hints about what timeframe he is [supposed to be] able to leap in the closing previews for the Season. And well, you know...
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Actually, I'm remembering that they started to fudge on that a bit in the last season, when they were trying to liven things up a bit. Sam was able to leap back to the Civil War because of some ancestral genetic thing. Or something along those lines.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:47 pm
Actually, I'm remembering that they started to fudge on that a bit in the last season, when they were trying to liven things up a bit. Sam was able to leap back to the Civil War because of some ancestral genetic thing. Or something along those lines.
Get a Roku and you can catch up via Peacock rebroadcasts the next day! :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

For free? Cool, there's one more reason to sign up for Roku.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:28 pm
For free? Cool, there's one more reason to sign up for Roku.
I'm telling you, there is so much good, free stuff that you'll regret having dragged your feet. Peacock is currently nagging me to sign up for the $1.99/mo deal for even more content.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Okay, I resolve to do it tomorrow. I should have time.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I kept my resolution for once, and signed up. So far it looks like only the Roku Channel itself is available on my laptop, which doesn't give me access to Peacock (or my friend's Drive-In Monsters Channel). Now I'm trying to figure out if one of their devices can be plugged directly into my laptop. :lol:

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:35 pm
I kept my resolution for once, and signed up. So far it looks like only the Roku Channel itself is available on my laptop, which doesn't give me access to Peacock (or my friend's Drive-In Monsters Channel). Now I'm trying to figure out if one of their devices can be plugged directly into my laptop. :lol:
Yes, the device should be able to plug into your laptop. I bought a basic unit for $29 as I didn't like the idea of having a voice activated controller.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Okay, great. I saw the $29 device, so that's what I'll get.