Quantum Leap II, Season One - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: Quantum Leap II, Season One - SPOILERS!

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:31 pm
Ah, okay. He was promoted. I'd love to see them get into that.
I think they had planned to do that; however, Bakula apparently did not like the direction of the reboot and opted out. What I don't like is the reboot ignores Sammy Jo Fuller.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Maybe they'll bring her in at some point. It's been thirty years, so who knows what happened to her-- she could have gotten herself lost in time, or been unable to cope with not bringing Sam back, or even been altered by a timeline change. Or maybe Sam went to her, since he's bouncing around on his own now.

I wonder what Bakula didn't like about the reboot. If it was the money, maybe he could still be talked into it.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:58 pm
Maybe they'll bring her in at some point. It's been thirty years, so who knows what happened to her-- she could have gotten herself lost in time, or been unable to cope with not bringing Sam back, or even been altered by a timeline change. Or maybe Sam went to her, since he's bouncing around on his own now.

I wonder what Bakula didn't like about the reboot. If it was the money, maybe he could still be talked into it.
I saw something recently that discussed this. Apparently, Bakula had Tweeted a picture of Sam as a woman as a response to an inquriey why he wasn't in the new QL (or something to that effect). That's been interpreted to mean the new QL is too serious and is missing the 'fun' elements of the original series.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Too bad. He should have thrown his weight around and pushed for more more lighthearted elements.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Ben had leapt into a young teen in 1996 who was part of a group fleeing one of those youth rehabilitation camps. Their plan was to reach Reno where each could go a separate way. The group had been found dead in the original history having died from a lack water, but it was reported they were killed in a vehicle wreck. The Jeep they stole had experienced a tire blow-out whereupon the driver lost control and rolled down a hill. Ben had leaped into the scene right as the group were escaping.

Meanwhile, the folks at QL HQ were on lockdown after having attempted to locate Janis. Remember, Janis had built her own imaging chamber and had stolen her dad's old communicator a while back. Jenn (security expert) postulated since the Imaging Chamber requires massive amounts of power to operate that she should review recent electrical usage stats of the area to isolate her location. No sooner had she located Janis that HQ suffered a power interruption. Seems Janis had also hacked into the security cameras to keep an eye on the folks at HQ in case they figured out about her. That's when she activated the power disruption so she could buy time to gather some items and flee.

Ben learned through his time with the others that the youth camp was one of those whacked out places where "rehabilitation" basically means torture. He didn't want the four of them to just flee, but rather bring the evils of the camp to the public conscience. One of the teens had an uncle who lived nearby who was also a television news reporter. Three of the group were able to reach him after an injured member had sacrificed herself to save the others when their pursuers found them. The hero uncle came rolling in with his associates in a newsvan just as the youth camp folks were about to put the injured girl in a hotbox.

Ben's memory became more clear just as the story was closing, as memories which were triggered after the Leap started becoming more clear. Ben had collaborated with Janis prior to his leaping after working out some calculations. The pieces came together as he told Addison he remembered the reason why he decied to leap. Unfortunately, he leaped just after he stated, "It was to save you".

And we won't know more until January.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:44 pm
Ben had leapt into a young teen in 1996 who was part of a group fleeing one of those youth rehabilitation camps.
Good plot material.
Remember, Janis had built her own imaging chamber and had stolen her dad's old communicator a while back. Jenn (security expert) postulated since the Imaging Chamber requires massive amounts of power to operate that she should review recent electrical usage stats of the area to isolate her location.
Presumably she was stealing it, so that answers part of my question. We still have to find out how she built a Leaping Portal in her house-- unless her hacking allowed her to bill Google for everything or something like that.
Seems Janis had also hacked into the security cameras to keep an eye on the folks at HQ in case they figured out about her. That's when she activated the power disruption so she could buy time to gather some items and flee.
Janis is a pill, but is clearly going to turn out to be a good guy.
The hero uncle came rolling in with his associates in a newsvan just as the youth camp folks were about to put the injured girl in a hotbox.
Nice. How did the timeline change, aside from the kids being saved?
Ben had collaborated with Janis prior to his leaping after working out some calculations. The pieces came together as he told Addison he remembered the reason why he decied to leap. Unfortunately, he leaped just after he stated, "It was to save you".
So that must be the reason that he must leap into the future-- although, since Addison is currently okay and the present is the past of the future, you'd think he wouldn't have to leap anywhere to save her. Janis must have gotten some information from that guy who doesn't know he's the Evil Leaper yet.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:33 pm
The hero uncle came rolling in with his associates in a newsvan just as the youth camp folks were about to put the injured girl in a hotbox.
Nice. How did the timeline change, aside from the kids being saved?
One of them got married and moved to another State while the other moved out East and (I think) was operating a shelter for troubled youth (also had a large family). I can't remember what the third person did.
RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:33 pm
Ben had collaborated with Janis prior to his leaping after working out some calculations. The pieces came together as he told Addison he remembered the reason why he decied to leap. Unfortunately, he leaped just after he stated, "It was to save you".
So that must be the reason that he must leap into the future-- although, since Addison is currently okay and the present is the past of the future, you'd think he wouldn't have to leap anywhere to save her. Janis must have gotten some information from that guy who doesn't know he's the Evil Leaper yet.
We don't know that the other person is an "Evil" leaper. He merely confronted Ben, while it's also interesting that he readily knew who Ben is (Ben's memory is working better than Sam's by this point in leaping).
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That would be a relief if the other Leaper is not an Evil Leaper-- although I would certainly be happy to see them follow up on that thread from the original show at some point.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Quantum Leap has been renewed for a second season.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's great. It seems like a pretty good sequel. And it says that they're only halfway through their episodes, so they must have gotten a full, old-school order for season one.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:08 pm
That's great. It seems like a pretty good sequel. And it says that they're only halfway through their episodes, so they must have gotten a full, old-school order for season one.
Season 1 had been planned to break in October with a return in January. Seems there was enough interest to meet the requirement for a second season. Hopefully, the show does not go off the rails. The storyline is a bit complex already.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Looks like there are a total of 18 episodes in the first season, which is a lot these days.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

QL returned this week with Ben leaping into the bodyguard of a female singer in 1979. She had been killed in what was considered to be a freak accident when a lighting rig fell on her during rehearsal; however, Addison had alerted Ben who promptly saved her. The problem was the killer had changed tactics and had set up the singer's sister for murder, thus prompting Ben to figure out how to out the killer. Meanwhile, the folks at QL headquarters figured out where Janice Calavicci would be given after repurposing code used for Ziggy to determine the probablity of what the team would do once she was discovered. Jenn caught up with Janics and promptly brought her into custody. The team wants to know how Ben knew something would happen to Addiston which would require her to be saved (Note: Not killed. SAVED) in the future. That was the sole reason behind his leaping. He needed to slingshot through Time to get to a point in the future, which is something Magic said should be impossible.

Ben managed to leap and, true to QL tradition, has leaped into the body of a woman. Janice has dared the team to get her to talk, so we're at an impasse for the time being.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:57 pm
QL returned this week with Ben leaping into the bodyguard of a female singer in 1979. She had been killed in what was considered to be a freak accident when a lighting rig fell on her during rehearsal
Oh, boy.
Meanwhile, the folks at QL headquarters figured out where Janice Calavicci would be
That was quick.
The team wants to know how Ben knew something would happen to Addiston which would require her to be saved (Note: Not killed. SAVED) in the future. That was the sole reason behind his leaping. He needed to slingshot through Time to get to a point in the future, which is something Magic said should be impossible.
I still don't get this. If something is going to happen to Addison that needs to be prevented, why does he need to slingshot into the future when the present is already in the past of the future?

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:17 pm
The team wants to know how Ben knew something would happen to Addiston which would require her to be saved (Note: Not killed. SAVED) in the future. That was the sole reason behind his leaping. He needed to slingshot through Time to get to a point in the future, which is something Magic said should be impossible.
I still don't get this. If something is going to happen to Addison that needs to be prevented, why does he need to slingshot into the future when the present is already in the past of the future?
That's the big mystery to be unraveled. Ben apparently only trusted Janice with his reasons and not anyone else at QL. That caused some tension with Addison while Ben's safe fallback is his memory still isn't clear.