Quantum Leap II, Season One - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Re: Quantum Leap II, Season One - SPOILERS!

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:19 pm
Well, no electro-shock in this episode, but a VERY close call with a lobotomy :Ahhh:
Yikes. That's creepy.
One of the main issues with the hospital is the doctor who ran it performed a lot of gruesome experiments on the patients in the name of medicine.
Cool. A genuine Mad Scientist.
She took that information back to the team, whereupon Ian found the files from Sam's day which discussed "Evil Leapers".
Good, they're acknowledging the Evil Leaper. Although the Evil Leaper was actually a Doing-Bad-Things-Under-Duress Leaper, I think. Or was there more than one?
She had determined Ben's leaps were calculated in such a way that he absolutely had to survive this one, because two Leapers meant someone would not be able to leap if history were not properly changed.
That's interesting.
Unfortunately, when Ben was ascending the ladder and almost out, Martinez stabbed him in the neck with a scalpel.
Maybe he is an Evil Leaper.
Ben had mere minutes to figure out a means of survival before he would die in his host's body and be stuck in the past. He was able to get to safety and get the attention of two nurses leaving the hospital for the day, thereby ensuring his leaping.
That's weird. I don't see why dying would prevent his leaping-- and if it did, wouldn't that strand Martinez? Since the past was changed, it seems like his corpse would leap to the next assignment and he'd be trapped there, with the person that he replaced trapped in the future. Or would dying just send him home? Since the Bartender would know that he is now useless? :D
She explained some of the odd occurrences with Ben's leaps and the ensuing actions before stating the mole in the organization is Ziggy. This will be interesting to see where the story goes from here.
The mole is the computer? Interesting indeed! Especially since it means they can't really trust anything that Ziggy tells them about the shifting timeline.
Remember, Martinez is in the future. Judging by his age compared to when the team found him in the present, he is about 15 - 20 years in the future. So, the big question is: "What exactly happened with the program during Ben's leaps?"
Right, he may not be an Evil Leaper from another project-- he may be Ben's successor.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

This time, Ben had leaped into a flight attendant on a jumbo jet back in the 1970s that was making a trans-Atlantic flight. Seems the writers are throwing Ben into more women than Sam ever had to deal with. This leap meant a lack of Ziggy as the team powered off Ziggy early on since future Ziggy knows everything they've done.

The plane had crashed under mysterious circumstances in the original history. Turns out it was a hijacking that had gone south. One of the passengers who played a key role was the teen son of the owner of the airline. It was the typical kid ignored by his parents all the time, blah blah blah. The hijackers were the kid's personal security guard and the co-pilot. The co-pilot had poisoned the captain and the navigator in order to take over the cockpit. Meanwhile, the Team had to use the Internet as a source of information for piecing the details from both the known history and Ben's interactions with the passengers and crew.

Ben and the kid were able to rely on old-fashioned chemistry to mix a gaseous solution to slip into the cockpit ventilation and incapacitate the co-pilot and security guard. Unfortunately, the passengers had tried fighting back against the hijackers which had resulted in gunfire. A stray bullet had cut one of the hydraulic lines, which is probably the reason the flight had originally crashed.

The Team had determined the hydraulics could be manually bypassed in order to regain control of the plane. The kid had very good knowledge of the plane's systems and went below decks to reroute. Addison went to watch the kid, while Ian had joined her in the imaging chamber to help Ben land the plane in Puerto Rico. The plane safely landed and Ben leaped; however, his quantum signature could not be located (Ziggy is not required for that). The scene had cut to Ben in a building that appeared to have been severely damaged. Turns out he had returned to the QL lab. The lab is destroyed with snow falling all around. An older, disheveled Ian comes out of the background to greet Ben. He realizes he has leaped into the future.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:36 pm
This leap meant a lack of Ziggy as the team powered off Ziggy early on since future Ziggy knows everything they've done.
So... was the mole future Ziggy or current Ziggy?
The Team had determined the hydraulics could be manually bypassed in order to regain control of the plane. The kid had very good knowledge of the plane's systems and went below decks to reroute.
Another trick that sounds kind of Trekkish. :D
The scene had cut to Ben in a building that appeared to have been severely damaged. Turns out he had returned to the QL lab. The lab is destroyed with snow falling all around. An older, disheveled Ian comes out of the background to greet Ben. He realizes he has leaped into the future.
Nice. Kind of a "Days of Future Past" vibe. So did Ben actually Leap into somebody in the future, or is he now disconnected from that "hosting" requirement, like Sam ultimately was?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

It appears Ben is himself in the future. I'll know for certain after the next episode. One detail I missed about the current incarnation of QL is a subtle change in the leaping process causes the leaper and the target to merge, rather than switch bodies. The show does play off on the Swiss-cheese memory but never directly mentions it. When Ben sees Ian in the future, he does recognize Ian.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

So there's nobody in the waiting room anymore? Interesting.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

A Superb Quantum Leap Finale Breaks All the Rules

I couldn't remember the details of the season finale, so I found a good summary for you all to read.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I take it that means you didn't think much of it. :lol:

I probably didn't follow all that perfectly, since I don't have firsthand knowledge of the show, but it sounds pretty interesting. They certainly make more use of the time travel concept than the original show did.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:30 pm
I take it that means you didn't think much of it. :lol:

I probably didn't follow all that perfectly, since I don't have firsthand knowledge of the show, but it sounds pretty interesting. They certainly make more use of the time travel concept than the original show did.
No, I was into it. I wasn't in the frame of mind to post a summary while out of town, and by the time I returned I basically forgot all of the details.

Do some Google searching to find deals for a Peacock membership. I remember I picked up a 1-year subscription for .99.mo. It's been worth it as one of the movies in my queue is Zulu Dawn (young Michael Caine).
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

I just don't know if I'd ever watch it. I hardly ever watch Paramount. I may even drop it when Picard is over, unless some new Star Trek show is announced.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:22 pm
I just don't know if I'd ever watch it. I hardly ever watch Paramount. I may even drop it when Picard is over, unless some new Star Trek show is announced.
Uh, SNW S2. You really ought to watch Lower Decks. It's fantastic.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

True, I do want to see SNW season 2. Coincidentally, the trailer came out today, so I'll start a thread if there already isn't one. I've watched a little bit of Lower Decks and Prodigy and they're not bad, but I just can't take Trek cartoons seriously.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:50 pm
True, I do want to see SNW season 2. Coincidentally, the trailer came out today, so I'll start a thread if there already isn't one. I've watched a little bit of Lower Decks and Prodigy and they're not bad, but I just can't take Trek cartoons seriously.
Riker has a cameo in SLD. Loved S2 and cannot wait for S3.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ah, interesting. That must be from his pre-kid Titan days.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:40 pm
Ah, interesting. That must be from his pre-kid Titan days.
Nope!
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Oh, that's weird. I thought Lower Decks took place shortly after Nemesis. What's the time frame?