2023 Politics: No One Could Have Predicted This.

Gather here to discuss elections, laws, and the issues of the day.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Gary
Senator
Senator

Re: 2023 Politics: No One Could Have Predicted This.

Post by Gary »

^^I saw the deal with McCarthy earlier. I am morbidly curious if the Republican Party will implode next year.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

3 winners and 1 loser from the fourth Republican presidential debate

I'm calling it -- We're going to see a Christie/Haley ticket.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:11 pm
For the Republicans or a third party?

In other news, I noticed that Liz Cheney's book is #1 in at least four categories on Amazon, and has been out of stock for several days.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:20 pm
Gary wrote:
That ticket would attract the votes of a lot of moderates who dislike both Trump and Biden. And then there's this:

The finest speech ever given in a presidential debate

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:20 pm
Gary wrote:

In other news, I noticed that Liz Cheney's book is #1 in at least four categories on Amazon, and has been out of stock for several days.
The GOP. Trump is only embraced by a small, rabid group of nutjobs. His legal issues are going to mount after January 1 as well, which will put quite a damper on is re-election aspirations (my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it).
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

scottydog wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:18 am
That ticket would attract the votes of a lot of moderates who dislike both Trump and Biden. And then there's this:
Yes, I think either Haley or Christie could beat Biden. If either or both ran as an independent ticket, I think they would hurt Comrade Donald more. The biggest danger there is their being too successful, so that neither Donald or Biden got the required 270 Electoral votes.
I don't know about it being the finest speech, but I agree with his assessments.
Gary wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:05 pm
The GOP. Trump is only embraced by a small, rabid group of nutjobs. His legal issues are going to mount after January 1 as well, which will put quite a damper on is re-election aspirations (my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it).
I think that's true. I think the Republican powers-that-be, both in terms of the big donors and the party officials, really want The Donald gone and will do everything they can to make it happen.
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

What's with all the Uncle hate these days? :mad: :lol:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:10 pm
I think either Haley or Christie could beat Biden. If either or both ran as an independent ticket, I think they would hurt Comrade Donald more. The biggest danger there is their being too successful, so that neither Donald or Biden got the required 270 Electoral votes.
I'm beginning to think a 3rd party candidate who syphons a lot of votes from the major parties is a real possibility. What would happen if no one ticket gets to 270 Electoral votes? Are we at the mercy of the of the houses of Congress? That's a huge concern.
Gary
Senator
Senator

Post by Gary »

scottydog wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:25 am
RJDiogenes wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:10 pm
I think either Haley or Christie could beat Biden. If either or both ran as an independent ticket, I think they would hurt Comrade Donald more. The biggest danger there is their being too successful, so that neither Donald or Biden got the required 270 Electoral votes.
I'm beginning to think a 3rd party candidate who syphons a lot of votes from the major parties is a real possibility. What would happen if no one ticket gets to 270 Electoral votes? Are we at the mercy of the of the houses of Congress? That's a huge concern.
Yes. If there is no clear winner of 270 Electoral Votes, then the election goes to Congress.
The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.
Meanwhile, Matt Gaetz is projecting.

Alito nailed by legal expert for sloppy work to get his way -- I'd seen rumblings about Alito being a legal dunderhead, so this comes as no surprise. Clarence Thomas is no better.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Gary wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:32 pm
Meanwhile, Matt Gaetz is projecting.
I'd love to see this guy's medical history, because I'm convinced he has some kind of genetic defect.
Alito nailed by legal expert for sloppy work to get his way -- I'd seen rumblings about Alito being a legal dunderhead, so this comes as no surprise. Clarence Thomas is no better.
So much for the Supreme Court being the creme de la creme.

RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

These stats about the Russian military are pretty amazing, if accurate.

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:55 pm
These stats about the Russian military are pretty amazing, if accurate.
"Russia has lost 315,000 on the battlefield." Could that possibly be true? The number is staggering :no:
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^ :no:
Horrific.