Infirmary Thread #21: Say "Aaargh!!"

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Re: Infirmary Thread #21: Say "Aaargh!!"

Post by huggle »

usually I am. The tendeon seens to have already started to heal as the pain is almost gone.
What I dread most atm is the daily anti-thrombosis injection I shall have to give myself after the plastic cast has been delivered and fitted. I am scared of needes and it already costs me all my willpower to prick my finger for the blood sugar test :box: :blush:
But as the saying goes: what must be has to be.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^Yikes! I'm not sure I could do that.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Yeah. The needle stick maybe, but not the injection. :scared:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

:grape:
Elara
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Elara »

oops, forgot. Injuries, I've had a few. Big bruise on my right arm... not sure how I did that. I remember thinking: "That's gonna bruise." but what I did is not coming to me. :lol:
A little skin burn from the cold.
A pulled muscle? in my left side rib cage. I was trying to pull a brace out of the snow, it was slightly frozen down and the snow was hard packed, so I pulled, it did not come, but I felt a stinging/stabbing in my side, and stopped what I was doing. I've been uncomfortable since.
Sore from all the shoveling, and I've not done near what son has done. More yet to do, too.
A big chunk came off the roof as I stepped near, which would have been hilarious, and I did almost start to laugh, just as something hard stabbed me on the head. It was an icicle, with the added weight of the snow, it left a tender spot on my head.
I think that's it, of course a migraine when the storms hit. :)
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:35 pm
Do you wrap it up?
I have wrist braces, I just don't know where they are, yet. It has eased up, so now only hurts when I do something stupid. Yes, which is often. :lol:
RJDiogenes wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:35 pm
Have you ever considered moving to California? The climate would be better for you and you could get a job as a stuntwoman. :lol:
When I was young, and standing on my horse's back, jumping on as he trotted, etc... I actually considered if it was possible to be a stunt woman. College was out, so I did attempt look into what it would take to ship my horses, where I could stay, found out that was really difficult to do when one knew nothing about it, and just gave up.Of course, that was also the point when westerns were dying out, and with my weak ankles, I needed the horses, so I'd say it wouldn't have worked out. It would have been fun to try, though. Now, not so much. :lol:
huggle wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:57 am
I'd recommend moving further North and becoming a park ranger in Big Sur: lots of soft moss covering the ground and most of the trees. A padded workspace ;)
As much as I would enjoy that, people are too nuts, so being a park ranger would be scary. Though I could use the padded work place. :lol:
huggle wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:55 am
usually I am. The tendeon seens to have already started to heal as the pain is almost gone.
What I dread most atm is the daily anti-thrombosis injection I shall have to give myself after the plastic cast has been delivered and fitted. I am scared of needes and it already costs me all my willpower to prick my finger for the blood sugar test :box: :blush:
But as the saying goes: what must be has to be.
Glad it's feeling better.
Just pinch some skin together and ease the needle in. I was surprised how easy it was and how little pain, almost every time. :D
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Elara wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:34 pm
I was trying to pull a brace out of the snow, it was slightly frozen down and the snow was hard packed, so I pulled, it did not come, but I felt a stinging/stabbing in my side, and stopped what I was doing.
Careful. That's how my Mother mangled her vertebrae.
A big chunk came off the roof as I stepped near, which would have been hilarious, and I did almost start to laugh, just as something hard stabbed me on the head. It was an icicle, with the added weight of the snow, it left a tender spot on my head.
You're lucky it didn't impale your cranium. :eek:
Please visit RJ's Drive-In. :) And read Trunkards. :) And then there's my Heroes Essays at U of R. :)

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

Elara wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:34 pm
A little skin burn from the cold.
Isn't that a polite way of saying you got some frostbite? :eek:
huggle
Primus Pilus Centurion
Primus Pilus Centurion

Post by huggle »

Thanks for the tip. It does indeed work better than pushing the needle in straight. I start to run out of unpricked belly, though. I think I'll switch to thigh for a few days. I am using a local anesthetic which helps overcome the fear: if you don't feel it it's not that bad. Nevertheless I need a spoonful of valerian drops - a mild sedative - before I manage to harpoon myself.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Wasn't that a Sci-Fi movie? :D

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

Yeah, I did a real number on my back.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's worrisome. It's a sensitive area. Have you tried putting heat on it. My Mother used a lot of those self-heating pads when she was hurt and they gave her a lot of relief. In fact, I think she's still using them.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

I'm wearing something like that now.
I knew it would probably be a problem though. I felt my back go out while I was working. But I was in the middle of the project, and I was going to have to do some contortions to get out of where I was anyway, so I just soldiered on.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

Ouch. That sounds just like my Mother's story from when she was flipping her mattress. Maybe you should have it looked at.

Lupine
Imperator
Imperator

Post by Lupine »

^It's better (so far!) today.
RJDiogenes
Olympian
Olympian

Post by RJDiogenes »

That's good. :yes:

scottydog
Imperator
Imperator

Post by scottydog »

The entire month of February went by without reports of a single infirmary. That must be some sort of ReNext record :lol:

Yesterday, I forgot that I was 64 years old and did some running on the track at the gym. Big Mistake. My right hamstring is now badly pulled, or strained. Putting ice on it afterward really helped. Today it's less sore. I hope I can bike-ride and dance today.