2023 Politics: No One Could Have Predicted This.

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Re: 2023 Politics: No One Could Have Predicted This.

Post by scottydog »

The amazing thing is that Santos was caught red-handed as a total fraud, yet he refused to step down. He's totally shameless, the very definition of a soul-less, shameless psychopath :no:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:43 am
The amazing thing is that Santos was caught red-handed as a total fraud, yet he refused to step down. He's totally shameless, the very definition of a soul-less, shameless psychopath :no:
In other words, he is a perfect representation of a majority of the Republican party.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :lol:
I'm still surprised he got as far as he did without being called out sooner.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

He's really not that different from many other Congress Critters, yet he was expelled and that guy in Texas was impeached. What is it about these two that other Republicans cannot stomach them?
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

The Republican majority is thin but I would be surprised if it actually flipped before the next election.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:07 pm
The Republican majority is thin but I would be surprised if it actually flipped before the next election.
The infighting will most certainly intensify as the fringe (aka Trumpers) are really pissing off the big donors and also the established old guard. They do not instill as much fear as before and, I believe, the cannibalism will start with them being the prime targets.

Now, what's interesting is Nikki Haley is gaining ground in the GOP race for the nomination. DeSantis is struggling and looks more and more like the absolute moron he is while big donors (the Koch's) are backing Haley. Trump has nicknamed her "birdbrain" which she laughs off, and I think shows he is becoming more irrelevant as his criminal trials proceed or get started.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

“Our willingness to self mutilate on these things really impairs our ability to get the job done,” Gaetz lamented[.] That's hilarious. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:07 pm
Yeah, I don't foresee any more unscheduled departures-- unless it's Gaetz himself, if he gets hit with any solid charges.
Gary wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:35 pm
Now, what's interesting is Nikki Haley is gaining ground in the GOP race for the nomination. DeSantis is struggling and looks more and more like the absolute moron he is while big donors (the Koch's) are backing Haley. Trump has nicknamed her "birdbrain" which she laughs off, and I think shows he is becoming more irrelevant as his criminal trials proceed or get started.
Yeah, she's gained a lot of ground, and will gain more as candidates drop out (as someone did today). Chris Christie has been doing better as well, and he's openly anti-Donald. As the criminal trials get underway, those big donors are going to be fretting more and more.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:21 pm
Gary wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:35 pm
Yeah, she's gained a lot of ground, and will gain more as candidates drop out (as someone did today). Chris Christie has been doing better as well, and he's openly anti-Donald. As the criminal trials get underway, those big donors are going to be fretting more and more.
Christie has been anti-Trump for well over a year or so, which started on the Meet the Press. He has openly taunted Trump supporters who booed him for talking negatively about Trump.

Another commentary (which I cannot find) mocked DeSantis for debating Gavin Newsome since Newsome is not running for President (yet).
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :wtf:
He's screwed.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:33 pm
Christie has been anti-Trump for well over a year or so, which started on the Meet the Press. He has openly taunted Trump supporters who booed him for talking negatively about Trump.
He recently got a nice bump in the New Hampshire polls.
Gary wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:11 pm
Gold bars found in Sen. Bob Menendez’s home linked to 2013 armed robbery: report

Well, that was certainly unexpected.
What the hell? That's like an Uncle Duke storyline in Doonesbury. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:06 pm
^ :wtf:
He's screwed.
Very screwed. I wonder what the record is for Congress Critters being drummed out of Congress in one year.

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Looks like Kevin McCarthy is hitting the eject button.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

You'd think they'd instruct witnesses to turn off their cell phones. :lol:
Lupine wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:16 pm
Looks like Kevin McCarthy is hitting the eject button.
That surprises me a little bit. Between narrowing their majority and giving Gaetz the satisfaction, I would have guessed that he'd hang in there.