update and changes

General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

update and changes

Post by huggle »

The board has been upgraded today. We are now running the latest software and it'll very likely have teething problems.
Please report any difficulties to me. I shall fix them coming weekend.

You may notice differences:
there are only 15 smilies displayed when you post. Don't worry: the other smilies are still there, only they slipped to page 2. Just click "view more smilies" and there they are.
Also, the number of posts displayed per page has been reduced from 25 to 15. Again, none got lost - the missing ones are on the next page.

The resaon for these changes is that our server is a bit oldish (12 or 14 I believe) and can handle only a certain number of requests at the same time. Every post and every smilie less to load will make the page build up faster and with less flaws.
For the same reason, please don't open several tabs at the same time. Each tab will be handled by the server as a new request and it must load everything again. During the last weeks that has led to errors. Most at ExIsle but also a few here.

To make up for this, I lowered the flood interval to 1 second. That is a long time for a server and should be quite a challenge for even the fastest poster.

I apologize for the inconvenience. If it turns out that these measures don't help the server to stabilize, I'll switch back to the old settings and apply for a transfer to a more modern one but I am attached to this one and would like to avoid a move.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away