Upgrade to 3.3.8

General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Upgrade to 3.3.8

Post by huggle »

and yet another upgrade. Theoretically, it was successful.
Practically, however, the template keeps flickering on and off - I haven't found out yet what causes this problem but I'm trying to. It might have something to do with malfunctions the server experienced during the last 2 weeks. There was a huge spike of failures on Oct 23rd and several smaller ones afterwards. Most problems appear to come from ExIsle, but several originated from ReNext. I am waiting for the techs to give me the server logs so that I can find out what might be behind all this.

If you, too, encounter the template bug, please hit the F5 key. This will empty your browser's cache and the purple template should then display properly.
Alas, I don't know a quick solution if you log in from a cell phone. You'd have to empty your browser's cache manually. The necessary command will be hidden in the depths of your browser settings. The location is different for different browsers.

Please report any other bugs you might encounter. We are now on the most recent phpBB-version and it is still a bit young and not yet fully tried so that there might be some teething problems.

If there is a problem, please be patient: I have a very busy week and shall not be able to tinker with the board before Friday afternoon.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

off topic

Post by huggle »

Off topic:

on Saturday next week the domain SDG3.com will celebrate its 20est birthday.

SDG, from which the domain has its name, was the first board I hosted and - like Renext - a rescue board. Originally, it was an EZ board. It belonged to a friend whos boss permitted him to host a copy of the board (SDG #2) on the office's server. When my friend switched to a different company that didn't permit private software on their servers, we needed a server quickly (for SDG #3) and I rented one from Lunarpages. It was called Neptune as Lunarpages used to name all their servers after spatial objects. So you might justly claim that SDG3.com was born in the age of Aquarius :D
Later, we switched to Pluto, then to Orion and at last to Andromeda (an omen if ever there was one since the latest board in the sdg3-family is ExIsle, an Andromeda fan board)

A few years ago, Lunarpages got bought by Hostpapa and my contract simply continued with them. They also kept the server, though they number them instead of giving them pretty names. So the server was renamed to s141 but below that surface it's still our trusty old Andromeda.
I might be a bit sentimental but because of the name and our long history together I declined the offer to be swapped to a newer and faster server. I hope that's ok with you, now that you know the background.
As Andromeda is rather oldish now (more than a decade), you'd lighten its burden by please not opening several tabs at once. Each tab counts as onother simultaneous request and the server can't handle as many as a modern server can. I believe 26 or 29 at the same time is the limit it can deal with before calling for help by releasing a flock of error messages.
I'll lower the flood limit to 1 second to enable faster posting.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away